Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-05-2009, 20:59   #1

route up hambledon hill

does anyone know the route to take to get up hambledon hill ? i did the run as a teenager but cant remember what route we took.

im after taking mountain bike up there as i enjoyed riding around on moleside on sunday.

cheers
Old 18-05-2009, 21:13   #2
God Member

Re: route up hambledon hill

forward always help Phil
Old 18-05-2009, 21:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
forward always help Phil

lol very funny, im after a public foot path route as i dont fancy getting blasted by a farmer
Old 19-05-2009, 12:03   #4

There is a road up there on the Dunnockshaw side.

It's gated just at the bottom of the hill itself though
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 12:08   #5
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

Have a look at this, he used to come on here as Rocky.
Hamledon hill loop, from the Whittakers Arms

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2009, 18:32   #6

The easiest way is up Sandy Lane, past the College, till you near the dual carriageway follow the Public Footpath sign to the right, down under the underpass and then follow the farm track up to the farm - just to the left of the farm building is a stile - over that and then follow the clear footpathup to the Kings Highway

Turn right and follow it round until just after a gate there is another stile to the left right by the reservoir - over that follow clear path up to gap in wall, through that and follow clear path up to Hambledon Trig point
Old 19-05-2009, 19:09   #7
Accy Red

Correct mickmc that is the easiest route but he is a mountain biker so that route wouldn't work for him.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Old 19-05-2009, 20:02   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagpuss View Post
Have a look at this, he used to come on here as Rocky.
Hamledon hill loop, from the Whittakers Arms

ive read that but thats actually moleside moor he is on about and i want to get right up on top of hamledon
Old 19-05-2009, 20:21   #9
Senior Member+

Is there a bridleway up there? You can't ride bikes on a footpath.
Old 19-05-2009, 20:34   #10
Accy Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ossywarrior View Post
ive read that but thats actually moleside moor he is on about and i want to get right up on top of hamledon
Come at it from the Haslingden side or the bog will get you and lift your bike over the stile and you can peddle to the top, I know it can be done because the last time I was up there, last summer, a biker joined me and my son for a rest.

Old 19-05-2009, 22:04   #11

Quote:
Come at it from the Haslingden side or the bog will get you and lift your bike over the stile and you can peddle to the top, I know it can be done because the last time I was up there, last summer, a biker joined me and my son for a rest.
the bogs dont bother me as ill make it up there, i may just have to go look thursday and plus i found a map with all the footpaths marked on it

plus im trying to do a route where i can make route going down the really good single track they have up there.
Old 20-05-2009, 04:31   #12

[I]"Correct mickmc that is the easiest route but he is a mountain biker so that route wouldn't work for him"

"Is there a bridleway up there? You can't ride bikes on a footpath
"

He asked for a route using footpaths...... and if you look at the OS map either on paper or online there are no footpaths or bridleways marked, that lead to the actual summit (trig point) of Great Hambledon..... but in my route there is an actual footpath that has clearly been used for many years.....In fact I walked this actual route 2 Sundays ago

And if mountain bikers restricted themselves to only using paths that didn't have stiles etc then they would have to stay away from most hill regions
Old 20-05-2009, 13:59   #13
Accy Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickmc View Post
And if mountain bikers restricted themselves to only using paths that didn't have stiles etc then they would have to stay away from most hill regions
Looked at your route again and you are correct, just a bit concerned with the farm you mention is he the one who doesn't like walkers?

I'd like to see someone cycle through the bog at the bottom of Hambledon, impossible.

Old 20-05-2009, 14:20   #14

The farm is Blue Slates, I walked this route thousands of times over the years and never had any problem, so long as you stay to the tracks, the only problem I ever saw, was when some kids were trying to access the natural spring, that is at the back of the property. mickmc is right with the route, its a great wander and easily accessible for an off road bike rider.
odders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2009, 17:24   #15

Quote:
Looked at your route again and you are correct, just a bit concerned with the farm you mention is he the one who doesn't like walkers?

I'd like to see someone cycle through the bog at the bottom of Hambledon, impossible.
Never had any problems with farmer in all times I've been up, said hello a few times....

The bog is more to the Hapton side of Hambledon - he shouldn't have to much problems up my way

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..