Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree46Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-10-2015, 09:41   #1
Senior Member+

Should fireworks be banned?

As usually,I'm just trying to gauge folks opinion.
As a child I remember my mother and father putting on a small fireworks display most years for close friends and family,I don't want to be a kill joy, I do appreciate the enjoyment these pyrotechnics can bring if used correctly.
But I was walking home lastnight when I came across a group of reprobates setting off fireworks in the street.
As i got closer i realised they were getting ready to launch a rocket type one down the street.Before I knew it a rocket was screaming straight towards a group of folk further down the street, it exploded right beside them as they was trying yo scatter from it,the explosion also made some of the local hounds start barking.
Probably not the best course of action in today's day and age but I shouted that a number of folk in the group were elderly and asked if they would they like it if it was their grandparents.....This was only met by laughs and mumbled profanity
Im not sure about you folks but my neighbours and I are sick of this anti-social behaviour in our area,so my question is this, should fireworks be banned for publishing safety? Or restricted to the small type fireworks at the very least?

Also,anyone that try's to blown up parliament should be commended

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-10-2015, 09:55   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Should fireworks be banned?

I would probably have been arrested fer cluttering em. Personally these modern fireworks should to me only be sold to adults, any child using em the parents should be fined.
Old 28-10-2015, 10:36   #3
God Member

I'm in total agreement, in my opinion fireworks should only be sold for organised displays -it maybe wouldn't be so bad if they were only on sale for say one week up to the 5th November & then only the smaller ones, but they go on for weeks on end. I'm not a killjoy & quite like watching a good display but the widespread mis-use of them totally takes away the fun element for me.
We had an incident the other night at work where some local yobs were throwing fireworks at the windows, this is at a home for vulnerable people with severe learning difficulties & as the first poster says if you say anything to them they just laugh in your face or worse - the police were called but there's little they can do
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 12:00   #4
Beacon of light

I agree that fireworks should only be sold to recognised and trained people.
They should only be available for organised and properly controlled displays.
I have never really been a fan of fireworks....and the practice of bonfire night being a movable feast(seemingly can be anytime in October/November)
It makes it very difficult to protect your animals...to make sure they are in the house and safe.

The expense too...I can't believe that when folk seem to be having a hard time paying their bills they would want to send all that money up in smoke...it makes me cringe(it must be the Scottish Jew in me).
maxthecollie and Accyexplorer like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 12:16   #5
Full Member+

Just as dangerous as a shotgun yet no licence required. They should not be sold to the general public and it should be a criminal offence to set them off away from an organised event.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 13:50   #6
Senior Member+

They should be banned to the general public and used in organised displays only. There are hundreds of people and animals scared to death of the noises.
bernie94, carpon, Rowlf and 1 others like this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 13:51   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I agree that fireworks should only be sold to recognised and trained people.
They should only be available for organised and properly controlled displays.
I have never really been a fan of fireworks....and the practice of bonfire night being a movable feast(seemingly can be anytime in October/November)
It makes it very difficult to protect your animals...to make sure they are in the house and safe.

The expense too...I can't believe that when folk seem to be having a hard time paying their bills they would want to send all that money up in smoke...it makes me cringe(it must be the Scottish Jew in me).
My dad used to tell me when I was a kid that my money was going up in smoke until I ASKED "What about your ciggies?"
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 19:09   #8
Senior Member+

So the general consensus is that they should be banned for public use and that reprobates use fireworks as a declaration that they have more money than sense?

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2015, 20:39   #9
Beacon of light

for most of those that are setting off fireworks before bonfire night...well all I can say is, if brains were dynamite they wouldn't have enough of it to blow the wax out of their ears.

They are morons who care nothing for the inconvenience they inflict on others.
cashman and dotti34 like this.
Old 28-10-2015, 21:39   #10
God Member

In these times when anti-terrorism legislation has high priority, it should not be acceptable to easily buy gunpowder (as in fireworks).

Police raid premises where bomb making chemicals are suspected.
Gunpowder in fireworks should be treated the same.

I enjoy professional firework displays - licenced, supervised, and with safety of the public given high priority.

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 09:58   #11
Beacon of light

I am not even fond of the professional firework displays.
I just think of what other more lasting things that the money going up in smoke could provide.
Old 29-10-2015, 16:22   #12
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I am not even fond of the professional firework displays.
I just think of what other more lasting things that the money going up in smoke could provide.
with what i spent last year on fireworks i could have got a high class hooker

not sure how long the event would have lasted though in comparison to the fireworks and unlike the fireworks i cant let the kids watch

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 16:35   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
Just as dangerous as a shotgun yet no licence required. They should not be sold to the general public and it should be a criminal offence to set them off away from an organised event.
You need a licence for a shotgun And gimme a break; no way fireworks are as dangerous as a firearm. If we hunted ducks with roman candles, the buggers would die laughing. Maybe not a bad idea; you wouldn't have to push the shot to the side of your plate. And it would still give the dogs a nice outing retrieving them. I will be setting off fireworks this November 5. That will be the third time this year ... Victoria Day and Canada Day are the more-or-less sanctioned fireworks days. Banning fireworks .... no way .... What next? Banning conkers; or making the kids wear hard hats and protective eye wear?
accyman likes this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 17:54   #14
Full Member+

Well I too am in favour of fireworks being banned for sale to general public. There are laws which prevent children buying them but that does not stop young ones getting them from older siblings etc. It is also an offence to set them off in the street but as we all know it happens every day. They should only be used in organised displays put on by qualified persons. Having said that I agree with Margaret that the money could be better spent.
Rowlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 21:27   #15
God Member

so ban fireworks from people who buy them legally and set them off legally because law enforcement cant do its job and catch them that throw them around the streets ?

if we ban them because some people are irresponsible with them theres a whole load of other things that will have to be banned by that logic as well..

cars

dogs

cats

fatty foods

prescription drugs

motorbikes

quadbikes

skateboards

fizzy pop

well theres a lot of things many people use responsibly but theres always a hand full of idiots that dont but it dosnt mean we should ban them

if a person sells fireworks to kids then that person should either get a fine so financially devastating they cant afford to ever buy fireworks again yet alone buy them to sell on to others or face jail time.Any adult giving kids fireworks should be treated as they would treat an adult giving kids drugs but for teh love of god stop trying to punish them that play by the rules
Eric likes this.

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by accyman; 29-10-2015 at 21:30.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..