Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 14-04-2011, 17:33   #1

Safestyle Uk????

Attended an interview today for Safestyle UK to work as part of their canvassing team, the job itself sounds straight forward enough and and im sure wont be much of a problem for me.

However after reading some reviews of the company i have found 80% of them had problems either with bad fitting windows or pushy salesmen or other such issues.

I have also read a few comments from ex-employees saying that its a terrible job and they try everything they can to avoid paying you the commission fees you earn by getting people to take out a free quotation.

So my question is, are safestyle a good company to work for?

Please dont turn this thread into a rant about the quality of their work, pushy salesmen etc etc, the only thing im curious about is if the staff their are treated better than the customers seem to be. And as the work is purely commission based will i actually end up making any money at the end of it or is it just one of those jobs thats best avoided.
Old 14-04-2011, 17:36   #2
God Member

Re: Safestyle Uk????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
Please dont turn this thread into a rant about the quality of their work, pushy salesmen etc etc,.

Surely if people on here find that is their experience then it's as good a feedback on the type of company they are you can get ?
Old 14-04-2011, 17:42   #3
Beacon of light

A couple of Safestyle canvassers came to our home and my husband said that he would consider a new front door from them.......when I returned from wherever I had been and he told me, I rang them and told them not to bother coming back(I had heard nothing but bad reports of this company).......one of the chaps came round anyway and gave me a mouthful of abuse for wasting his time.
I wrote to the company and complained but heard nothing at all from them.
Personally, I wouldn't touch them with a long stick.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 17:42   #4
Resting in Peace

In this day and age I'd give a commission only based job a wide berth Speedy, especially in light of what you have heard
Old 14-04-2011, 17:44   #5

I can see where your coming from, but theres plenty of bad reviews online for me to read without asking to hear more.

I was looking more for anyone who works or has worked for them or even just knows someone who has to see what their opinion of the company is, at the end of it all theres nothing i can do to change how the company operates, i just want to know if im likely to recieve a wage thats appropriate for the job id be doing. :-)
Old 14-04-2011, 17:58   #6
Give, give, give member

When they hire someone, do they get one free?

Any job that was commission only would set alarm bells ringing, in how a company valued their staff.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 18:37   #7
Senior Member+

I knew a salesman who told me they are trained to push for a sale even on a free quote offer..and regardless of the time spent with the customer they are not supposed to leave the house without a sale in their back pocket.

and for the record I know this to be true as we had one in our house for 3 hours..he was there for a quote only on windows for the back of the house and after 3 hours he got aggresive when we wouldnt sign, I called the police saying there was a strange man in my house and he left pronto.

there surely has to be more work than that out there..
however if you can be pushy to the general public and get a sale at all costs regardless of the manner in how its done then go for it..

Last edited by glasgow guy; 14-04-2011 at 18:39.
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 18:57   #8
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

grandson used to work for them and he found it very hard to get a sale and someweeks his wages where practically nil. maybe he was too nice. Take my advice steer well clear.

Last edited by MITZY; 14-04-2011 at 19:06.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 19:00   #9
JFT96

From my experience with similar companies, commission only sales jobs, I would be very very careful. Many years ago, when I was about your age, I too worked for several firms selling on a commission only basis. I never got paid.
Out of interest what qualifications do you have and what interests do you have. I see you are interested in cars, maybe there is something in the car game that you could do?
If you take a commission only job, you must factor in your expenses.
good luck

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion

Last edited by Neil; 15-04-2011 at 07:18.
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 19:03   #10
Senior Member+

I would never work for a company who paid commission only, you could spend all day knocking on doors and still be at it at 10pm, if nobody puts an order in you have worked all day for nothing. Can't be right.
Old 14-04-2011, 19:17   #11

If want a reputation as a pushy bullying thug (which from my dealings with them is well deserved) then go ahead and join them
hedman2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2011, 23:03   #12

I know people who have worked in the call centres and people who have worked knocking for them. If you can sell consistently for this lot your a good salesman. Its a revolving door the jobs are on the job centre every other week which is an indication people arnt sticking with it. Sister worked in call centre years ago struggled to get her commission money, and a friend worked what you will be doing years ago and this lad is good and he said its dog s///e. He now has a beamer company vehicle sits on his arse all day apart from the odd renewal which generates about at least 2k a month minimum so maybe the slammed doors in the face and the lack of earning made him tougher,hungrier and greedy enough to work his way up the sales ladder with other companies. Its persistance and an element of persuasion which is aggressive and can be deemed as bullying but thats what they and a hell of a lot of sales managers will tell you is the most successful method. Unless your selling something that everybody wants needs or the customer is coming to you then its a rejection all day job that alot cant handle. Good luck...........
Jesus_was_A_red_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 00:46   #13

Mate of mine worked for them - did well the first month but then started to earn a pittance ... he's on a minimum wage job now and better off.

One thing he said to me and its a note to everyone is that the people he most despised whilst doing the job were the ones who stood there and listened to the whole pitch before declining, those who just slammed the door in his face were saving themselves and him time - those who thought they were being decent by listening were in fact causing wasted time on all parties.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 05:51   #14
Resting in Peace

Can i just say if you do take the job .............DONT call at my house the answer will be no thanks.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2011, 15:44   #15

Well been for my first day of training today and i have to say so far so good. Still a little bit dubious about it, but im gonna stick with it and see how things go. After all, whats the worse that could happen.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..