Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree78Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-02-2014, 00:25   #121

Re: Smoking ban......(Hmmmm)

Yes Eric, everyone in Montreal will be going to the South shore to the Mohawks to buy them.
joaner3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-02-2014, 06:51   #122
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
To get back to the ban- I think even the smokers would agree that smoking is expensive, unsociable(except in a group of smokers), stinks, ruins your decorations and is very bad for your health- lethal even.
The older ones on here started when smoking was sexy, romantic and almost compulsory. Hard to stop and I really can't think why anyone would ever want to start now the dangers are so clearly known.

BUT- I'm tired of various Governments being our nannies. Interfering in every little bit of our private lives, whether we are doing something silly or not. The idiots who smoke in their cars with their children will continue to do so- because they are idiots. The sensible ones don't need yet another almost unenforceable petty law. I wouldn't smoke in my car with adults, never mind children and when I do the sun roof is fully open(hate the smell!).
For some reason, even though the dangers are well documented and spelled out very clearly, I regularly encounter young folk(maybe twelve or thirteen) smoking blatantly on their way home from school.....in school uniform with the name of the school clearly emblazoned on their jumper(very few of these children appear to possess a coat, even in the most inclement of weather).
Perhaps they are suffering from that thing that seems to afflict youth - they think they are immortal - that cancer and heart disease are what 'old folk' get.

When the smokers of my generation were children.......the 'bobby' would give you a cuff round the lug hole and take you home and tell your parents what he had stopped you from doing. You would then get a hiding from your father for doing the deed and an extra slap for having to be brought home by the 'bobby'.

So young smokers back then did it secretly.
Accyexplorer likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 07:36   #123
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
For some reason, even though the dangers are well documented and spelled out very clearly, I regularly encounter young folk(maybe twelve or thirteen) smoking blatantly on their way home from school.....in school uniform with the name of the school clearly emblazoned on their jumper(very few of these children appear to possess a coat, even in the most inclement of weather).
Perhaps they are suffering from that thing that seems to afflict youth - they think they are immortal - that cancer and heart disease are what 'old folk' get.

When the smokers of my generation were children.......the 'bobby' would give you a cuff round the lug hole and take you home and tell your parents what he had stopped you from doing. You would then get a hiding from your father for doing the deed and an extra slap for having to be brought home by the 'bobby'.

So young smokers back then did it secretly.
That's the problem with kids of today,they live in the "touch me and i'll sue you" era.
The "hiding","slap" you mentioned are pleasant words for the 'kicking' I got for bringing the police to the door ( I felt far from immortal)
(didn't happen again though) .
I believe education,not incrimination is the answer (maybe the odd "slap" to help it sink in)

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 08:17   #124
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

The way to educate should be a "SLAP" it sure educated me.
Old 18-02-2014, 08:35   #125
Full Member+

I definitely think that smoking is less of a problem now among school age kids than when I was a teenager, where, it seemed we were all 'fagging it'. As I regularly pass through the hoards of kids coming home from school when I'm on my way to work I very rarely see them smoking. Unfortunately, I got hooked on ciggies as a teenager but my kids,fortunately, grew up hating them and never took it up. I can also remember my mum (who was a smoker when I was small) always taking us upstairs on the bus where she could smoke and finding the smell disgusting, I used to feel sick with all the smoke. Even as a smoker, I'm glad I don't have to sit through that anymore.
Old 18-02-2014, 09:13   #126
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The way to educate should be a "SLAP" it sure educated me.
Didn't stop you though, did it?
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 09:33   #127
Beacon of light

Gordon, you can't say that for sure. Who knows how bad he MIGHT have been without the chastening slap?
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 09:39   #128
I am Banned

Quote:
when I do the sun roof is fully open(hate the smell!).
You obviously don't live on the Somerset Levels then Gordon.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2014, 09:58   #129
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Didn't stop you though, did it?
Gee wish i knew as much as you!!! Please enlighten us all.
Old 19-02-2014, 13:11   #130
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joaner3 View Post
Yes Eric, everyone in Montreal will be going to the South shore to the Mohawks to buy them.
And fill up with gas while they are there

Maybe things would be better if we gave the country back to the First Nations ... or, at least, live up to the treaties we signed in order to get the land.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 22:57   #131
Resting in Peace

well I don't have kids they are grown up... so I can smoke in my car when I want to: whatever next: sick of this nanny state we are in: one of the main reasons all the pubs are closed is because of the smoking ban.... ( I know there are others too)
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 00:44   #132
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by magpie View Post
well I don't have kids they are grown up... so I can smoke in my car when I want to: whatever next: sick of this nanny state we are in: one of the main reasons all the pubs are closed is because of the smoking ban.... ( I know there are others too)
I prefer the term fascist dictatorship.
Personally I'm not that bothered if folk want to kill themselves it's upto them It's personal choice....(obviously smoking with a child in the car is wrong on many levels)
Let us smokers do our thing,as long as we are aware of the consequences and try not to pollute others already polluted air.

The politicians need to put as much effort as they do into turning us into submissive slaves,'cash cows' and concentrate on getting the country back on its feet.Many business's were effected with the last ban,pubs being high on the list.
We don't need telling smoking in a car with a child is ,child after all said an done a form of child abuse.like I've said before "I don't know anyone except my uncle who's actually done it"....

....Do you,Does anyone??

password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 20-02-2014 at 00:52.
Old 20-02-2014, 06:39   #133
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post
"I don't know anyone except my uncle who's actually done it"....

....Do you,Does anyone??
Yes.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 08:22   #134
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Yes.
still?, to this day they smoke in their car with kids in?

Suppose there is always going to be the irresponsible parent,similar to there is always going to be the irresponsible dog owner.
Perhaps we could start name an shaming

password--Accyweb
Old 20-02-2014, 08:27   #135
Senior Member+

Yes, she doesn`t have kids herself, but nephews and younger sisters, if they want to come with her shopping (and they always do) then they have to put up with her smoking.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..