Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-03-2007, 18:09   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Pub near Bull Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Ireland View Post
Gentlemen the little lad's pub was the australian inn a thwaites house I was one of the little lad's it takes an oldun from out of town to come up with this
cheers
Off thread, will get told off, however .. less of the old please Tony, being senior to yer goodself; but noticed this is your birthday, so Best Wishes. 1 Post since Feb 2006 !!.. ought to be ashamed of yourself. !!

Wonder which pub you will be in tonight ?
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-04-2007, 20:26   #17

No doubt there are a number of Pubs answering to the name " Little Lad`s Pub" but pre war and during the war at least, the Horse Shoe which was on the corner of Crawshaw St & School St was certainly a contender. There is a great photo of it in Atarah`s Website " Accrington Uncovered". Just as an afterthought I might mention that around 1939 I was one of the "Little Lads" patronising that pub.
Owd Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 23:46   #18
God Member

I remember the Horse Shoe, my uncle Fred told me when I was almost fourteen that I could get served in there. He was right, not long after my 14th birthday I went in, put two bob on the bar and asked for a pint of mild ... and I was served! Never looked back. Time to pull a beer from the fridge and enjoy the mild evening.

It was a Thwaites' house I believe.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2007, 23:49   #19
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I don't remember any Horseshoe. Does anybody else?
the Horseshoe willow was a thwaites house on the far corner of the street that was by the side of the blockade, the gable of the pub on the street were observor was with nags head at the top (school st) i think it is. spent many an happy evening/morning in it.
Old 30-04-2007, 23:53   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Ireland View Post
Gentlemen the little lad's pub was the australian inn a thwaites house I was one of the little lad's it takes an oldun from out of town to come up with this
cheers
our paths must have crossed in there i,m sure, it wasn,t big enough not to have.
Old 03-05-2007, 15:57   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
our paths must have crossed in there i,m sure, it wasn,t big enough not to have.
I was usually so hammered in there that the only things crossed were my eyes.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 21:05   #22
Resident Waffler

Ah The Australian. I remember where that was. I wasn't thinking of that direction. That was kind of at the bottom of Milnshaw Lane wasn't it?

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2007, 22:28   #23
Apprentice Geriatric

Cool Re: Pub near Bull Bridge

The Australian Inn – I remember it well.

I was 16 when I was able to buy my first pint of mild in a pub. I didn’t look 18 but the landlord turned a blind eye to such niceties just as long as we behaved ourselves. Which of course we did. Once outside that was a different matter.

It was at the bottom of Castle Street round the corner.

At the other end of the Bull Bridge was a Blacksmith next door to a newsagents. As kids we used to watch fascinated as the blacksmith re-shod the great big shire horses, whilst wrinkling our noses at the smell.
Old 02-11-2008, 14:13   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITZY View Post
Does anyone remember what the pub, close to Bull Bridge, on one of the streets now demolished was called that had the nickname - 'The Little Lads Pub.?
Sorry cannot tell you more just talking of times gone and it came into conversation but none of us can remember anything else about it.
Was it called the Austrailian
bondi38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 14:57   #25
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

I was 16 when I was able to buy my first pint of mild in a pub. I didn’t look 18 but the landlord turned a blind eye to such niceties just as long as we behaved ourselves. Which of course we did. Once outside that was a different matter.

At the other end of the Bull Bridge was a Blacksmith next door to a newsagents. As kids we used to watch fascinated as the blacksmith re-shod the great big shire horses, whilst wrinkling our noses at the smell.
your right , at the bottom of castle the corner of the plec, the blacksmiths was on crawshaw st
tosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 20:46   #26
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owd Bert View Post
No doubt there are a number of Pubs answering to the name " Little Lad`s Pub" but pre war and during the war at least, the Horse Shoe which was on the corner of Crawshaw St & School St was certainly a contender. There is a great photo of it in Atarah`s Website " Accrington Uncovered". Just as an afterthought I might mention that around 1939 I was one of the "Little Lads" patronising that pub.
Your right Owd Bert, it was Nu 17 School St, the first landlord was John Nuttall.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 20:54   #27
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

owd bert is spot on, the pub widely known as the little lads pub, was indeed the "Horseshoe" a Thwaites establishment were a 13 yr old cashy used to frequent.
Old 02-11-2008, 21:04   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambutty View Post

That was Fitzpatricks it was at the bottom of Crawshaw St, the place next door was a wholesale distributer, not a proper newsagents, next door but one to that was my Aunty.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 14:05   #29
Resting In Peace

Horse Shoe.jpg

The Horse Shoe
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 17:32   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
owd bert is spot on, the pub widely known as the little lads pub, was indeed the "Horseshoe" a Thwaites establishment were a 13 yr old cashy used to frequent.
Always said you are forward for your age cashy

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..