Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2013, 22:22   #31
Senior Member+

Re: Telephone extension

I have just had another thought.
There is a wall mounted extractor fan over the cooker opposite the nasty evil radiation spilling microwave.
Do you think that if I switched it on before I open the microwave door it would suck the offending radiation out onto neighbours garden, then if his plants start to roots upwards and petals down it will prove the point about radiation?
dotti34, maxthecollie and Stevie R like this.
Old 24-12-2013, 22:45   #32
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
There is a wall mounted extractor fan over the cooker opposite the nasty evil radiation spilling microwave.
Do you think that if I switched it on before I open the microwave door it would suck the offending radiation out onto neighbours garden, then if his plants start to roots upwards and petals down it will prove the point about radiation?
Don`t know, but if the incredible hulk as taught us anything, radiation isn`t all bad.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 23:20   #33
God Member

In the past few years three people I knew of my generation have died from brain tumours. I don't recall that being a cause of death ever mentioned in the time before we were bombarded by/with gadgets that emit it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=E_WJ_aJPWIA#

Last edited by MargaretR; 24-12-2013 at 23:28.
MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2013, 00:05   #34
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Last time I had adsl was a few years ago and needed a filter for each phone (still have same set up at work), had optic fibre at home since moving in 3 years ago so no need for any filters.
You don't have fibre optic at home, no one does. Fibre ends at the street cabinet and you have wires from there to your house. Sounds like you are on Virgin cable.

With the ADSL master socket no other micro filters are needed.
Old 25-12-2013, 08:32   #35
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Thanks Margaret - just the ticket

This estate was built about 6/7 years ago. The flat has 4 TV ariel sockets (every room except bathrooms) but only one telephone socket. I was very poorly on flitting day so the removal men put things in place without much direction. I have recently got my son to look behind the wardrobes where there might have been one -but sadly - none there

TV ariel sockets are similar to what oldstyle phone sockets looked like - so are you sure they are phone sockets?
yes he has tried them
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2013, 21:42   #36

Some DIY phone extension cables are not recommended for broadband internet service. It is usually possible, even in large properties, to save cable length by drilling through internal - and sometimes external - walls. I hope that this serves as good advice.
Graham Hartley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:15   #37
Full Member+

Neatest way is to wire directly into the master socket and fit a second master socket where the extension is required, that way broadband works from either socket.

Surely someone local could wire that up in exchange for a few sheckles and a cup of tea.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 14:47   #38
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
Neatest way is to wire directly into the master socket and fit a second master socket where the extension is required, that way broadband works from either socket.

Surely someone local could wire that up in exchange for a few sheckles and a cup of tea.
You only have one master socket on the circuit.
Old 06-01-2014, 19:01   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I recall from elementary education that there is a difference between radiation and forced convection, if I read your account correctly. The microwave radiation appears because, very roughly, electrons resonate in a cavity - and this radiation can more 'easily' travel to your neighbour's garden if you disable the door switch. The less rough description cannot be given in terms with which most folk are familiar. It's quantum-mechanical, though no less fun for that reason.
Old 06-01-2014, 19:12   #40

By dint of reading her original post, I consider that this lady needs only a cable suitable for low-frequency phone use, so nix to my and others' broadband gabble.
Old 06-01-2014, 19:19   #41
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hartley View Post
I recall from elementary education that there is a difference between radiation and forced convection, if I read your account correctly. The microwave radiation appears because, very roughly, electrons resonate in a cavity - and this radiation can more 'easily' travel to your neighbour's garden if you disable the door switch. The less rough description cannot be given in terms with which most folk are familiar. It's quantum-mechanical, though no less fun for that reason.
That must have been one heck of a primary school you went to, Graham Hartley.

I don't think we learned much about microwave radiation and quantum mechanics even at AGS!
dotti34 and maxthecollie like this.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 19:28   #42
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Hartley View Post
if you disable the door switch.
I once had to turn up to a Restaurant to repair a microwave, the Chef in his wisdom had taken his carving knife to the door catch (not the switch) and had resorted to putting a brick in front of the door to keep it shut.

This was a large expensive catering machine, all singing and dancing state of the art expensive!

He claimed he had done it to try to stop it beeping when it finished cooking because it could be heard in the dining area, he didn't want his customers to hear him defrosting the ready meals he was serving up.

His stupidity as well as being dangerous did not of course stop the beep, it did cost his bosses the price of a new machine, because although when we finished repairing any machine we used all the correct equipment and tests to ensure the safety of any microwave oven, we weren't prepared to say that machine would ever be safe again.

Microwave ovens are perfectly safe if maintained and checked correctly by qualified personnel, anyone removing a door switch is a fool.
dotti34 and maxthecollie like this.

Last edited by Less; 06-01-2014 at 19:32.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 19:39   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
That must have been one heck of a primary school you went to, Graham Hartley.

I don't think we learned much about microwave radiation and quantum mechanics even at AGS!
At Mount Pleasant in Clayton-le-Moors, Mrs Pickering and Mrs Haydock would often assist us with essays by giving the first line - usually 'Last night I went to bed and thought...' which was of course a gift to me. Before that sentence had ended I had mentioned the Texas transistor, now all power MOSFETS - Metal Oxide Silicon Field Effect Transistors (if I may capitalise) but then low-power p-channel hardware with a map of Texas printed on each one. There arose my fondness for Geography, and my award of full marks from Ma Waring for my 3X essay on Iceland. I venture to mention Jean Scull and Harry Foulds, who would often open a lesson by inviting questions. A few of us gave them them runs, but rarely pauses.
Old 06-01-2014, 19:46   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
I once had to turn up to a Restaurant to repair a microwave, the Chef in his wisdom had taken his carving knife to the door catch (not the switch) and had resorted to putting a brick in front of the door to keep it shut.

This was a large expensive catering machine, all singing and dancing state of the art expensive!

He claimed he had done it to try to stop it beeping when it finished cooking because it could be heard in the dining area, he didn't want his customers to hear him defrosting the ready meals he was serving up.

His stupidity as well as being dangerous did not of course stop the beep, it did cost his bosses the price of a new machine, because although when we finished repairing any machine we used all the correct equipment and tests to ensure the safety of any microwave oven, we weren't prepared to say that machine would ever be safe again.

Microwave ovens are perfectly safe if maintained and checked correctly by qualified personnel, anyone removing a door switch is a fool.
An open microwave cavity is such an adventure! Even if it kills - and it rarely does that to humans even of the most stupid variety - for evidence, I am yet alive - it is a sacrifice worth making.
Old 06-01-2014, 19:49   #45

Are we not at risk of judgement that we are no longer helping this woman with her telephone extension, and so can be pot-shot banned?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..