Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-03-2008, 20:27   #16
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Should Homework Be Scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Primary School = No

High School = if relevant, so many times we got h/w that was just for the sake of giving h/w so teachers looked like they were working, it should be as and when rather than a set number of times a week.
that sounds reasonable to me,remember way back when,we got 2/3 lots of homework at the tech per evening, way to much n if it was relavant most didn't sink in cos there was too bloody much. gotta say felt much of it was just for the sake of givin it.
Old 11-03-2008, 20:41   #17
God Member

My children have had homework right from the start of primary school, in reception class. I don't mind, I think it's a good thing. It's only simple things like reading books, spellings and worksheets.
Old 11-03-2008, 20:45   #18
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
My children have had homework right from the start of primary school, in reception class. I don't mind, I think it's a good thing. It's only simple things like reading books, spellings and worksheets.
would also agree with that, its when it gets beyond simple things n they swamp kids with it i disagree.
Old 11-03-2008, 20:56   #19
Resting in Peace

Of course they should get homework .. gives them an introduction to self-motivation. !

Primary school does not give more than 1/2 hour per night .. usually to learn times tables, spellings, read a chapter of the book they are studying .. what is wrong with that ? Well, that was my experience with my children .. they didn't mind at all, as when they had the test next day .. came up with 10/10 .. what's better than that ? Was not just their homework, was mine too .. had to spend time testing them.

Later at secondary .. grew from 1 hour/3 hours, depending on subject/course work (which has to be done out of school). Still plenty of time for play/after school activities.

'Course not every child is academic, but the time spent 'after hours' (which let's face it are short), well worth the extra to set them on the basics.

Believe me, if they get to University, will have to learn to be self-motivated and burn the midnight oil, nobody will mamby-pamby them then, ask Blazey or Cyfr.

My son (25) and daughter (43) are still doing extra courses (out of hours) to further their career and pleased that they were taught the discipline of 'homework' early in their life.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 21:02   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Of course they should get homework .. gives them an introduction to self-motivation. !

Primary school does not give more than 1/2 hour per night .. usually to learn times tables, spellings, read a chapter of the book they are studying .. what is wrong with that ? Well, that was my experience with my children .. they didn't mind at all, as when they had the test next day .. came up with 10/10 .. what's better than that ? Was not just their homework, was mine too .. had to spend time testing them.

Later at secondary .. grew from 1 hour/3 hours, depending on subject/course work (which has to be done out of school). Still plenty of time for play/after school activities.

'Course not every child is academic, but the time spent 'after hours' (which let's face it are short), well worth the extra to set them on the basics.

Believe me, if they get to University, will have to learn to be self-motivated and burn the midnight oil, nobody will mamby-pamby them then, ask Blazey or Cyfr.

My son (25) and daughter (43) are still doing extra courses (out of hours) to further their career and pleased that they were taught the discipline of 'homework' early in their life.
Wise words as always, Katex.
Old 11-03-2008, 23:13   #21
Accy Goddess

they should have home work like reading spelling and practising their spellings and times tables in junior school.
but they shouldn't be over whelmed with it.
ANNE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:26   #22
God Member

I used to love reading my school book, and I also agree with homework from a primary school age.

reason number 1 : it is never too early to be disciplined into deadlines and routine

reason number 2: it gives parents the opportunity to take part in their childrens education

reason number 3: it helps a child learn outside the classroom and communicate with their parents more about issues in the classroom.

I wasn't a huge fan of homework at high school I must admit, and I never did it, but I deeply wish that I had now because at college I wasn't disciplined enough at home to make myself work on my own initiative, and I still procrastinate over studying at uni.

I do however like to get my little sister to read to me, and whilst she doesn't have a love for it like I did, I think she does appreciate that someones has an interest at home, and she knows that by us nagging to listen to her reading or help with homework.

I think it's all very important, though it has to be a reasonable amount or it can be demoralizing. Maybe some things should just be made voluntary but have emphasis on rewards if you do decide to do the home work?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 01:31   #23
God Member

What I will add to that is that a lot of the problem is the poorly educated parents who didn't necessarily get such a good education in their day. Not all parents can read and do maths as easily as some children and the parents can cause problems with homework too...

I imagine this is less and less as time goes by though with the more accessible education system, but there are still families with these kind of issues.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:45   #24
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
reason number 1 : it is never too early to be disciplined into deadlines and routine

reason number 2: it gives parents the opportunity to take part in their childrens education

reason number 3: it helps a child learn outside the classroom and communicate with their parents more about issues in the classroom.
Just occasionally you speak a lot of sense.

Children need homework to help them progress. You can't really expect them to only learn in school. Parents have to help out as well. Reading is one of the most important things a child can do. Even from a young age our children have brought home reading, spellings and maths homework. I wish I could spell as well as my 10 year old, he would beat me hands down in a spelling test . His spelling ability is due mainly to the amount of reading he does.
Old 12-03-2008, 20:00   #25
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Just occasionally you speak a lot of sense.

Children need homework to help them progress. You can't really expect them to only learn in school. Parents have to help out as well. Reading is one of the most important things a child can do. Even from a young age our children have brought home reading, spellings and maths homework. I wish I could spell as well as my 10 year old, he would beat me hands down in a spelling test . His spelling ability is due mainly to the amount of reading he does.
Well I think it's very important and I would NEVER suggest stopping reading or spellings and timetables. It's very important that people like you think that homework is beneficial, as it has other benefits too.

Imagine if your children feel uncomfortable talking to their teacher for whatever reason and sit silently struggling? Or if they're bullied and feel too intimidated to speak up and ask for help in the class room? If they're used to you helping them with homework, they will be used to being able to ask you for help, and a bullied child who can feel comfortable asking for your help can make so much difference to their education, and so many children get bullied and just grin and bear it.

That's the way I see things anyway, it's not just about teaching them the subjects, it's about teaching them all sorts of things, and I'd be surprised if someone said there shouldn't be any homework at all.
Old 20-03-2008, 22:41   #26

Wink Re: Should Homework Be Scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
What I will add to that is that a lot of the problem is the poorly educated parents who didn't necessarily get such a good education in their day. Not all parents can read and do maths as easily as some children and the parents can cause problems with homework too...

I imagine this is less and less as time goes by though with the more accessible education system, but there are still families with these kind of issues.
You are letting your imagination run away with you then Blazey. Unfortunately homework is one of the things which highlights the kids who have parents who take an interest in, and value their offspring's eduvation and those who don't give a darn.

I get kids from all sorts of backgrounds who perform well (or not) in class, but when homework goes out, the kids with "involved" parents bring it back in done (whether the kids are bright or not). Meanwhile, the parents who adopt a more laissez-faire attitude to school attainment often can't even give their kids an environment where they can sit and do their homework, be it reading, worksheets, planning or even times tables learning.

As a result the attitude of the well supported kids leads them to develop what talent they have whilst those without as much backup rely on their own natural ability more, and slowly slip into the abyss of doing b***er all with their lives.

Not that I'm generalising at all...
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 23:22   #27
God Member

Since they are finishing the school day at 3pm they had better have some to make up the lost learning time

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2008, 23:31   #28
Give, give, give member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Since they are finishing the school day at 3pm they had better have some to make up the lost learning time
I'm in agreement.

All those lost half hours, over a ten year period, equals a lot of missed learning, months in fact.

garinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2008, 10:12   #29
Resting in Peace

Things have changed since I was at school, we started at 9am 1hr and half for lunch, finshed at 4pm, I don't now what the hours are now, but there allways seems to be kids walking up and down all day. kids under 11 shouldn't get homework, you know the old say All Work and no play makes Jack (and Jill) dull person, got to be PC. Homework is a must in later school years when pushing for exams but not before
Old 21-03-2008, 11:22   #30

I had to respond to this post!
I have a DD who is 7 yrs old and last year when we where about a week from going on holiday her teacher asked to speak to me.Apparantly my DD had been asking her every day if she could have some work sheets to take on holiday with her.
She comes home every friday with 2 work sheets and we sit for 20 mins after DS has gone to bed and read her reading book with her.We write in her book about how she has done and when she has finished it she just changes it so we arnt reading the same thing all week.
I love sitting down with her doing home work and reading because i feel i am part of her learning.
I also read to my DS every night who is 3yrs old.
Like it was said on an earlier post it is important to have the basics before they start school.
Bernie x
mumtotwo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..