Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 17-02-2014, 12:46   #106
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Smoking ban......(Hmmmm)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
If they were working many hours oer there time,i can only assume they did,Margaret will no doubt clarify. But yeh seem to be looking fer any excuse to nit-pick??
Nit picking is good for him, it is what the inferior ape does to try and ingratiate itself with those higher in the group.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 17-02-2014, 12:48   #107
Senior Member+

I don`t mean to nit-pick, and if that`s how it`s come across then I can only apologise, but i don`t like to make assumptions, i`d rather just ask the question.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 12:51   #108
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Fair enough, but it does seem n obvious assumption i made if people are working many hours oer time?
Old 17-02-2014, 13:02   #109
Senior Member+

It should be, but I know from when my mrs was on the wards, she`d come home after a long day (7.30am - 8.30pm) having not had a break since 10.30. She`d had to work through her dinner and afternoon break.
Old 17-02-2014, 13:13   #110
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Did the non-smokers get a similar kind of deal, pehaps if they need a brew they can just nip off to the canteen.
The non smokers could brew up any time they wanted to...and we had the facilities on the ward to do so....but most of the nurses used to have a brew while they were doing the writing up of notes.
Breaks often went by the wayside if the workload was particularly heavy, patients came first(busy theatre days, large influx of emergencies, poorly patients) The work was not only physically draining but it was also traumatic at times - I am sure I don't need to outline just why...and sometimes if a staff member had been upset by an incident, then I would suggest they took 'five' - had a brew and a fag(If they were a smoker)...I think this is why my staff worked well for me.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 13:14   #111
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Nit picking is good for him, it is what the inferior ape does to try and ingratiate itself with those higher in the group.
When you say "higher in the group" I assume you mean "the inner clique"
It may well be "what the inferior ape does",But as your part of a (evolved) civilized human race,you should really try an see others as equal not "higher" or lower than yourself

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 13:20   #112
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
The non smokers could brew up any time they wanted to...and we had the facilities on the ward to do so....but most of the nurses used to have a brew while they were doing the writing up of notes.
Breaks often went by the wayside if the workload was particularly heavy, patients came first(busy theatre days, large influx of emergencies, poorly patients) The work was not only physically draining but it was also traumatic at times - I am sure I don't need to outline just why...and sometimes if a staff member had been upset by an incident, then I would suggest they took 'five' - had a brew and a fag(If they were a smoker)...I think this is why my staff worked well for me.
Most likely, but these days you can`t just have a fag, you have to walk down to haslingden road to do it, and when you see people doing this when you`ve gone 10 hours with no dinner, brew or even a sit down, it does kind of wind you up slightly. Main reason she got off the wards as soon as she could. But it`s not just the NHS though, it`s exactly the same where I worked, constantly pulled up for being at the drink fountain (worked in over 100 degree heat most days) yet others are fagging it every hour without fail.
Old 17-02-2014, 13:21   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
It may well be "what the inferior ape does",But as your part of a (evolved) civilized human race,you should really try an see others as equal not "higher" or lower than yourself
Completely the wrong conclusion but expertly jumped to well done.
Old 17-02-2014, 13:24   #114
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
Oh-oh, Accyexplorer dropped the "C" bomb.
Less and Eric like this.
Old 17-02-2014, 13:27   #115
Senior Member+

[QUOTE=Less;1094819]Completely the wrong conclusion but expertly jumped to well done.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 14:07   #116
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Most likely, but these days you can`t just have a fag, you have to walk down to haslingden road to do it, and when you see people doing this when you`ve gone 10 hours with no dinner, brew or even a sit down, it does kind of wind you up slightly. Main reason she got off the wards as soon as she could. But it`s not just the NHS though, it`s exactly the same where I worked, constantly pulled up for being at the drink fountain (worked in over 100 degree heat most days) yet others are fagging it every hour without fail.
We had a courtyard next to our wards and the staff used to go out there for a quick fag break.(it was permitted for staff to use these internal courtyards as long as they didn't leave their dog ends lying around)
It has to be stated that this was some time ago...I have been retired now for 11 years and my, unit as it was, moved over to Burnley,
I cannot say what it is like over there, but I do know that the work hasn't got any easier...and though I miss the interaction with patients, I am not sorry to be out of it.

I reckon I worked in the NHS at the very best of times. I certainly enjoyed my work and always enjoyed the challenges.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 15:11   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I have removed the BBC copy and paste as it is against the rules.

Why do these so called celebrities think that anyone cares what they think?
I have come to this thread late, so it opened at page 4 for me. See post 49, Neil. You have included the BBC link.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 15:21   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
I have come to this thread late, so it opened at page 4 for me. See post 49, Neil. You have included the BBC link.
The link is allowed by the BBC what they don't allow is copying and pasting part of it's content.
They have threatened AccyWeb with legal action on a few occasions, that is why copy and paste from their sites isn't allowed.
Old 17-02-2014, 16:03   #119
Senior Member+

To get back to the ban- I think even the smokers would agree that smoking is expensive, unsociable(except in a group of smokers), stinks, ruins your decorations and is very bad for your health- lethal even.
The older ones on here started when smoking was sexy, romantic and almost compulsory. Hard to stop and I really can't think why anyone would ever want to start now the dangers are so clearly known.

BUT- I'm tired of various Governments being our nannies. Interfering in every little bit of our private lives, whether we are doing something silly or not. The idiots who smoke in their cars with their children will continue to do so- because they are idiots. The sensible ones don't need yet another almost unenforceable petty law. I wouldn't smoke in my car with adults, never mind children and when I do the sun roof is fully open(hate the smell!).
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2014, 16:07   #120
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Spot on wi that Gordon.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..