Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-04-2009, 12:09   #16
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Re: Refund or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Any body selling to a third party has to comply with the sale of goods act, in as much as that if you say buy a second hand car in a private deal say, it has to be in exceptable working order, if that is how its sold to you, the days of breaking down on the corner with the gear box filled with sawdust have long gone
That is almost true. If you buy a car privately the sale of goods act to not apply. If you buy from a dealer though it does.
Old 28-04-2009, 15:03   #17

Well to be honest that went pretty much how i expected it to.

He said its out of warranty, you have had it 2month....you were happy with it when you left.

I pointed out all the faults i have since discovered, mentioned trading standards, asked for refund, he pointed to sign on wall saying "no refunds" i explained that on the trading standards website it explains that that is not allowed and that regardless of the length of warranty offered the goods had to last a reasonable amount of time. (i even suggested he check the website and he refused).

He got grumpy and basically told me he was registered with microsoft and pays his licence every year, and that if i wanted to go to trading standards he wouldnt stop me because he had done nothing wrong.

Went to citizens advice bereau and have been given the phone number for consumer advice (i think thats what its called).

And the shop is Kings computers on Blackburn road, id advise giving it a miss, wish i had.
Old 28-04-2009, 15:06   #18
God Member

Get on to the consumer advice straight away, you must be fuming...........i`ll be keeping well clear of that place....
pipinfort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 15:13   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipinfort View Post
Get on to the consumer advice straight away, you must be fuming...........i`ll be keeping well clear of that place....
I was tempted to throw the laptop through his window as i was leaving but decided its best to do things the civil way
Old 28-04-2009, 15:22   #20
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
I was tempted to throw the laptop through his window as i was leaving but decided its best to do things the civil way
Speedy mate n old philosophy of mine= Don't get mad- Get Even.
Old 28-04-2009, 15:48   #21
Senior Member+

More Fool Him.

Do you have household Insurance with Legal Cover?

If so this will help with a claim against the shop owner, or give some propper legal advise.

Main thing is Fight dont give up, good luck.
Old 28-04-2009, 16:17   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Speedy mate n old philosophy of mine= Don't get mad- Get Even.
Where we twins seperated at birth cashy, you went left and I went right thats just my way of doing things too
Old 28-04-2009, 16:33   #23
God Member

even if he is licenced with microsoft which i highly doubt he is he still provided you with a pirate instalation of vista , if by some miracle he is licenced it depends what he is licenced to install , if i remember correctly just been licenced to say install xp home dosnt mean he can go putting xp pro and vista on to machines

besides the operating system issue there is also a technical fault that you pointed out to him before his so called warranty ran out and jsut because he didnt fix it within the warranty period dosnt mean its no longer expected to be repaired

when i took my car back 1 day before its 3 year warranty ran out the repair wasnt done until a week later but i had reported the fault before the warranty ran out so they had to do the repair under warranty

there isnt one shop along blackburn road i would trust with a computeror many of the others set up in the back of shops etc , they are ok for blank dvds and cheap inks or unblocking mobile phones but thats about it

see what trading standards say andalso report them to microsoft at the address in myearlier post , you gave him plenty of opportunity to resolve the issue so bollocks to him

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 28-04-2009 at 16:35.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 17:02   #24
Full Member+

Does it mention in any paperwork that the laptop was loaded with a licenced copy of Vista?

Your dealer has to include a single licensed product on each computer he supplies, even if he is selling it on someone elses behalf.

Quote the windows Product ID with any communication with Microsoft.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2009, 17:25   #25
Senior Member+

Sale of goods act still applies, if need be get a solicitors letter threatening to take him to small claims court, that should make him shift pretty quickly, or alternatively tell him you will write to local rag. Either way he is very much in the wrong.
Old 28-04-2009, 18:12   #26
God Member

well this site is viewed quite a lot by not only members but guests so hes probably already peed on his chips with a few people already

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 12:08   #27

Just spoke to a really nice lady from consumer direct, after explaining to her the issues and giving her details of the shop and the problems encountered, she advised me to check thier website and use one of the template letters to make a complaint.

Consumer Direct (very useful site if you have any problems similar to this).

So just put together a letter detailing the faults and the outcome i would like, just need to send it to him now.

Anybody know if i have to accept a repair or replacement or can i refuse those and ask purely for a refund? Not sure i want another product that has come from his shop as i have heard numerous people have had problems there.
Old 29-04-2009, 12:09   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
well this site is viewed quite a lot by not only members but guests so hes probably already peed on his chips with a few people already
I had to google the name of his shop to find the address and this topic was higher in the search results than his address.
Old 29-04-2009, 13:01   #29
God Member

Posted via Mobile Device
No such thing as a shop being licensed to install all versions of windows without individual license stickers. He is talking ball cocks. He i was you i would in back armed with the microsoft number for piracy and tell him you will happily call them from your mobile whilst there unless he provides a full refund there and then. .
entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 13:06   #30
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
No such thing as a shop being licensed to install all versions of windows without individual license stickers. He is talking ball cocks. He i was you i would in back armed with the microsoft number for piracy and tell him you will happily call them from your mobile whilst there unless he provides a full refund there and then. .
well if thats the case GO FOR IT Speedy.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..