Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2013, 13:07   #1
God Member

sparkling water

I've started drinking it because it seems to settle my tummy down when I feel sick,is it bad for you though? There seems to be a lot if sodium in it
Old 09-03-2013, 13:22   #2
Beacon of light

Re: sparkling water

Unless you are drinking gallons of the stuff....I wouldn't worry about it Shaz...especially if it makes you feel better.
I'm sick of reading about what is good for us and what isn't.
We are all unique human beings...not identical tins of beans....and anyway what one scientific study says one week is contradicted a week later by another.

my motto is, eat what you like, drink what you like in moderation.
bu88er what the 'experts' say.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 13:39   #3
Resting In Peace

I agree with Margaret, moderation is the key. The composition of the water will depend on where it comes from and what rocks etc are in the local geology. The bottle I have here just now has less than 75mg of sodium per litre.

Dietary guidelines suggest an intake of no more than 2000mg (2g) of sodium per day. That is up to 6g of salt as salt is about one third sodium by weight. But that's only about half a teaspoon of salt. Still the amount of sodium in fizzy water is minuscule in comparison to the daily allowance suggested.

Most fizzy water has bicarbonate in it, which is good for settling your tummy. A teaspoon of bicarb in water used to be my dad's remedy if we were feeling sick.

Last edited by susie123; 09-03-2013 at 13:42.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 13:44   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Shaz everythings bad fer yeh in excess, like the ladies say moderation is the key, sod the doom merchants.
Old 09-03-2013, 13:46   #5
God Member

Thanx Marg and Susie, I got a pack of 6 x 500 ml from Aldi last night, looking on the label it says there's 84 mg of sodium in each bottle, but I got 500 ml bottle of highland spring sparkling water yesterday and that only has 5.6 mg of sodium in it

I only drink it when I'm feeling sick or have an upset tummy so I'm not drinking loads of it, its a good job really
Old 09-03-2013, 13:47   #6
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Shaz everythings bad fer yeh in excess, like the ladies say moderation is the key, sod the doom merchants.
Thank you Cashy, nice to be called a lady once in a while!
Old 09-03-2013, 13:51   #7
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Thanx Marg and Susie, I got a pack of 6 x 500 ml from Aldi last night, looking on the label it says there's 84 mg of sodium in each bottle, but I got 500 ml bottle of highland spring sparkling water yesterday and that only has 5.6 mg of sodium in it

I only drink it when I'm feeling sick or have an upset tummy so I'm not drinking loads of it, its a good job really
Ginger beer is good for tummies too, if you don't mind the sugar.
Old 09-03-2013, 14:08   #8
God Member

I don't like ginger beer, my dad drinks that sometimes
Old 09-03-2013, 14:23   #9
Beacon of light

It is sad that you don't like ginger beer because Old and Bargain(Home Bargains) has Crabbies ginger beer at 49 pence per 500ml bottle...that's so cheap!
Old 09-03-2013, 14:31   #10
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
It is sad that you don't like ginger beer because Old and Bargain(Home Bargains) has Crabbies ginger beer at 49 pence per 500ml bottle...that's so cheap!
If I'm not mistaken that's alcoholic, Margaret, made by mixing Crabbies ginger wine (which is nice) with water etc. And it's disgusting - I had some in the pub once, all I could taste was sodium metabisulphite (preservative) and artificial sweetener. No wonder they're giving it away!

PS Old Jamaica ginger beer (my favourite) is £1.15 for 1.5l at Sainsbury's.

Last edited by susie123; 09-03-2013 at 14:34.
susie123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 14:58   #11
Resting in Peace

Think I'll stick with Old Peculier mi sen
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 15:15   #12

Re: Re: sparkling water

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
If I'm not mistaken that's alcoholic, Margaret, made by mixing Crabbies ginger wine (which is nice) with water etc. And it's disgusting - I had some in the pub once, all I could taste was sodium metabisulphite (preservative) and artificial sweetener. No wonder they're giving it away!

Can't beat Old Jamica over ice with a wedge of lemon and in my case a generous shot of bourbon on a hot summers day
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 17:59   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
I've started drinking it because it seems to settle my tummy down when I feel sick,is it bad for you though? There seems to be a lot if sodium in it
What is it that makes you feel sick in the first place?
davebtelford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:10   #14
God Member

Bottled beer sparkles
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 18:45   #15
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post

No Sue, it is non alcoholic and it is just delicious. Crabbies do an alcoholic version but it isn't this one.
And it doesn't have artificial sweetener in it.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..