Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-04-2007, 20:43   #1

Tarmac

I am looking to get my drive tarmac-ed and wondered if anyone knew a company / someone that can do it cheaply for me. Been advised to stay clear of the cowboys that come knocking on your door as they only put a thin layor on which cracks after one winter. The neighbours have said to use someone with a guarantee, but realise this will cost more. Any advice please is appreciated. Thanks x
Kisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-04-2007, 20:54   #2
God Member

Re: Tarmac

Not thought of block paving? looks nicer than tarmac but thats my opinion

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 20:55   #3

Depends on cost - which is cheaper?!
Old 19-04-2007, 20:58   #4
God Member

Dunno lol
But think about long term, the block paving shouldn't need doing again, tarmac doesn't last forever and sags when driven on

www.ubuntu.com

K.S.H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2007, 21:00   #5

Ok thanks KSH. So if anyone knows of a tarmacer or block paver that can come and do the job good, guaranteed and cheap??
Old 21-04-2007, 09:40   #6
Senior Member+

dont get tarmac...its every where...why not go for the driveway imprints that you can now get...they lay the concrete and then they put whichever pattern down you like on top of it...plus its not as expensive..I think it looks far better than the black tarmac and as already stated you do get a lot of cowboys doing it...check the papers for driveway guys...
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 19:34   #7
Senior Member+

Well my drive is tarmaced and looks perfectly good! I think it looks modern and if done right without any problems it last for a long time. However i think block paving doesnt look modern but i have nothing against it. Its what ever takes your fancy really.

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2007, 19:54   #8

Have You Try The Phone Book They Must Be Some one In There to Help you Do That Sort Of Job
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 13:46   #9

Yes Mallard - I just wanted to go off a recommendation rather than a random person in the book. Turns out I can't get it tarmaced as I thought anyway - would need the concrete on top ripping off before it can get tarmaced, and that is time consuming and expensive!!
Old 22-04-2007, 14:20   #10
Senior Member+

ahhh yes very time consuming. I cant think of many people. And i wouldnt go from the phonebook im always watching them programmes on tv where people do a crap job or you give them money and they dont do it.

fc:stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2007, 22:48   #11
Accy Red

Cricket Challenge Champion!

I think you should pop over and see those guys near Whinney Hill, those friendly honest people who like caravaning. I'm sure they can do a excellent job and do it very cheap with a 50 year guarantee, not that you will need it the job will be done so professionally that you will be telling all your friends.

"At a football club, there's a holy trinity - the players, the manager and the supporters. Directors don't come into it. They're only there to sign cheques." - Bill Shankly
Bagpuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 07:30   #12
God Member

I persoanlly think teh imprinted concrete looks 'false'. It seems to look far too shiny and people tend to choose obscure colours that don't fit with the house etc.

We had ours done in Indian Stone which looks nice, lasts well and is reasonably priced. I can recommend David Cornthwaite but as with all good builders hes very busy, it all depends on how long you can wait. I'll PM you his number and if you want to look at his work drop me a PM and I'll send you my address so you can have a look at his work.

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 19:08   #13
Senior Member+

you are right in a sense as some of the cheaper works regarding imprinted drives do look false and shiny but if done right it does look quite good....and the indian stone is pretty good I have to say as I done my back garden in it..got it from that stone place in colne..always gets spoke about when people come round in the summer so entwisi I salute your taste in stone!
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2007, 22:23   #14
God Member

why thank you kind sir!

We did teh drive, the back garden and in front of teh house with it and then topped teh garden walls in thin strips. We liek it anyway

Technical God, No 1 Geek And Linux Guru

Have you seen my Flickr pictures?

entwisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2007, 07:53   #15

Cheers Entwisi, not sure what to do as like I say the old drive needs ripping up first apparently - which just sounds like hard work and expensive! I thought the new drive could just be put over the top of it. Hmmmm. The neighbours have said not to waste my money and the drive isnt in bad nick. I'm just having a bit of an over-haul at the house and a new drive woulda finished it off.

If you could please PM me the number anyway and I will have a think. Thank you xx

« Dr Who | Banned »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..