Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

View Poll Results: Should TV license fee be scrapped?
Yes. 17 94.44%
No. 1 5.56%
Not bothered. 0 0%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-08-2015, 15:04   #1
Senior Member+

Should the TV License be scrapped?

I have come to the conclusion that TV license fee should be scrapped. Yes I pay for it and I find that it makes me want to watch more TV and if I got rid of the TV and told them so, they would still make me pay it because they wouldn't believe I had totally stopped watching it and still had access to it on computer or other devices.

These days you can watch TV in most library's on their computers - so why should we keep paying for it?

The alternative is that they scrap it and the BBC start having advertising. What they could do is keep BBC 1 as it is - with no ads and then have another channel like BBC 2 which has ad breaks or have all ad breaks and have private subscription channel kept as it is now with no ads.

I just think the license has had it's day - what does anyone here think?

Last edited by kestrelx; 15-08-2015 at 15:06.
kestrelx is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-08-2015, 15:09   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Re: Should the TV License be scrapped?

I think i may go to jail, then i can watch it all day n not pay for it.
maxthecollie likes this.
Old 15-08-2015, 17:23   #3
JFT96

I do pay my TV License, but I do feel that it is outdated and should be axed.
There are lots of websites out there regarding this: Letters from BBC Television Licensing/intro

Steve Hogarth, lead singer Marillion
Boeing Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 21:56   #4
God Member

Haven't paid for a tv licence in almost 48 years ... which just happens to be the amount of time I've been in Canada.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 22:34   #5
Senior Member+

We can decide whether we pay for other channels why not bbc?
DaveinGermany likes this.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 23:39   #6

I think the BBC should pay us to watch it, especially as nearly every other programme seems to feature Clare Balding.
mallard and MargaretR like this.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 09:11   #7
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
We can decide whether we pay for other channels why not bbc?
The licence is to receive TV transmissions not just BBC. There are many free channels, you only pay for premium TV.
Old 16-08-2015, 10:15   #8

Does "live" programming include all the repeats?

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 10:20   #9
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

We've got the satellite dish set for the Astra 2d sat, so we get the UK telly channels without the extortionate licence fee. That said though we still pay the "GEZ", the German equivalent even though we don't use their services,
Old 16-08-2015, 16:27   #10
Senior Member+

DSCF5634.JPG

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 16:40   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
Does "live" programming include all the repeats?
Anything that is being broadcast, whether a live show or a repeat is classed as a live transmission.
Old 16-08-2015, 16:43   #12
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinGermany View Post
We've got the satellite dish set for the Astra 2d sat, so we get the UK telly channels without the extortionate licence fee. That said though we still pay the "GEZ", the German equivalent even though we don't use their services,
We had the same in France, used Sky which was registered as being in UK, didn't use French TV but the "licence" is included in their version of Council Tax
Old 16-08-2015, 17:09   #13
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
used Sky which was registered as being in UK,
I think most of the British military posted to Germany were using sky because BFBS/SSVC telly was crap. It's amazing how many troops didn't have a "house phone" & had to use a phone box on the corner to get the signal released while they could watch & wave to the Missus as she jiggled the dish to get a picture.
Old 17-08-2015, 00:48   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post
I have come to the conclusion that TV license fee should be scrapped. Yes I pay for it and I find that it makes me want to watch more TV and if I got rid of the TV and told them so, they would still make me pay it because they wouldn't believe I had totally stopped watching it and still had access to it on computer or other devices.

These days you can watch TV in most library's on their computers - so why should we keep paying for it?

The alternative is that they scrap it and the BBC start having advertising. What they could do is keep BBC 1 as it is - with no ads and then have another channel like BBC 2 which has ad breaks or have all ad breaks and have private subscription channel kept as it is now with no ads.

I just think the license has had it's day - what does anyone here think?
You do not have to pay for a TV license here in oz. We have been here over 40years and never had to pay for one.

Last edited by Neil; 18-08-2015 at 11:35. Reason: fix quote
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2015, 08:20   #15
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=Aussie Irene;1147941]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrelx View Post

I just think the license has had it's day - what does anyone here think?[/Q

You do not have to pay for a TV license here in oz. We have been here over 40years and never had to pay for one.
For the past 3yrs or so i've not watched TV and had no need for a license.Yet even after I've informed them of this they still send me letters (pictured above) which is a total waste of money as i don't even open them anymore (I'll spare you the rant about the oppressive presumption of guilt etc ).they even pay capita to do the license processing now...another waste of money....

...like you say,it has had its day

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..