Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 25-08-2013, 13:37   #1

Skin Tags?

Has anybody ever successfully treated these with at-home methods?

My partner has several on his neck/shoulder area. They aren't very noticeable as his hair is long but they're bothering him-I also have one in my armpit (I think caused by shaving) which doesn't bother me so much but I would prefer to not have it if possible.

I have looked into laser treatment for them but if there's anything we can try first that anybody knows about then I would be grateful.

So far I have heard tee-tree oil, apple cider vinegar, tying cotton/dental floss to them (I have actually used this method before, and it worked, but because the ones in question are small it may be tricky!) and the same sort of products that work for warts/verrucas though I think they're quite strong chemicals and would rather not use these if possible.
Thanks in advance
Old 25-08-2013, 14:18   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Skin Tags?

Use the thread method it is the safest to do at home...failing that get in touch with your doctor and he/she will arrange for their removal.

Personally, I wouldn't use the wart removal stuff as warts are a bit different in their composition(skin tags are usually soft and fleshy, warts are firmer and more 'warty' for want of a better word
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 15:26   #3

Neill's doctor was very unhelpful, but then again even with his serious health issues they were useless. I had to go with him and insist on us getting earlier appointments after they seemed to like brushing things under the carpet.
About the skin tags they just said they weren't a health threat so just to leave them alone. I know they don't matter, but they are unsightly and annoy him.

I'll be honest I don't really know what a wart looks like in comparison to a skin tag, some of the ones he has are just tiny round things which is how I would imagine a wart, and I know one of my female friends had some at the top of her thighs (caused by shaving) and she panicked thinking they were warts because they were just tiny bumps.
Old 25-08-2013, 15:32   #4
Beacon of light

A couple of bits of advice.....1) a Doctor like this is unhelpful and makes patient reluctant to visit...this means an easier life for him, but it is dangerous for the patient..they may ignore something that has the potential to be serious - Change the GP.
2) you have the internet Jen pull up pictures of warts.....they are quite different to skin tags......their surface is rough and feels a bit like the pads on an adult dogs paws...a skin tag is soft and has little in the way of substance to it......usually occurs where two skin surfaces rub together.

The bumps your friend had from shaving were probably ingrown hairs.
Old 25-08-2013, 15:52   #5
Senior Member+

I have a few around my neck. My wife tied them of with some nylon thread and in a week they just shrivelled up and dropped off
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 17:14   #6

Had one under my arm once put a thread round it nice and tight it did swell a bit at first but dropped off after about a week !!!
Shurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 17:23   #7
Senior Member+

Skin Tags?

Never had a skin tag, but had a wart once on finger tip. Picked it out one root at a time with a compass, bled like hell, but it never came back.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 18:47   #8
Beacon of light

It was probably to scared to come back....seriously though, you were very lucky not to get the site of the wart infected(that's me with my Nurses head on!).
Old 25-08-2013, 18:49   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It was probably to scared to come back....seriously though, you were very lucky not to get the site of the wart infected(that's me with my Nurses head on!).
It wasn`t the prettiest self operation i`ve ever done.
Old 25-08-2013, 19:15   #10
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
It wasn`t the prettiest self operation i`ve ever done.
I'll bet it wasn't. Did your Ma tell you off?
Old 25-08-2013, 19:20   #11
Senior Member+

Quote:
I'll bet it wasn't. Did your Ma tell you off?
She wouldn`t have noticed. I have been told off by the mrs for removing toenails though.
Old 26-08-2013, 06:29   #12

done that with a wart myself but have known someone to get the scissors and cut one off. Not a pretty sight, i can tell you!
GJWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 01:02   #13

Quote:
A couple of bits of advice.....1) a Doctor like this is unhelpful and makes patient reluctant to visit...this means an easier life for him, but it is dangerous for the patient..they may ignore something that has the potential to be serious - Change the GP.
2) you have the internet Jen pull up pictures of warts.....they are quite different to skin tags......their surface is rough and feels a bit like the pads on an adult dogs paws...a skin tag is soft and has little in the way of substance to it......usually occurs where two skin surfaces rub together.

The bumps your friend had from shaving were probably ingrown hairs.
Honestly don't get me started-they're chuffing useless. I wrote a letter of complaint to them recently because they were so disorganised and unhelpful during his recent cancer scare (we have the all-clear for now, thankfully). I wish we could change but no others in his area-however I have advised him that if any further complications occur we are going private! I really cannot stand incapable GPs. Even their practice is a reflection of their care, it's so scruffy and pokey and impersonal-and they're very rude on the telephone too.
Ingrown hairs are a pain-I have had issues with those too. I have had a look at warts now and I understand more what you mean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I have a few around my neck. My wife tied them of with some nylon thread and in a week they just shrivelled up and dropped off
I love the unconditional love thing here-I did that with one of Neill's too but I don't fancy my chances with the smaller ones.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurm View Post
Had one under my arm once put a thread round it nice and tight it did swell a bit at first but dropped off after about a week !!!
Quote:
Never had a skin tag, but had a wart once on finger tip. Picked it out one root at a time with a compass, bled like hell, but it never came back.
Quote:
She wouldn`t have noticed. I have been told off by the mrs for removing toenails though.
I do not want this image in my head

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJWatson View Post
done that with a wart myself but have known someone to get the scissors and cut one off. Not a pretty sight, i can tell you!
I don't fancy that either!

Thank you for all the replies everybody
Old 27-08-2013, 12:56   #14

Quote:
...you were very lucky not to get the site of the wart infected...
Um - wasn't it already infected? Warts are benign growths caused by a virus.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 13:21   #15
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Skin Tags?

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I had a wife like that, the technique she used was slightly different, but after the honeymoon it may as well have shrivelled up and dropped off!
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..