Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 23-03-2008, 19:45   #91
God Member

Re: Should Homework Be Scrapped?

The way I remember, the teachers were aware who picked things up quickly, and sat them near to each other, then slower ones, then the slowest ones, after work was given out they proceeded to the other groups, this ended in virtual 1 on 1 if anybody was really struggling, I would have thought this still worked and was still actioned.
Accrington Web
Old 23-03-2008, 19:45   #92
Senior Member+

they should get different homework... some schools do that, the point is tho tat the parent can give the extra help if the child needs it

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 19:46   #93
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekgas View Post
The way I remember, the teachers were aware who picked things up quickly, and sat them near to each other, then slower ones, then the slowest ones, after work was given out they proceeded to the other groups, this ended in virtual 1 on 1 if anybody was really struggling, I would have thought this still worked and was still actioned.
thats the way it usually works. the lower ability children or the ones they are aware will need help usually end up with a teaching assistant sat with them.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 19:47   #94
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
In which case why give children all the same homework, those who need more time to understand it will not do it because they need extra tuition. If the bright ones are doing the work in class why do they need homework.

EQUALITY - that lovely thing Labour preach on about

Bright children probably benefit just as much because it teaches them discipline at home. Nobody is perfect at everything no matter how bright they are

I was top of the class and I don't know my 8 times tables as well as the others I blame my mum

EDIT: different abilities got different homework at the primary school I went to. Also had 1 on 1 teaching help for the slower ones.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2008, 19:53   #95
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
EQUALITY - that lovely thing Labour preach on about

I always thought that was communism
Old 24-03-2008, 23:52   #96

IMHO homework is educational smoke and mirrors. The government have paid for "research" to show how beneficial it is to learners' progress, and so the research shows that homework IS beneficial. Because of this, it is touted far and wide as one of the main features of a successful school and of good teaching and learning. Parents who care demand it (and rightly so if it is helpful). However, the sad truth of the matter in the vast majority of cases is that those who do the homework rarely need to and those who need the reinforcement that homework can provide often don't do it. It's like parents' evening when the kids parents who don't need to worry turn up, but those who you are desperate to see don't come and can't be bothered to make alternative arrangements. I know that working parents have issues with such things but there are many ways and means of taking an interest in your kids' schooling
egg&chips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2008, 00:15   #97
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
IMHO homework is educational smoke and mirrors. The government have paid for "research" to show how beneficial it is to learners' progress, and so the research shows that homework IS beneficial. Because of this, it is touted far and wide as one of the main features of a successful school and of good teaching and learning. Parents who care demand it (and rightly so if it is helpful). However, the sad truth of the matter in the vast majority of cases is that those who do the homework rarely need to and those who need the reinforcement that homework can provide often don't do it. It's like parents' evening when the kids parents who don't need to worry turn up, but those who you are desperate to see don't come and can't be bothered to make alternative arrangements. I know that working parents have issues with such things but there are many ways and means of taking an interest in your kids' schooling
ahh much commonsense in this post, i always worked 12 hrs shifts when kids were young - had to to provide, but i NEVER missed a parents night.
Old 25-03-2008, 01:54   #98
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egg&chips View Post
I don't fit into that but I guess homework at primary school has changed since I was at school too. So maybe that is the case now.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
schools

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..