Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 26-08-2008, 19:10   #1
Senior Member+

St John's Ambulance

Researching for a book I am going to publish in November, I cannot find one of my own reference books, so can anyone tell me if I am correct in thinking that before the St John's Ambulance Brigade Drill Hall on Bull Bridge was opened in 1904 ( by Baden-Powell), the SJAB used to meet in Bridge Street?
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 26-08-2008, 20:07   #2
Senior Member+

Re: St John's Ambulance

I think Ber999t is something to do with st Johns ambulance Bob , If he doesnt know he may be able to find out for you, I'd send him a pm, if i was you... hope that helps.

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 22:08   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Researching for a book I am going to publish in November, I cannot find one of my own reference books, so can anyone tell me if I am correct in thinking that before the St John's Ambulance Brigade Drill Hall on Bull Bridge was opened in 1904 ( by Baden-Powell), the SJAB used to meet in Bridge Street?
No there was an old building on that site that was the Ambulance Drill, I have a photo of it some where, they may have met in Bridge St whilst the new building was being constructed. That was opened in 1904, I have an old postcard of that event.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2008, 23:31   #4
Resting in Peace

Hi Bob not too sure of the meeting place pre-1904 but will see if there is anyting in the books at the Drill Hall or you could try our County Archivist by ringing County HQ. Have replied to your pm but when I get more info will send you another pm.
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2008, 13:18   #5
I am Banned

Bob a copy of the photo I took in the Library this morning.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bull Brig-1904.jpg (437.6 KB, 37 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 28-08-2008 at 13:28.
Old 28-08-2008, 19:30   #6
Senior Member+

The Russians are looking for a chap like you to spy for them - this is bloody good.

I found the occupant of ' old parsonage' ( rev Hopwood (?) In 1818 he was living at 'Bank' This could have been Heifer Bank I suppose. Bank terrace would not be described as Abbey Street.
Old 28-08-2008, 21:07   #7
I am Banned

Quote:
The Russians are looking for a chap like you to spy for them - this is bloody good.

I found the occupant of ' old parsonage' ( rev Hopwood (?) In 1818 he was living at 'Bank' This could have been Heifer Bank I suppose. Bank terrace would not be described as Abbey Street.
There were no houses in Bank Terrace in 1818, it might be Heifer Bank.

Retlaw.
Old 28-08-2008, 21:33   #8
I am Banned

Quote:

Ran out of time on the previous post.

There were 4 families living at Heifer Bank Farm & Cottages in 1841, plus 6 lodgers, don't think vicars would have lived there, haven't found anything in the 1790 or the 1828 surveys yet.

Retlaw
Old 28-08-2008, 22:07   #9
I am Banned

Quote:

Found him in the 1841 census, if you follow the enumerators route he leaves Heifer Bank Farm & cottages, then to the Parsonage and then to Bank St, the map shows it to be at the top of Infant St, facing Charlie Browns, and before you get to Queen St, what used to be called Cannon St, before the present Cannon St came into being

Heifers Bank Farm in 1790 was owned by Messrs Peel & tenented by John Heap, farm consisted of 39 acres, and was rated at £33. In 1828 it was owned by John Peel and tenanted by George Heap, acreage 38, value now £71. Most of the farm land was up what is now Avenue Parade and the Water St area.

Retlaw
Old 29-08-2008, 21:49   #10
Senior Member+

I had come to the opinion that it was likely to be Heifer's Bank. At a later time, George Peel, Jonathan's brother was living there, and was the land agent for the Peels.

To summarise, I now know that the SJAB were in Bridge St before 1904, and also kept their horse-drawn ambulance at Bull Bridge before the new Drill Hall was built.
Old 30-08-2008, 11:44   #11
I am Banned

Quote:
I had come to the opinion that it was likely to be Heifer's Bank. At a later time, George Peel, Jonathan's brother was living there, and was the land agent for the Peels.

To summarise, I now know that the SJAB were in Bridge St before 1904, and also kept their horse-drawn ambulance at Bull Bridge before the new Drill Hall was built.
In 1841 the residents of Accrington House were John McDonald Capt Infntry half pay, and his wife independant means. Jane Peel was classed as a lodger of independant means. John Hopwood was still living at the Parsonage in 1851, it was on the site in Abbey St, where I said in a earlier post, the land may have been part of Heifers bank at one time, and still refered to as Heifer Bank by the older genaration. Heifer Bank farm was occupied by Thomas Haworth, Farmer 26 Acres. So you can see the farm acreage is decreasing, as more land is being given over to house building.

I don't think any of the male Peels were still living in Accrington by then.

Who ever owns the property in Abbey St, which was once the parsonage, should show the previous occupiers in their title deeds.

Retlaw.

Last edited by Retlaw; 30-08-2008 at 11:48.
Old 30-08-2008, 14:22   #12
I am Banned

Bob. The first one of these pictures, is from the map of Accrington dated 1784,
the 3rd is from the 1863 map. the 2nd one is from Peels Estate plan, dated 1800.

On the 1863 map I've put the (P) where the parsonage was and also shown where Heifers Bank was.

Retlaw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accy 1784 map..JPG (43.6 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Accy 1800 Estate Plan..JPG (29.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Accy 1863 map.a.JPG (66.3 KB, 24 views)

Last edited by Retlaw; 30-08-2008 at 14:27. Reason: picture order wrong
Old 02-09-2008, 21:22   #13
I am Banned

Bob
These are the pictures, we were discussing today in Library.
Relaw
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Brown & Catlow..jpg (68.7 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Bull Bridge.jpg (77.5 KB, 31 views)
File Type: jpg Bull Bridge.1a.jpg (37.5 KB, 26 views)
Old 07-03-2009, 16:14   #14

Lightbulb Re: St John's Ambulance

Hi. You are right that the St. John Ambulance HQ in Accrington was, at the time, in Bridge Street. If you wish to see it in a local context, visit the "Our History" page of the Accrington Pipe Band website. Accrington Pipe Band was at one time the band of the Accrington St John Ambulance. Athough it no longer has any official connection, it does still meet in the Ambulance's current HQ.
Peter Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 16:15   #15

Whoops, sorry, I didn't give you the web address. It is

http://www.accringtonpipeband.org.uk/

Last edited by Mick; 08-03-2009 at 07:11.
Peter Wilkinson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..