Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 21-03-2008, 11:38   #31
God Member

Re: Should Homework Be Scrapped?

translate 'DD' and 'DS' please

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-03-2008, 13:09   #32
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
translate 'DD' and 'DS' please
At a guess Darling Daughter and Darling Son
Old 21-03-2008, 13:28   #33
God Member

Homework imo should be given in the last 2 years of secondary school, primary school definately not, they could also have less holidays, the primary school homework causes parents to have less 'play' time with the kids, and usually has to be supervised to some degree which ties parents up doing what teachers are paid to do.
Old 22-03-2008, 05:29   #34
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
the primary school homework causes parents to have less 'play' time with the kids, and usually has to be supervised to some degree which ties parents up doing what teachers are paid to do.
So parents have no responsibility for their child's education, because people are paid to educate your children for you?

As others have said, there is a tonne of research proving that children who continue to learn at home with their parents (or just have high levels of parental interest in general) perform much better. The amount of homework set by the teacher wouldn't be necessary if all children were educationally stimulated at home, but unfortunately that isn't the case. Too many people have the opinion that education is something that only happens in school.

Blazey got it spot on with her earlier post. Homework does help to bridge the gap between home and school. For too many people they see the two environments as separate and unrelated.
Old 22-03-2008, 06:17   #35
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'm in agreement.

All those lost half hours, over a ten year period, equals a lot of missed learning, months in fact.
Just an excuse to extend the school leaving age , the kids aren't learning more , just the same but over an extended period of time , and it probably keeps the unemployment numbers down
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 08:23   #36
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by garinda View Post
I'm in agreement.

All those lost half hours, over a ten year period, equals a lot of missed learning, months in fact.

I don't think you will find there are any lost half hours. The school day is more compact. As Jaysay said used to be start at 9am, finish at 4pm, hour and half for dinner and if i remember correctly morning and afternnon breaks.

My daughters school now starts at 8.45, 15 minute morning break and 50 minute lunch break. No afternoon break.
Old 22-03-2008, 08:36   #37
God Member

It is only a GOOD thing if it is highlighted which children are and aren't getting help at home with homework. Teachers can then speak to the childs parents and encourage them to take an active role, and if they don't want to then at least the child can be given extra support whilst at school.

Primary school is the most important stage in a childs education, and I think it's vital that you build on as many different skills as possible whilst at school, both inside and outside of the school atmosphere.

Perhaps I'm just very naive because I loved learning at primary school, and I was a bright child so I didn't have to have any extra help, but I saw people who struggled and I even used to go round to my friends house to help her with her spelling. I've just always seen the importance in it, and it deeply saddens me when other people don't understand that value.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 08:46   #38

I think that more time should be spent in school with less holidays and then there would be less need for homework. Some famillies are better skilled and resourced at helping/supervising with homework than others.

Then again I would like to see kids playing out until all hours like we did - I loved my childhood - but I think that those days (sadly) may be long gone.
suzster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 11:23   #39
God Member

I don't think I came from a specially well resourced family, I just got sent home with my reading books, words to learn on pieces of card and spellings and times tables. What more do you need?
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2008, 21:17   #40
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I don't think I came from a specially well resourced family, I just got sent home with my reading books, words to learn on pieces of card and spellings and times tables. What more do you need?
Good point. Resources needn't cost anything at all. The key factor is parental interest and nothing more. In all the research I've looked at parental interest outweighs all other factors, including material and cultural deprivation.
Old 22-03-2008, 21:23   #41
God Member

What is wrong with parents today?There is nothing more rewarding than watching your child progress in their education. Surely it is not to much to ask that you spare half an hour to an hour to sit and read or do maths with kids if it is beneficial to them. I gave always been an avid reader and am proud that my kids and grandchildren are the same. Reading is such a big help in all areas of education.
Old 22-03-2008, 22:19   #42
God Member

My daughter is 5 and brings home reading books, spellings and tasks for maths, we tend to do a little bit every night, I dont think this is too much, I dont know how much she'll be getting in a few years time at primary but I think if its around 15-30 mins per night its ok.
Old 22-03-2008, 22:26   #43
God Member

I have found with my grandchildren who come here to do their homework that in older years at primary school it tends to be stuff they just look up on the internet. So I think you should enjoy the time you spend together.
Old 23-03-2008, 01:17   #44
Resting in Peace

Well I've got a problem with the comp. But the 9yr old granddaughter will sort me out.Started doing homework when she was 2.Can shear a sheep in 3 mins and down 3 cans of ice cold lager about the same time.Am it right ore wat

Last edited by Benipete; 23-03-2008 at 01:19.
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 08:31   #45
God Member

There are divisions on this, and they are obvious, some people either dont work, or work part time/short hours, others have a longer working day, we leave at 7am, me to work, my partner and the kids to the child minders (who does help with homework), my partner usually finishes work between 5 and 5.30, I finish when work runs out, (dependent on public demand), first home (usually 6 ish) starts the evening meal, then the cleaning up, clothes for next day, baths etc, we could help out with homework at about 8pm I suppose, but as we try to get the children to sleep by this time (due to rising at 6), it would be difficult, so, do we show our kids that it is good to have a disciplined routine, to work hard and keep off benefits, or stay home and help with homework? We dont physically have time to do homework at home.

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..