Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Bob Dobson

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2013, 18:43   #1
Full Member+

Cool Strange epitaph in Heysham village

Does anyone know anything about a grave in St Peters churchyard in Heysham Village with the epitaph Sarah Hannah Jones, Poet, Philosopher and Failure. She died in 1909 aged 44. Caught my eye as it was such a strange thing to have on a gravestone from years ago. Somebody must have had a cracking sense of humour in those days. I can't find anything much on Google.
Old 15-07-2013, 21:06   #2
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

re: Strange epitaph in Heysham village

Possibly Susie may have some idea, when she sees this?
Old 16-07-2013, 06:31   #3
Senior Member+

I will ask my Family History pals up there.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 10:52   #4
God Member

Perhaps she wanted that written herself -seems an odd thing for a family member to write especially as she is descibed as a loving wife. Perhaps she felt she had failed in her chosen professions of Poet and Philosopher...certainly a strange epitaph!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-07-2013, 10:58   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Probably would not have got away wi n epitaph like that these days? certainly H.B.C. would object, I know that fer fact.
Old 16-07-2013, 12:18   #6
Resting In Peace

Yes I've seen that - always thought it referred to the poet and philosopher bit rather than the wife bit, as Dianne says. I know nothing more about it however. Heysham churchyard is such a lovely place, running right down to the sea at the bottom and with so many ancient artifacts, that I think the more modern things tend to get overlooked. I love going up to the top where the stone graves and the little monastery chapel are - so different from Morecambe where I live!
Old 16-07-2013, 21:01   #7
Full Member+

I visit the village a couple of times a year. It's a peaceful place and the churchyard and monastery graves carved in to the rock are fascinating. Sometimes there is someone from the church sat inside looking after it so next time I'm up there I'll ask them about the story behind the grave.
Old 17-07-2013, 09:04   #8
Senior Member+

Re: Strange epitaph in Heysham village

Maybe it was this lady who coined the phrase "I've been down so long, it feels like up to me"
Old 17-07-2013, 10:52   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dobson View Post
Maybe it was this lady who coined the phrase "I've been down so long, it feels like up to me"
I think that might be a little too philosophical for her!

Given she was a failure at philosophising!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 17-07-2013, 19:14   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
I think that might be a little too philosophical for her!

Given she was a failure at philosophising!
She could have written " I was a poet, but folk didn't know it"

That would make me lacking in self-confidence . Hell fire, this is getting at me. I used to shrug my shoulders at being dis-regarded, but now I'm more philosophical about it.
mobertol likes this.
Old 18-07-2013, 12:13   #11
God Member

I suspect she may have been "furrin" as all the inhabitants of Lankyshire are natural philosophers!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 19-07-2013, 10:03   #12
Rest in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
I visit the village a couple of times a year. It's a peaceful place and the churchyard and monastery graves carved in to the rock are fascinating. Sometimes there is someone from the church sat inside looking after it so next time I'm up there I'll ask them about the story behind the grave.
Use to be a very busy village before people went on cheap trips abroad. Coaches would stop off every day through the summer, there were stalls to buy trinkets and souvenirs and I can remember three cafes or restaurant one especially over looking the sea called Haggaths
claytonx is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..