Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2015, 12:32   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Should fireworks be banned?

That's bonfire night over with so is that it for fireworks? No,no doubt they'll still be going off for a couple of weeks yet.
The mess left behind by these mini bombs is a problem too.
I've found rockets that have been fired in my garden and burnt out fireworks on every spare piece of land from here to Rishton....

..I guess,what goes up must come back down as the saying goes.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 06-11-2015, 13:10   #32
Beacon of light

It was relatively quiet here in Clayton last night...nowhere near the usual volume of fireworks.
I think that many folk will be setting off their fireworks and lighting the bonfires over this coming weekend.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 14:07   #33
Senior Member+

It was unusually quiet were we are as well last night.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 16:35   #34
Senior Member+

It was relatively quite in our neighbourhood too,I think M is right about folk waiting for the weekend...Great

password--Accyweb
Old 06-11-2015, 17:14   #35
God Member

it certainly is not time to end fireworks the organized event with display i am attending isnt on until saturday the 7th which is also the time i will be lighting my fireworks at home after the even has finished

not everyone can do family stuff midweek

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 17:22   #36

i am just hearing some going off now
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 10:53   #37
Senior Member+

A fireworks display went on for ten minutes last night in the garden of a house at the end of my drive. Visitors cars everywhere. I wonder what the roof of their cars are like this morning.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1070843.JPG (165.0 KB, 17 views)
Accyexplorer likes this.
Old 07-11-2015, 16:36   #38
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
A fireworks display went on for ten minutes last night in the garden of a house at the end of my drive. Visitors cars everywhere. I wonder what the roof of their cars are like this morning.
goof on em i hope they had a brilliant time with friends and family

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Old 07-11-2015, 21:24   #39

Texas Holdem Poker Champion!

Yet more nanny state nonsense…

People who complain about the kids of today being overweight and glued to playstations/laptops go on to moan about something that used to keep us on the streets in the fresh air for weeks, lugging lumps of wood, old suites, bits of trees and railway sleepers for miles.

Bonfire night was the 5th…didn’t matter what day of the week it was..kudos was gained if you managed to keep your fire lit until the following day.

Fireworks were in a biscuit tin, rockets fired from a milk bottle, pinwheels nailed to the outhouse window frame. Mum did some home made treacle toffee, sticky, soft, chewy and to die for…spuds in the embers, face burning as you dragged them out with a stick, either undercooked or charred beyond redemption..but still eaten and enjoyed.

I really miss the back garden bonfires, where neighbours actually made meaningful contact and created a sense of community.

Then again..we could ignore our own historical traditions and play safe by doing ‘trick or treat’, and ‘easter egg hunts’ or spend a fortune decorating our houses with lights at xmas, we could even call Father Christmas ‘kris kringle’.
Old 07-11-2015, 22:11   #40
Beacon of light

Eating potatoes baked in the fire. Burnt and covered in wood ash on the outside and frequently raw in the middle.
We took no harm.
Having said that, I still don't much like bonfires or fireworks.....but I did enjoy the collecting of the wood, the raiding parties, the setting traps for others who might raid our stash of wood.
I enjoyed the whole street getting together and having a 'Jacob's Join'.....the black peas, the Parkin, the treacle toffee, the potato pie and pickled cabbage.
And yes, there was a kudos to having a fire that was still burning the day after.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 08-11-2015, 04:43   #41
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinness View Post
Yet more nanny state nonsense…

People who complain about the kids of today being overweight and glued to playstations/laptops go on to moan about something that used to keep us on the streets in the fresh air for weeks, lugging lumps of wood, old suites, bits of trees and railway sleepers for miles.

yet who buys kids these laptops and consoles, tablets etc?

used to be to punish a kid you sent it to its room

now kids rooms put luxury hotels to shame

wantto punish a kid these days......

change the wi-fi code it freaks them out

Old 08-11-2015, 09:10   #42
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
goof on em i hope they had a brilliant time with friends and family
I'm sure they did accyman, they didn't go letting the odd banger off all night, just the one big ten minute show and the guests later left without disturbing neighbours. I enjoyed watching the last few minutes from my home.
Old 08-11-2015, 19:21   #43
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Eating potatoes baked in the fire. Burnt and covered in wood ash on the outside and frequently raw in the middle.
We took no harm.
Having said that, I still don't much like bonfires or fireworks.....but I did enjoy the collecting of the wood, the raiding parties, the setting traps for others who might raid our stash of wood.
I enjoyed the whole street getting together and having a 'Jacob's Join'.....the black peas, the Parkin, the treacle toffee, the potato pie and pickled cabbage.
And yes, there was a kudos to having a fire that was still burning the day after.
What about the roast chestnuts?
You all forgot them used to have these sat there getting loads of them ready for the oven or bonfire
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 19:27   #44
Beacon of light

Yes.....roast chestnuts.....although we used to roast them on a shovel over the fire.
They were lovely. I bought some recently and didn't enjoy them one little bit. They played havoc with my teeth(yes, they are my own).
Old 08-11-2015, 19:37   #45
Senior Member+

Mess from fallout,mess from bonfires plus all the injuries and noise pollution...not to mention the impact on the environment,wildlife and triggering symptoms in those older folk who served in the armed forces....ban the ruddy things for public use and just have them on certain nights let off by trained professionals .

password--Accyweb

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..