Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2009, 17:58   #61
Resting in Peace

Re: Refund or not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boeing Guy View Post
Just googled it and its top now, hehehe
Not on Speedy's list it ain't BG
Old 07-05-2009, 20:09   #62

Just reading this thread. I purchased a lap top recently form Kings computers Blackburn Rd. Same problem but i asked my son what could be wrong with the lap top as it had stopped working, he thought that may be it was the same problem as you explained and the man in the shop stated it was okay because of the sticker on the back he did something to it and its working now, not sure what he did unfortunately not well up on computers i was about to ask for a refund because he informed me on purchase their was a three month warrenty on the item, If he hadnt fixed the problem i would not have left the shop without a refund or exchanged for another lap top he was i must say nice and pleasant infact i was going to recommend the shop to my friends but obviously if yours and my computer where not right it makes me wonder and perhaps i was just lucky he could fix it but still dont know if its legal as usless with computers.
turkishdelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2009, 20:16   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
I bought a laptop 2 months ago, second hand from a shop in accrington (wont mention which one but it is an independent one not a chain store).

When i bought it the guy told me it was in mint condition.

Got it home and discovered the battery was knackered and would need replacing (laptop only works when plugged in - kinda delates the purpose of a laptop if i cant move around with it), went in 2 days later and he said he would order me one (still pestering him and still waiting for this battery).

Then this morning i switched the laptop on only to find out that the laptop wont even open windows because the copy of vista installed on it is not genuine.

I have noticed in his shop a sign that says no refunds only exchange, is that legally binding or can i demand a refund on the basis the laptop was not as described??

The laptop was supplied with a 30day warranty which obviously has expired but i still have the reciept, and a 2nd reciept saying im waiting on a battery got this when i noticed the warranty was almost up as i had a feeling the guy was gonna mess me around.

Any advice???
And you can demand a refund absoulutely any problem i will go with you.
Old 09-05-2009, 15:23   #64
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkishdelight View Post
Just reading this thread. I purchased a lap top recently form Kings computers Blackburn Rd. Same problem but i asked my son what could be wrong with the lap top as it had stopped working, he thought that may be it was the same problem as you explained and the man in the shop stated it was okay because of the sticker on the back he did something to it and its working now, not sure what he did unfortunately not well up on computers i was about to ask for a refund because he informed me on purchase their was a three month warrenty on the item, If he hadnt fixed the problem i would not have left the shop without a refund or exchanged for another lap top he was i must say nice and pleasant infact i was going to recommend the shop to my friends but obviously if yours and my computer where not right it makes me wonder and perhaps i was just lucky he could fix it but still dont know if its legal as usless with computers.
if you were getting a warning saying that your copy was pirated and then it suddenly wasnt its more than likely he ran teh WGA fix which tricks the validation process into thinking your copy is legit

these can run out so if this is the case then expect the warning to come back when the new validation process picks up on it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2009, 23:34   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
if you were getting a warning saying that your copy was pirated and then it suddenly wasnt its more than likely he ran teh WGA fix which tricks the validation process into thinking your copy is legit

these can run out so if this is the case then expect the warning to come back when the new validation process picks up on it
You are probably correct here because when i purchased the lap top it worked okay for about one month then it was like i coulnt get on the internet so i will wait if this happens again i will be demanding a full refund. Thanks for the information.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:41   #66
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
You are probably correct here because when i purchased the lap top it worked okay for about one month then it was like i coulnt get on the internet so i will wait if this happens again i will be demanding a full refund. Thanks for the information.
Having a dodgy copy of Windows will not stop you getting onto the internet.

Does your laptop have a Microsoft label on it with your licence key on it? Is it the correct version of Windows - as in do you have Vista on the laptop and the label is for Vista?
Old 10-05-2009, 13:54   #67
Senior Member+

Quote:
true the WGA message wont stop your pc from accessing the internet...after all microsoft want you to so you can easily buy a key from them

you have to get the new WGA crack when they update the validation software. Shouldnt take long after buying a computer with dodgy windows(matter of months) since microsoft update it regularly
Restless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 17:10   #68

Just a quick update on this.

Sent a letter to the shop via recorded delivery. Checked on its progrss (finally found the reciept from post office with reference number, dosey me misplaced it). And they have left a "while you were out card" with the shop and its waiting at Accy post office for him to collect.

Gonna ring consumer direct again in a few days to find out what i should do next.
Old 26-05-2009, 19:59   #69
God Member

Wonder what would happen if they don't pick it up....
Old 26-05-2009, 20:10   #70
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AccyLass28 View Post
Wonder what would happen if they don't pick it up....
If he reads AccyWeb he won't go and collect it will he?
Old 26-05-2009, 20:15   #71
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
If he reads AccyWeb he won't go and collect it will he?

Maybe not... but was wondering more if something could be done if he didn't receive the copy
If he has read this, maybe he is leaning more to not getting the letter, cos then to him there is no proof of complaint?
Old 26-05-2009, 21:09   #72
God Member

i think if they keep ignoring it then it will either be snt to court or trading standards will pay a visit its just teh hassle you have to go through to get them out

if theres dodgy software on his systems and hes using pirate software it would be sensible to et this out of teh way and sorted as its not teh smartest thing to do to let it get to teh point where you have trading standards sniffing around your shop especially if you are selling dodgy gear

probably just a smart arse who thinks the customer will go away and give up

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 26-05-2009 at 21:11.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2009, 22:13   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
probably just a smart arse who thinks the customer will go away and give up
If thats the case then he clearly doesnt know me, Never one to back down from anything me.
Old 27-05-2009, 10:06   #74
Resting in Peace

Quote:
If thats the case then he clearly doesnt know me, Never one to back down from anything me.
Carry on Speedy, Sharks like this need showing up for what they are
Old 27-05-2009, 12:51   #75
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Just a quick update on this.

Sent a letter to the shop via recorded delivery. Checked on its progrss (finally found the reciept from post office with reference number, dosey me misplaced it). And they have left a "while you were out card" with the shop and its waiting at Accy post office for him to collect.

Gonna ring consumer direct again in a few days to find out what i should do next.
Why not hand deliver a copy of the letter to him. Take somebody along with you and mark the envelope and the letter 'Witnessed hand delivery'
JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..