Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2013, 16:21   #16
Senior Member+

Re: Telephone extension

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
If I don't answer my son thinks I'm dead
Put your own message on-' I'm not dead yet but I don't run! I'll ring you back'.
If you don't ring him back within two weeks he'll guess there's a problem
MargaretR and dotti34 like this.

Last edited by Gordon Booth; 24-12-2013 at 16:23.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-12-2013, 17:01   #17
Beacon of light

I don't get the telegraph anymore, but there was nearly always an advert in there for a man who was an ex Bt engineer who did fit extra sockets.
Will check in the Citizen next time I am in Asda.
MargaretR likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 17:04   #18
Beacon of light

Think this is the one Margaret.
Blackburn telephone Engineer, all charges a Fraction of your SP & NO VAT, Ex BT.

might be worth checking him out after the festive break.
MargaretR likes this.
Old 24-12-2013, 17:08   #19
Beacon of light

My Mum has been talking about having an extension put upstairs.......for the same reasons that you need an extension....and I cut the number out of the paper.
I have just rung her to see if she still had the information...and she gave me that number....i had googled and came up with it too.
Before you ask...no, Ma hasn't got around to having an extension fitted yet.
Old 24-12-2013, 17:26   #20
Senior Member+

Go cordless,we did easiest option
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 17:34   #21
Beacon of light

Frank, Margaret doesn't want a cordless phone because of the EMF it is thought to create.
A wired phone is safer for my mum because they still work when the electricity goes off......which is quite frequently.
She won't entertain a cordless or a mobile phone either.
A matter of choice.
Old 24-12-2013, 18:01   #22
Senior Member+

Your right Margaret,you are the sensible one who thinks first. I forgot about power cuts and cordless phones going off. We keep a corded one just in case.
Old 24-12-2013, 18:03   #23
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
My life would be much easier if I had a bedside telephone extension. In this spacious flat it is a long walk from the bedroom to the phone in the lounge, and I sometimes don't make it there in time to answer. I do have several daytime naps.

I used to use a radio phone a few years ago, but reverted back to a corded phone when I learned how much radiation radio phones emit. So don't bother suggesting that as a solution.

I have phoned BT who have said that they would charge £200+, but they do not object to DIY jobs using extension kits. Such DIY was within my capabilities at one time but now it is beyond me, especialy since the BT main socket is behind heavy furniture.

Do you know of any local tradesmen who could do the job?
Is yours a new flat? My son has moved into a house on Riverside view and he has phone sockets in every room
Old 24-12-2013, 19:10   #24
God Member

Thanks Margaret - just the ticket

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Is yours a new flat? My son has moved into a house on Riverside view and he has phone sockets in every room
This estate was built about 6/7 years ago. The flat has 4 TV ariel sockets (every room except bathrooms) but only one telephone socket. I was very poorly on flitting day so the removal men put things in place without much direction. I have recently got my son to look behind the wardrobes where there might have been one -but sadly - none there

TV ariel sockets are similar to what oldstyle phone sockets looked like - so are you sure they are phone sockets?

Last edited by MargaretR; 24-12-2013 at 19:20.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 19:49   #25
Senior Member+

My place is three years old and has dual telephone sockets in all rooms apart from the kitchen. One hole is for the telephone and the other on the same backplate is a broadband connection and they have filters built in.
The phones are wireless anyway because I don't care about the radiation, what little if any there is.
I always stand well clear of the microwave when opening the door to let the radiation pour out first, I suppose it just drifts away on the floor.

I still have a corded phone just in case of a power cut and I always have my mobile which I can charge in the car if all else fails.
Less likes this.
Old 24-12-2013, 19:57   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
The phones are wireless anyway because I don't care about the radiation, what little if any there is.
Read this and think again
Cordless phones: the unspoken DECT hazard at home and at work from the national research-based TETRA Airwave safety campaign

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 20:07   #27
Senior Member+

I did read it Margaret and below is a copy of the last part translated from German.

With DECT phones, the SAR for the head below 0.1 W / kg. The recommended exposure limit of 2.0 W / kg is thus undercut by a multiple. According to the state of science at national and international level, although there is evidence of biological effects, but no evidence that high-frequency electromagnetic fields - the basis of the operation of DECT phones - cause health damage. This applies provided that the limits are adhered to. Also a special hazard to pulsed signals, which is repeatedly cited, could not be demonstrated so far on a scientific basis.

IRMC.
Old 24-12-2013, 21:09   #28
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
I`m a bit behind the times, i`ve not had broadband through the phone line for a few years. The new ones have built in filter?
It's the old and new ones that do. The original BT broadband was installed by BT. They replaced the original master socket front with an ADSL one. Then wires only broadband with nasty microfilters came along so you could install it yourself. More recently BT have realised their error and reverted to the original adsl master socket. It has a phone and ADSL socket on it.

They can be bought for about £10 from CPC. Wiring an extension is simple and if a retired BT man can't do it he can't have been very good. Only 3 wires to parallel on each socket 2, 3 and 5 and simple drawings are all over the net.
Less and gpick24 like this.
Old 24-12-2013, 21:24   #29
Senior Member+

Last time I had adsl was a few years ago and needed a filter for each phone (still have same set up at work), had optic fibre at home since moving in 3 years ago so no need for any filters.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 21:42   #30
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I always stand well clear of the microwave when opening the door to let the radiation pour out first, I suppose it just drifts away on the floor.
I love the idea, though I suspect that if you use your microwave a great deal it might be worthwhile opening the back door to allow the radiation to disperse to the outside otherwise it might all pile up on itself and flood your kitchen.
dotti34, maxthecollie and Stevie R like this.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..