Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2018, 18:26   #1
Full Member+

Rutland Street

I am pretty sure that Rutland Street was off Blackburn Road but can you please help in locating it exactly.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-03-2018, 19:35   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Rutland Street

Rutland Street Garage Opening Hours 2018 | The Time Now

There is a map on this page So you can see for yourself
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 06:13   #3
Full Member+

Thanks Margaret, I used to deliver building materials around the Accrington, back in the last century and have delivered to most streets in the town. I still remember where most of them are but that one had me stumped.

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Old 10-03-2018, 07:48   #4

Good work Margaret.
I was going to suggest going into Google Earth to find the street, but after doing this myself, the only thing that showed up was Rutland Close in Clayton-le-Moors.
It would seem that Google Earth is not by any means the "Bible" for maps.

Cheers
Philip
landhusweg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 08:53   #5
Beacon of light

You are welcome...glad to be able to help.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 12:10   #6
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by landhusweg View Post
Good work Margaret.
I was going to suggest going into Google Earth to find the street, but after doing this myself, the only thing that showed up was Rutland Close in Clayton-le-Moors.
It would seem that Google Earth is not by any means the "Bible" for maps.

Cheers
Philip
I did the same thing Phillip and now wish I had kept my well thumbed copy of Shurmer's Guide. I am plotting the co-ordinates of all of our census records onto a Google map and need all the help I can get. I have plotted a number of missing streets in both Blackburn and Accrington but Rutland Street had me baffled. As always, the good folks of Accy Web came to the rescue.

Old 10-03-2018, 12:58   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
I am pretty sure that Rutland Street was off Blackburn Road but can you please help in locating it exactly.
Ay eck Morecambe, looks like none of the others are any elp, having been in Fire Brigade we had to know where streets were with out any head scratchin, jump int machine headlight and flashers on an roar of down road left at traffic light the on towards Church an on your left betwen Leyland St, and Lonsdale St, was Rutland St, most of the streets on that side of the road are only little short streets because of the railway line from Ossy, like Barlow, Porter, Percival, Holland & Poland
Not forgetting Lang, Grant, and Wheat, just after Wilows Lane.

Last edited by Retlaw; 10-03-2018 at 13:03.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 13:18   #8
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
I did the same thing Phillip and now wish I had kept my well thumbed copy of Shurmer's Guide. I am plotting the co-ordinates of all of our census records onto a Google map and need all the help I can get. I have plotted a number of missing streets in both Blackburn and Accrington but Rutland Street had me baffled. As always, the good folks of Accy Web came to the rescue.
Sumat else I forgot in the other post, I knew Adrian Shurmer very well, he operated out of the Police Garage in Grange Lane, Adrian use to consult our records when he was creatin his guide, we had rcords mot just on streets, but back alleys ginnals, premises. and water supplies, Adrian also made several deliberate mistakes in his books and street plans, I challenged him on several points, and he just laughed, and said thee an me know there wrong, thats to catch the plagarists, which he did.

Good un Adrian me owd fettler R.I.P .
cashman likes this.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 15:13   #9
Full Member+

I knew all the roads 30 years or more back and still remember most of them.

I too knew Adrian well as I did a lot of work for him but not on the street guide. He was a great bloke and I will always remember him saying he was too honest to be a politician.

Old 10-03-2018, 18:06   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Was there a little Joiners Shop on Rutland St?
Old 10-03-2018, 20:28   #11
Full Member+

A while back I was trying to remember the name of the street between Lonsdale St and Leyland St as friends from school (Peter and Juliet Inksman - actually it might have been spelled Hinksman) lived on the corner of Blackburn Rd and Rutland St. This was back in the early 60's to mid 70's, I often wonder what happened to all these people I knew from around this area. We lived at number 10 Lonsdale St (between 1962-77)

Last edited by Ryewolf90; 10-03-2018 at 20:31.
Ryewolf90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 21:12   #12
Full Member+

There must have been hundreds of houses knocked down around there but where did all the people go?

Old 11-03-2018, 08:16   #13
Senior Member+

Several of the streets that Retlaw has mentioned have been demolished. At least one has been re-named. Steiner gave the streets their names, though why he chose Rutland I am unsure. However, it is one of several in the town named after English counties,
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 10:45   #14
Senior Member+

I have fund my notes on Rutland St. They show that , before Steiner owned the land, it was owned by the Peels and Steiner didn't change the name allocated to it at the early planning stage. Some streets on Peel land were given county names, but not in clusters, just occasionally. However it is also possible that the Peels knew Charles Cecil John Manners, 6th Duke of Rutland who was a Conservative cabinet member with and under Lord Derby, a big mate of the Peels. He would be known to the Sir Robert Peel, who was PM in the 1830s & 40s. He was a very wealthy landowner and someone the Accrington Peels would associate with.
Gremlin likes this.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 15:41   #15
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Was there a little Joiners Shop on Rutland St?
Don't remember a Joiners but there was a Grocers, name of Snape I think, top section.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..