Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 18-06-2007, 11:11   #1
I am Banned

Question Stupid HYndburn Homes

Really been left in a state of puzzlement, my OH moved in friday & upon ringing Hyndburn Homes about adding him to my tennacy & rent account - apparently its not as simple as filling form or going down to them. The choice ive been told is that i :-

a] in order to add him to the tenancy is that i MUST cancel my tenancy agreement & reapply to the council for a new one with him added BUT will lose all my tenancy years accounted for the right to buy But instead will only have right to aquire

OR

b] keep it as it is now but put a letter in writing to say he's living with me & will be paying the rent but hey i keep my tenancy years account to the right to buy.

Now i ask you is that a stupid way of dealing with it? Cos if i give up my tenancy & re-apply - will that put us in a position of losing our home/rights in property & yet if i keep things as they are then my OH has no rights, nevermind the fact they arn't arsed who pays my rent, but the confusion this will cause getting rent paid thro his DD, also if such as life he loses his job etc how will that effect his or mine entitlements & again utter confusion of 2 names but one name on tenancy/rent

Now i have been thro rented accom of both council & HA, & never known such a daft rule, u used to be able to add or take off names of tenancy by filling a change of circumstances/tenancy form, now as they have told me that as they have become HH that its now changed!

Was told to think about it then let them know BUT we havent a clue what to do for the best for now & future???? Anyone have any advice??

Last edited by accymel; 18-06-2007 at 11:15.
accymel is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 18-06-2007, 11:19   #2
Senior Member+

Re: Stupid HYndburn Homes

Sorry mel ive no advice but i just think the whole thing is a bit daft what a way to work! Its like you said whats wrong with just adding a name to the account you share the house why not the tennancy!
Old 18-06-2007, 11:23   #3
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMMIBOO View Post
Sorry mel ive no advice but i just think the whole thing is a bit daft what a way to work! Its like you said whats wrong with just adding a name to the account you share the house why not the tennancy!
Cheers, Glad i isnt only me that thinks its daft + the extra paper work & confusion at both ends, they couldnt even justify why that is the case other that since its become HH - thats the rules
Old 18-06-2007, 11:24   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

well ive heard it all now,crazy,incompetant,useless,spring to mind.
Old 18-06-2007, 11:26   #5
I am Banned

LOL thing is they weren't much helpful than that for explaining anything either which is making it harder for us to know what to do as in the pro's & cons - tho i would of thought they would of preferred him to be on tenancy as now living & paying here
Old 18-06-2007, 11:28   #6
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by accymel View Post
LOL thing is they weren't much helpful than that for explaining anything either which is making it harder for us to know what to do as in the pro's & cons - tho i would of thought they would of preferred him to be on tenancy as now living & paying here
mind you mel have you asked if this only applies to dingles?
Old 18-06-2007, 11:33   #7
God Member

Hiya, housing lady here again

It isn't a Hyndburn Homes rules its a housing corp/govt rule as far as making it single to jt tenancy!! But its debateble about losing your right to buy as you will have had successive tenancies with no break!!

However, Your OH doesn't have to be on the tenancy agreement and if worse came to worse and he lost his job you would make the claim for housing benefit with him down as your partner...so it's not an issue him not being on the tenancy agreement

Also a point being if you do want to apply to buy OH only has to be living with you for 12 months (even though not on tenancy) to make a joint application to buy your current home

Hope that helps..

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 11:39   #8
I am Banned

Oh cheers Harwood Red, can u not work For HH so least my head aint mashed

The way HH put it was that [as joint we would lose right to buy but right to aquire whatever that is lol] plus dont trust HH one bit atm lol.

So what do u think in point of view of professional housing officer which would be the best - go joint now or leave it as it is???
Old 18-06-2007, 11:42   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
mind you mel have you asked if this only applies to dingles?
Perhaps it's confused them because I've asked to live in the house instead of the outside shed
Old 18-06-2007, 11:44   #10
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Perhaps it's confused them because I've asked to live in the house instead of the outside shed
so thats why the shed has been sorted out then - just in case they look into it
Old 18-06-2007, 11:51   #11
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

i may be as cynical owd git, but sadly honesty is NOT always the best policy.good luck.
Old 18-06-2007, 12:12   #12
Resident Waffler

I think I understand what they're trying to mean but I don't see why you have to lose all your years of tenancy. I can see that they can't grant Dave the same but when it comes to right to buy then yours should still apply surely. Did they explain the difference between 'buy' and 'aquire'??

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 12:16   #13
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
I think I understand what they're trying to mean but I don't see why you have to lose all your years of tenancy. I can see that they can't grant Dave the same but when it comes to right to buy then yours should still apply surely. Did they explain the difference between 'buy' and 'aquire'??
Nope they didnt hence asked on here lol, they said that if i put Dave on tenancy then as it WILL have to be a new application then i will lose my years of right to buy which i think is pathetic that i should be penalised for putting him on tenancy. It doesn't seem right to me
Old 18-06-2007, 12:18   #14
Resident Waffler

It doesn't seem right to me either.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2007, 17:58   #15
God Member

Right as promised by text earlier and after speaking to legal bod at our place to make sure I am right....

With us (twin valley homes) you can do whats called a deed of assignment..where you assign part of your tenancy rights over to Dave...(hence making it a joint tenancy) but still keep your preserved rights also...the problem is the landlord does not have to accept any assignments and that may well be the case with HH...Best way to check is to read through the tenancy agreement again and see if there is anything about assignments.

If it says they will look at assignments...then the housing act 1988 says that they cannot take away your preserved rights which includes the right to buy

The difference between right to buy & right to acquire is:

right to buy = discounts based on length of time being a tenant (can be quite big discounts too, between £16k & 38k)

right to acquire = can apply only after beig tenant for 5 years and it's fixed discount (between £9k and 16k) regardless of how long been tenant

Hope that helps..if not ...next question???

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..