Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By Less

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2014, 15:43   #1
Fra

taxi question

This question is out of pure curiosity. I've noticed that some taxis have black ribbons tied to the tow ring area. Any idea why? Different companies in different towns have them but only on a few cars.
Fra is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-05-2014, 16:17   #2
Senior Member+

Re: taxi question

I heard its to let other (taxi) drivers know that their up for schemes such as "crash for cash" etc.
I know we use to tie a hi-vis vest to the end of the ladders on the roof rack in a bid to make other road user's aware of the overhanging hazard.

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2014, 16:48   #3
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Nothing new under the sun, or on AccyWeb!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 21:13   #4

Probably some old Karachi custom.lol.
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 02:20   #5
Senior Member+

weve had this one before.... please search before making threads....etc

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...rue-59426.html
Old 04-05-2014, 06:21   #6
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
weve had this one before.... please search before making threads....etc

http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/f...rue-59426.html
Would it be naughty to suggest reading the whole thread before suggesting someone searches the whole site?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
Nothing new under the sun, or on AccyWeb!

Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 09:54   #7
Fra

Thanks for the link. Some of those things I've heard before. Such is my curiosity that one one occasion I rang the switchboard of a company who's taxi displayed this and they denied knowing what I was talking about. I have asked taxi drivers too (non of who'm displayed the ribbons) and got the same response. When I get the chance to speak to a driver with the ribbons on display I'll ask. On one occasion I've seen a caucasian taxi driver with the ribbons. I wouldn't like to believe that something so publicly displayed can have an illegitimate purpose, but it remains a mystery.
Old 04-05-2014, 22:23   #8
God Member

i thought cloth was attatched to tailpipes on cars so you can wipe it before topping yourself using exhaust fumes

wouldnt want to pick up owt that coudl make you ill

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 22:48   #9
Junior Member+

taxi question

Hi all

The peice of black cloth on the back of not only taxis but also regular muslim citizens cars is actually supersticious to protect their journey in that vehicle from an evil eye so sorry to dissapoint them with their conspiracy theories .
Kamiiboii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2014, 15:35   #10
Fra

Hi. Thanks for the reply. Spoiling conspiracy theories is what I want. The warding off explanation has previously been mentioned. Just wanted to hear from someone in a position to verify and not theories. Again, solely to satisfy curiosity!
Old 15-05-2014, 20:47   #11
Senior Member+

Q. Where are you, Fra?
A. Fra Woodnook.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..