Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 29-12-2015, 09:31   #16

Re: Radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by dotti34 View Post
The girl who said 'she's my best friend and I hate her' and 'I'll scream and scream 'til I'm sick' - was she on ITMA as well. Her name was Violet or something like that.
Violet Elizabeth Bott in Just William. She was portrayed by Bonnie Langford in a TV adaptation.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-12-2015, 11:28   #17
Senior Member+

I have my radio alarm set for 8 AM and wake up to radio four extra on DAB radio.
All the old programs are on. Round the Horne was on today.. Goons another day.
Old 29-12-2015, 18:50   #18

Hilversum is in Holland.
davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 19:46   #19
Beacon of light

Thank you....yes, I actually found that out quite a while ago...it was just one of the things I wondered when I was a girl looking at the dial of the wireless.

I once got my legs slapped really hard by my Grandad...my crime was to be caught fiddling with the knobs of the radio.......needless to say I didn't do it again.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 20:57   #20

That's right, Michael, is was Just William. The mother would scream out WILLIAM.

There were some great characters on the radio shows. Same catchphrases every week but never failed to make us laugh. Real comedians who didn't need to rely on swear words to be amusing.
maxthecollie and Michael1954 like this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 22:02   #21
Full Member+

I loved Al Read. He never told a joke as such but was hilarious. I listen to the Top Twenty every Sunday night from 11pm till midnight on Radio Luxenbourg.. I would have a piece of paper and a pen ready to write them all down. We could get Radio Luxenbourg on the 'big' radio not a transistor. Don't think they had been invented when I was listening to it. I remember shows like ' Double you money.' and 'Take you pick' being on there too. Both those came on tv years later. A favourite of my parents was Wilfred Pickles in 'Have a go.' with his wife Mabel and when someone won money he would say 'Give em the money Barney.' I believe Violet Carson who later was Enid Sharples in Corrie was the pianist for the show for many years.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2015, 22:15   #22
Full Member+

Ron and Eth, Margaret were in 'Take it from here.' not Meet the Huggets. Dick Bentley was Ron and June Whitfield was Eth.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 16:41   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Would that be Bob Wilkinsons where you took the battery to be charged.
I used to go there for lamp oil and coal bricks.....oh yes and donkey stones if the rag man hadn't got any.
I can remember Bob Wilkinsons shop on Nuttall Street. He was the "Ironmonger" and had a huge product range in his shop.
To get to the original question of "Radios" I remember being at my Grandfathers at number 1 Belfield road very often, and having to listen (without comments) to the "Archers"! This programme was the love of both my Grandfather and my Aunty Edna.

Cheers
landhusweg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 17:07   #24
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowlf View Post
Ron and Eth, Margaret were in 'Take it from here.' not Meet the Huggets. Dick Bentley was Ron and June Whitfield was Eth.
Yes of course it was...when I typed 'Meet the Huggetts' it didn't seem quite right......but I couldn't think of Take it from here.
It was Jack Warner and Kathleen Harrison in that wasn't it?
I used to enjoy all those types of program...I suppose they were what Coronation Street is now
Old 30-12-2015, 19:30   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
I can remember Bob Wilkinsons shop on Nuttall Street. He was the "Ironmonger" and had a huge product range in his shop.
To get to the original question of "Radios" I remember being at my Grandfathers at number 1 Belfield road very often, and having to listen (without comments) to the "Archers"! This programme was the love of both my Grandfather and my Aunty Edna.

Cheers
Seems like theres a few owd Woodnookers like this thread, no matter where they live now, aye it were Wilkys lamp oyle shop.
I used to do all my Granddads shopping on Nuttall St durying the last war, fully armed wi ration books Co-op cheques and big basket, in fact you could do all your weekly shopping and never need to leave Nuttall St, I particularly remember one shop, about where the last post office was, I got granddads tobbaco there, gave him a penny and a 1/2 penny, he would put them on the scales, & cut pieces of black twist off a big coil until the balanced, then call in at my other grandma's on Edmund St, before I took Grandad Fenwick his shopping on Higher Antley St, he was married, 2nd wife, but us kids were not allowed to call her grandma, she had to be reffered to as aunty, none of us liked her, my two sisters refused to visit, Any way them days are long gone, but them were the days, you could even get your table legs French polished on Nuttall St. I could say that Nuttall St was in my life every day until my twenties, used it every day going to Woodnook Council School, and then when I started work at 14, going to Lang Bridges.

Last edited by Retlaw; 30-12-2015 at 19:36.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 19:35   #26
Beacon of light

You are dead right Retlaw....you could get everything you needed on Nuttall St.
I used to run to the co-op reciting the number all the way there... By the time I got there I had forgotten what I had gone for
Old 30-12-2015, 20:30   #27
Senior Member+

The first 'radio' that I actually owned was a crystal set. It must have been the late 40's, my father must have got me the bits and I built it in an old cigar box.
You poked a spring loaded pointer around on the crystal until you found a signal. You never knew who you'd get and you could rarely find them again and the signal was awful.
But it was magic!
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 20:52   #28
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
The first 'radio' that I actually owned was a crystal set. It must have been the late 40's, my father must have got me the bits and I built it in an old cigar box.
You poked a spring loaded pointer around on the crystal until you found a signal. You never knew who you'd get and you could rarely find them again and the signal was awful.
But it was magic!
Hoody Blell Gordon, crystal radio's were obsoloty by then, I remember my father telling me he made one when he was a teenager, and that was during WW1.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2015, 21:34   #29
Senior Member+

Retlaw, money was short, kids didn't have their own radios, when my aunt finally gave me a portable radio I couldn't afford the batteries, it ate them.
You could listen to the crystal set in bed with earphones and the aerial wire hanging all round the room on the picture rail, no batteries.
As for obsolete, you can still buy the kits although they cost a hell of a lot more than a miniature pocket radio. Just a scientific novelty now.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2015, 08:00   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Seems like theres a few owd Woodnookers like this thread, no matter where they live now, aye it were Wilkys lamp oyle shop.
I used to do all my Granddads shopping on Nuttall St durying the last war, fully armed wi ration books Co-op cheques and big basket, in fact you could do all your weekly shopping and never need to leave Nuttall St, I particularly remember one shop, about where the last post office was, I got granddads tobbaco there, gave him a penny and a 1/2 penny, he would put them on the scales, & cut pieces of black twist off a big coil until the balanced, then call in at my other grandma's on Edmund St, before I took Grandad Fenwick his shopping on Higher Antley St, he was married, 2nd wife, but us kids were not allowed to call her grandma, she had to be reffered to as aunty, none of us liked her, my two sisters refused to visit, Any way them days are long gone, but them were the days, you could even get your table legs French polished on Nuttall St. I could say that Nuttall St was in my life every day until my twenties, used it every day going to Woodnook Council School, and then when I started work at 14, going to Lang Bridges.
Exactly right Retlaw.
The shop you mentioned getting the "Black Twist", we would go there for some "Sarsaparilla" think the spelling is correct?
Then there was "Cowgills Butcher" and further down the road another butchers shop, where I delivered meat for him.
Somebody just mentioned the Coop and remembering the coop number, this brought back my memories of shopping there on my own and sometimes when I was very young with my Mother and believe it or not her number was 109823, which I have just remembered.

Cheers
landhusweg is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
broadcasting, mother, music, radio, television

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..