Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 30-12-2008, 23:31   #16
God Member

Re: Speeding-limiting cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by entwisi View Post
As mentioned, its being quoted as voluntary,

I'd love to see them try it, its just not a viable plan and shows just how out of touch in reality these muppets really are. They make so much money on insurance tax, car tax, VAT ( on sales and servicing etc) that premium cars are a total cash cow for them, to remove any desire or reason to drive a premium product would be fatal to teh UK economy.
I agree....I have a motor which is capable of doing 130 mph.
I dont do it....What annoys me is the young speed merchants who think they can drive....but dont know how to stop.
Driving on the middle lane of the motorway at a constant speed can be the accident waiting to happen.
Never mind regulating the speed limit of existing motors...Make the driving test and the application of it more of a qualification than a result.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 30-12-2008, 23:51   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
As mentioned, its being quoted as voluntary,

I'd love to see them try it, its just not a viable plan and shows just how out of touch in reality these muppets really are. They make so much money on insurance tax, car tax, VAT ( on sales and servicing etc) that premium cars are a total cash cow for them, to remove any desire or reason to drive a premium product would be fatal to teh UK economy.
The Economy aint DEAD? mind ya that spamming cow on general chat,don't think so.
Old 31-12-2008, 09:25   #18
Resting in Peace

What has always surprised me is why they actually make cars that do 140mph 150mph 160mph. when the fastest anybody can legally drive is 70mph.
Old 31-12-2008, 09:28   #19
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
The Economy aint DEAD? mind ya that spamming cow on general chat,don't think so.
Think she must have been deleted cashy, while I've been in bobos
Old 31-12-2008, 09:43   #20
God Member

Few reasons that immediately spring to mind

one, a car that could 'just' do 70 will be slow getting there. There are no limits on acceleration ( and in fact this is what gives a greater thrill than just doing say constant 100 )

if you needed to accelerate at 70 to get out of way of something then you wouldn't be able to.

There are many places where drivers can exceed 70 ( Track Days, Autobahns etc )

Not many people stick to 70 even on motorways ( from someone who spends 2.5 hours a day on them ) and even most traffic plod think 70 is unrealistic in todays cars, 70 was brought in when the average family saloon did exactly what you suggest, about 70-80 top speed, your average family saloon is now capable of 120+ and twice the mpg and god knows teh levels of safety. Then we get into the improvements in brakes, suspension, tyres etc. drive a 2008 basic 1.6 Focus/Astra at 80 then get in a 1960's Austin cambridge and try doing 60, I bet you the latter will feel 1000x more dangerous.

Prestige - like it or not we humans are vain creatures, to some its the latest designer clothes, to some its the biggest flashiest TV, to others its cars, in your world there would be only basic clothing, one size of TV, one type/size of house etc, you soon see how silly it becomes when you apply teh same logic across our whole life.

I can understand that a non petrolhead wouldn't understand it just like I don't 'get' spending hundreds of pounds on a pair of jeans when I can buy perfectly good pair for under 20.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 10:09   #21
K-P

I used to ahve a limiter on a lorry I drove.. a big old dodge that had a double clutch and limited to 55mph (never knew why) and it was as frustrating as hell .... long hill out of barrow was a great place to free wheel to 70-80

Nowerdays in my car I stick to speed limits in towns and the like.

On moterways I do 80 minimum and rare over 90.. genrally 80

When traffic comes close to a moterway polce car they all slow down to 70 and it causes problems... i try to shoot past at 80+ .. the police dont give me a second look but you know all the other drivers are thinking... whys the copper not chasing him..

Police when cruising do 70 ..99% of drivers either sit behind or pass at 72 MPH until out of sight then speed up

Oh and at 80 on the moterways theres always more cars pass me than me pass others.
Old 31-12-2008, 14:20   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Few reasons that immediately spring to mind

one, a car that could 'just' do 70 will be slow getting there. There are no limits on acceleration ( and in fact this is what gives a greater thrill than just doing say constant 100 )

if you needed to accelerate at 70 to get out of way of something then you wouldn't be able to.
Can't make my mind up about this one. If everybody slowed their speed down on the motorway and operated a uniform speed, then you would not get the traffic hold-ups that are there are now, so could be quicker in the long run.

Whilst overtaking, you should not put yourself in a position which necessitates you going any faster than the limit on a particular stretch of road anyway. The fact that you would have to speed up suggests that you have not allowed enough stretch of clear road to do so in the first place, and by increasing your speed would make any collision more tragic.

Could help a little when you are caught doing a little over the limit and obtain points for a say 36 mph in a 30 zone (which I did .. but wasn't concentrating properly at the time). This was bad anticipation and the speed restriction would anticipate it for you, as well as not losing concentration from watching your speedometer all the time.

Lots of accidents in rural areas are caused by boy racers, but mainly due to their acceleration going up to 30 mph.

Think, at the end of the day, is a matter of educating drivers into better overtaking, speeding, etc., but this has been tried for years now, and still many accidents due to speeding.

It is a suggested for it to be voluntary and can be over ridden, but must admit, don't think I would volunteer at the moment..
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 14:53   #23
God Member

I'd disagree,
firstly the minute you take control of something humans naturally 'switch off' this could lead to people paying even less attention to whats happening around them than they do now.

The young lad syndrome is rarely about acceleration as insurance costs alone keep them in low power cars, their accidents are usually through trying to carry too much speed for the car and conditions. e.g. if it takes you 15 seconds to get to 60 you don't want to slow down any more than necessary

You're last but one comment puzzles me TBH, once you pass your test what eductaion or training is there for you? Very little. If this Gov really had road safety at its heart then regular retests would be a simple way of raising driving standards. Unfortunately there is more chance of me winning Hyndburn hunks than that ever happening!

Life is far too random to say that you shoul d never find yourself in a position that you need to accelerate out of harms way. I've been in a few situations through no fault of mine where I couldn't avoid it ( example, riding in the outside lane of a busy motorway, car joins from slip road and just careers straight across and was coming into my space with teh driver oblivious to me being there. I had a car about 10 foot behind me so if I braked he would have taken me off, a car in front of me but as I'd left a decent space I could accelerate actually into the gap between him and teh car to his left as if I was filtering, as we were all sat at 70 what could I have done if I hadn't been able to get out of teh way? )

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2008, 15:25   #24
Resting in Peace

These are not strictly the points I put forward Entwisi.

Don't think it will lead to more drivers 'switching off' if that is what they do now anyway.

Even in low powered cars ... still boy racers take off more quickly than considerate drivers and yes they do not/care not take note of the conditions of the road. Was talking mainly in 30 zones.

Agree re. extra education for drivers .. meant that there has been many advertising campaigns in the past to avert speeding which may have had some effect for those who wish to take note, but not wholly successful.

Have been in situations on the motorway myself in which you describe .. was just concentrating on the overtaking. Does seem to me that even though there will be an over-ride button .. would have to be exceptionally sharp to operate it.

Like I said, not convinced myself .. just good to get other people's opinions.

Will not reply to your comment re. Hyndburn Hunks... LOL.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..