Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree20Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 16-06-2013, 20:33   #1
Junior Member+

Recommend me some pubs/ places to visit round Accy please :)

Hi all
I'm moving to Church in a couple of weeks and need some recommendations of pubs with decent cider (if possible) but generally pleasant ones to frequent. Tried looking at reviews online and it's a nightmare finding accurate/ up to date reviews. Also things like recommended delivery services for Indian/Chinese food.
Where in the area would you recommend visiting ie parks, beauty spots, museums etc. I can't drive so have to rely on Shanksy's and the bus/ pushbike but give me some nice ideas please
Looking for stuff round Church, Accy, Ossy etc
Ta muchly for your help
BlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 16-06-2013, 20:41   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Recommend me some pubs/ places to visit round Accy please :)

For walks you could perhaps look at the today in pictures section, might give you some ideas of parks etc,
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...res-61576.html
Takeaways, I prefer for Indian - shaha joli or akash, and chinese - kwong ming ( don`t think they deliver though but isn`t far from church)
BlackCat likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 20:47   #3
Full Member+

Hi BlackCat, ossy has some nice places within walking distance from Church. Foxhill nature reserve, Rhyddings park, the countryside round Stanhill (Cockers lodge). Also, if you take a walk up Union Road you'll find a good selection of shops, takeaways, pubs etc. A walk up New Lane takes you to open countryside where you'll find the Brittania and Duckworth Hall pubs and get something nice to eat too.hope this helps!
BlackCat likes this.
Old 16-06-2013, 20:50   #4
Senior Member+

Are you moving from the Christ Church area?
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...rea-64382.html
cashman, Restless and BlackCat like this.
Old 16-06-2013, 21:17   #5
God Member

Oakhill Park up Manchester rd in Accy, Haworth Art Gallery is just up from the park too, you could take a walk along the canal, up Coppice etc
BlackCat likes this.
Old 16-06-2013, 21:22   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

If yer moving to church, I started using the Kwong Ming Chinkys in early 70s when i lived yon, since then have lived all oer, but still use it, still the best in Hyndburn, in fact we had one friday, only do take aways as gpick says but easy walk if yer in church, its what i used to do so i know.
BlackCat likes this.
Old 16-06-2013, 21:26   #7
Resting in Peace

I Agree with cashy best Chinese takeaway in Hyndburn I get a beef curry and fried rice every Friday for tea and there is enough in them for me Breakfast or dinner the following day
And you can always drop in the Railway Pub in Accy on sat while doing your shopping we will be there
flashy, Mog and BlackCat like this.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2013, 22:22   #8
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

If yeh got kids Rhyddings Park up ossy is a nice afternoon, fer em got animals, mine used to love seein em after swings.
BlackCat likes this.
Old 16-06-2013, 22:31   #9
Junior Member+

Ooh thank you all for your replies! Much appreciated Lol I'm actually moving from Lancaster but am originally from Hereford so I like my rural excursions. I've been lurking on here for a couple of months but waited until the contracts were exchanged before signing up as I didn't want to jinx it!
Careful I may take you up on the pub visit as I'll be doing some exploring once I've moved in- you'll be able to spot me a mile off with my accent and my hair
I'm hoping to get involved with the Prospects Foundation as I am just finishing an RHS course but want some more practical experience. I'm also hoping to look up some local history for the house.
It's a good few years since I've been shopping round Accy but am excited to be there again and to make new friends
What's the general opinion on the Thorn Inn? Yay or Nay?
Old 16-06-2013, 22:32   #10
Junior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
If yeh got kids Rhyddings Park up ossy is a nice afternoon, fer em got animals, mine used to love seein em after swings.
No kids but I like seeing animals too
Old 16-06-2013, 22:38   #11
Senior Member+

One of our favourite walks that I found thanks to the today in pics is along the canal, through castle clough woods, then hambledon woods, up the coppice then back home. Around 10 and a half miles, but the dogs love it. You`ll also get to see Restless`s boat.
Restless likes this.
Old 16-06-2013, 22:44   #12
Senior Member+

As for the Thorn, depends what you`re looking for, my kind of pub really, a bit rough, pool table ( last time I was in ), footy on tele. If you`re after a wine bar, then probably not for you.
Old 17-06-2013, 16:18   #13
Junior Member+

That sounds good to me Gpick- prefer a good honest proper pub. I drink pints not cocktails!
gpick24 likes this.
Old 17-06-2013, 16:45   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
Ooh thank you all for your replies! Much appreciated Lol I'm actually moving from Lancaster but am originally from Hereford so I like my rural excursions. I've been lurking on here for a couple of months but waited until the contracts were exchanged before signing up as I didn't want to jinx it!
Careful I may take you up on the pub visit as I'll be doing some exploring once I've moved in- you'll be able to spot me a mile off with my accent and my hair
I'm hoping to get involved with the Prospects Foundation as I am just finishing an RHS course but want some more practical experience. I'm also hoping to look up some local history for the house.
It's a good few years since I've been shopping round Accy but am excited to be there again and to make new friends
What's the general opinion on the Thorn Inn? Yay or Nay?
You'll have to be quick if you want to shop in Accy as the shops are disappearing fast
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2013, 23:38   #15
Senior Member+

Just don't go in any pubs down Church and youll be al right

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..