Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2018, 16:43   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Rutland Street

Rutland St was on my paper round in the early '50s - from Keneallys (?) on Lonsdale St.
Accrington Web
Old 12-03-2018, 10:59   #17
Full Member+

For the latest mystery location, we move to Ossy and a road I have never heard of. Is anyone familiar with Vale Lane Stanhill?

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 19:26   #18
Full Member+

Back in Accrington and I am looking to confirm a bit of deduction.
We have an 1891 census for Rough Lee Road Accrington, the houses are listed in order and we get to the unadopted road at the top.

Rough Lee House ( former maternity home is listed)
Quarry Hill House, which I assume is the large house on the left
and then we get to a group of houses listed as Eaton Bank, where the people we are interested in live at number 7.

I am pretty sure that this has to be the large house we can see from Royds Street but I just want to confirm my information and possibly find out more about the history of what looks like what was originally a very large house.

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Old 12-03-2018, 21:32   #19
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
Back in Accrington and I am looking to confirm a bit of deduction.
We have an 1891 census for Rough Lee Road Accrington, the houses are listed in order and we get to the unadopted road at the top.

Rough Lee House ( former maternity home is listed)
Quarry Hill House, which I assume is the large house on the left
and then we get to a group of houses listed as Eaton Bank, where the people we are interested in live at number 7.

I am pretty sure that this has to be the large house we can see from Royds Street but I just want to confirm my information and possibly find out more about the history of what looks like what was originally a very large house.
Ey up More Cambe. Ive lived in Rough Lee Rd for over 50 years, I was born in the old maternity, an in all that time I've only been up to Eaton Bank Rough Lee Rd 1/2 dozen times, My electors list for 1914, shows a Charles Dawson at No 7 Eaton Bank, pity can't help you any further.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 07:53   #20
Full Member+

Thanks Retlaw,

Our chap was William Chapman 1805 - 1904, Assistant manager in a print works, we think it was Broad Oak but the jury is still out.
In 1881, he and his family lived at 10 Hollins Lane, then in 1891, they are at Eaton Place and by 1901 they are round the corner at Holly Bank. Eaton Place and Holly bank are both houses I have never heard of and it is interesting to get some background on the houses themselves. Eaton Bank looks like a big house rather than separate ones.

I am plotting the co-ordinates of all the census records we have, onto a Google Map, only 50 more to do out of over 400, hence why I am at the 'W's.

Is the electors list available online? When we were in Accy library we got a lot of info from the books upstairs.

Old 13-03-2018, 09:26   #21
Senior Member+

Quote:
Thanks Retlaw,

Our chap was William Chapman 1805 - 1904, Assistant manager in a print works, we think it was Broad Oak but the jury is still out.
In 1881, he and his family lived at 10 Hollins Lane, then in 1891, they are at Eaton Place and by 1901 they are round the corner at Holly Bank. Eaton Place and Holly bank are both houses I have never heard of and it is interesting to get some background on the houses themselves. Eaton Bank looks like a big house rather than separate ones.

I am plotting the co-ordinates of all the census records we have, onto a Google Map, only 50 more to do out of over 400, hence why I am at the 'W's.

Is the electors list available online? When we were in Accy library we got a lot of info from the books upstairs.
How will having the co-ordinates help or be beneficial? I've not heard of this before.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 14:09   #22
I am Banned

Quote:
Thanks Retlaw,

Hiyer Morcambee, Eaton Bank is actually a row of houses, can't remember how many but the have the same numbers as our block lower down, posty used used to do his nut at one time, till tey got a different post code up top, then when they made the Christ Church School into flats, same, we still get folk knockin on our doar looking for the tenants.
I know the owner of Holly Bank quite well, but I've never actually gone thro the gateway.
Sorry the Accy 1914 electors is not online, all the stuff in these computers is the result of 30 years or more of being a nosy ******, and why, where, & how, can't elp misen, took me months back in the 1990's at Fulwood, got fed up of searchin the medal rolls for Pals so I did the lot, over 35500 of them, just so I could sit on me backside here, an find them at mi leisure. Same with the local news papers for WW1, skenning at a micro viewer in library did my ead in, so they managed to get me those old news papers, and I photographed the lot, my backside an the cushions on my swivel chair are old friends an can't stand being parted.
By the way John Simpson works in the Accy Library Reference room on Mondays & Fridays, now John really knows his stuff, if any thing exists in Accy Libray John will know.
Just been thinking over what you are trying to achieve, eck thump, an theer were me thinking I was the only Barmpot trying to do the impossible, and you turn up, Crikey Moses.
cashman and hilleluk like this.
Old 14-03-2018, 21:57   #23
Full Member+

The section of the Hodgkinson Clark website containing the info is not yet visible as it is a work in progress. I have been down in Accy for the past couple of days due to a family emergency but will post a link to the info when I get time. The coordinates are so that the positions can be plotted on a Google map but it will make more sense when you see the relevant census pages. I have the US and Canadian censuses to do yet but I am getting the UK ones working first.
Bob Dobson likes this.

Old 14-03-2018, 22:01   #24
Full Member+

It may have been John Simpson who dug out a plaque for us. It was a Roll of Honour from (I think) Avenue Parade Methodist Church. We had asked about it and he knew what we were referring to.

Old 14-03-2018, 23:44   #25
I am Banned

Quote:
It may have been John Simpson who dug out a plaque for us. It was a Roll of Honour from (I think) Avenue Parade Methodist Church. We had asked about it and he knew what we were referring to.
Yep it must have been John, those Rolls of Honour in the back room are what Bill Turner and I manage to rescue whilst we were reseachin Accy Pals. Unfortunately we didn't manage to rescue all of them, many had been skipped as buildings changed hands or were demolished, what was worst thou, the number of metal ones that had been stolen for scrap value.
Old 15-03-2018, 16:32   #26
Full Member+

Thanks are due to yourself and Bill for this then. Unfortunately, it was the Roll of Honour we were searching for but having photographed the plaque, it seemed a waste not to include it in our archives.
The Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter and Lofthouse Archive

Old 15-03-2018, 23:50   #27
I am Banned

Quote:
Thanks are due to yourself and Bill for this then. Unfortunately, it was the Roll of Honour we were searching for but having photographed the plaque, it seemed a waste not to include it in our archives.
This one is the only one I've ever seen fo Ave Pde.
I have come across several referances that men, both those killed and suvivors who were associated with that church, but I've never seen a separate Roll of Honour, some church's did have two, one the Roll of Honour, and the other was refered to as a Roll of Glory, wich only listed those who did not return. Not many church's had two though, just one with asterisks to denote those killed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Avenue Parade Methodist.jpg (491.9 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 15-03-2018 at 23:53.
Old 16-03-2018, 07:59   #28
Full Member+

It was the Sunday School Roll of Honour which was mentioned in an article you supplied a few years ago.

Old 16-03-2018, 14:43   #29
I am Banned

Quote:
It was the Sunday School Roll of Honour which was mentioned in an article you supplied a few years ago.
Bloomin Eck don't remember that, teks m all m time to remember to tek me pills these days.
Old 16-03-2018, 16:21   #30
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
I have fund my notes on Rutland St. They show that , before Steiner owned the land, it was owned by the Peels and Steiner didn't change the name allocated to it at the early planning stage. Some streets on Peel land were given county names, but not in clusters, just occasionally. However it is also possible that the Peels knew Charles Cecil John Manners, 6th Duke of Rutland who was a Conservative cabinet member with and under Lord Derby, a big mate of the Peels. He would be known to the Sir Robert Peel, who was PM in the 1830s & 40s. He was a very wealthy landowner and someone the Accrington Peels would associate with.
There was a family called Peel used to live on dale St in the 50s
ferret man is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..