Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2008, 16:59   #76
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Should Homework Be Scrapped?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly View Post
I think they run in the evenings aswell as during the day time so most people should be ok.
was refering to shift workers lilly. n if yer put on 12 hr days n nights alternate. very difficult.
Old 23-03-2008, 17:00   #77
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emamum23 View Post
I'm sorry, but you can see the difference in the children whose parents sit and do their homework with them and the ones whose dont. I use to listen to th children reading their reading books and too many times you could tell that the child hadnt read at home. there were children that had been there 6 months and there was not one parental comment in the book. thats sad. If the parent is uninterested in what the child does for most of its time (33 hours a week.) then what does that teach the child? If mum or dad are not intereseted in their homework, why should they be? If mum or dad wont listen to them read then its not important is it? so why should they bother?

I have tried really hard to keep out of this argument!
You are right. Parental apathy is one of the biggest scourges of our schools today. Some parents seem to think that school is just free childminding. They don't seem to grasp the fact that they too need to put some effort into the child's learning.
Old 23-03-2008, 17:01   #78
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
was refering to shift workers lilly. n if yer put on 12 hr days n nights alternate. very difficult.
Yes, it would be difficult in those circumstances.
Old 23-03-2008, 17:01   #79
Senior Member+

Some school run classes alongside the childrens and you usually learn what they are learning. I am lucky i suppose, Ty i still in my age range professionally, i am qualified up to age 8.

Adding to this, Ty has just had 2 weeks off school because of the op. i went to the teacher and asked her to write down what topics they would be covering because i dont want him to fall behind. i suppose i would be classed as a pushy parent. we follow the national curriculum at home as well and i regularly give him extra work to do because i want him to reach his full potential. unfortunately not all children are able to do this in an education setting, and that i have learnt from my experiences as a teaching assistant.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 17:03   #80
God Member

Quote:
Some school run classes alongside the childrens and you usually learn what they are learning. I am lucky i suppose, Ty i still in my age range professionally, i am qualified up to age 8.

Adding to this, Ty has just had 2 weeks off school because of the op. i went to the teacher and asked her to write down what topics they would be covering because i dont want him to fall behind. i suppose i would be classed as a pushy parent. we follow the national curriculum at hom as well and i regularly give him extra work to do because i want him to reach his full potential. unfortunately not all children are able to do this in an education setting, and that i have learnt from my experiences as a teaching assistant.
Don't worry, emamum. I'd rather be thought of as a pushy parent than the other sort.

It sounds like you're doing a fine job.
Old 23-03-2008, 17:03   #81
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davo69 View Post
i feel at times to much pressure is put on young minds yes you educate your children in hundredes of ways but putting constent pressure on any person is not healthey over six hours schooling is more than enough making children come home and learn 20 spellings for yet another test is more presure
And how do you think they feel when they do rubbish in class because mummy and daddy don't believe in doing homework?

You can tell the difference between a child who gets help at home and a child that doesn't. Practice gives EVERYONE confidence, doesn't matter what age you are.

I used to love spelling and reading... I believe thats own to the way I was brought up. I still have all my favourite books as a child too, because I enjoyed them so much. I am a strong believer that any child can be a high achiever with the right parental attitude. And a bad attitude towards homework isn't the right way.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 17:03   #82
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
You are right. Parental apathy is one of the biggest scourges of our schools today. Some parents seem to think that school is just free childminding. They don't seem to grasp the fact that they too need to put some effort into the child's learning.
i agree with that,but some cant see those that aren't apathetic who do their best around earning a living n helping when possible n that to me is narrow minded.
Old 23-03-2008, 17:06   #83
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
i agree with that,but some cant see those that aren't apathetic who do their best around earning a living n helping when possible n that to me is narrow minded.
Yes, I realise that some have very busy lives and do their best. I was referring to the ones who just don't give a monkey's.
Old 23-03-2008, 17:08   #84
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Yes, I realise that some have very busy lives and do their best. I was referring to the ones who just don't give a monkey's.
i know you were some were not n they know who they are.
Old 23-03-2008, 18:41   #85
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

I dont believe in homework for primary school kids, as i stated earlier in the thread...BUT he does get it and i DO help him with it, I just think kids should play more instead of having books in thier faces all the time
Old 23-03-2008, 19:25   #86
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by panther View Post
I dont believe in homework for primary school kids, as i stated earlier in the thread...BUT he does get it and i DO help him with it, I just think kids should play more instead of having books in thier faces all the time
They shouldn't ever have books in front of them all the time. They don't make homework difficult for primary school children, it's all stuff they've done in class already, so they'd only be like that if they didn't understand it and had nobody to help them.

I wish I'd been given more to be truthful. I regret not being disciplined with myself at school and letting it slide. Paying the price now.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 19:34   #87
Senior Member+

what would you all be saying if the schools decided to stop giving the children homework and instead took away their play times to fit in the extra work?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
Old 23-03-2008, 19:35   #88
God Member

Quote:
what would you all be saying if the schools decided to stop giving the children homework and instead took away their play times to fit in the extra work?

I'd say the person who made the decision is a moron
Old 23-03-2008, 19:39   #89
Senior Member+

what other option is there if you want homework scrapped? the children would have to do the work. I kno it seems like a long time but it is really difficult, the teachers have to teach the children according to the national curriculum, within the time given and in a way they will all understand. you also have to remember that not all children will understand it the first time and they sometimes need to go over it a few times.

Old 23-03-2008, 19:42   #90
God Member

Quote:
you also have to remember that not all children will understand it the first time and they sometimes need to go over it a few times.
In which case why give children all the same homework, those who need more time to understand it will not do it because they need extra tuition. If the bright ones are doing the work in class why do they need homework.

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..