Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 24-12-2013, 12:50   #1
God Member

Telephone extension

My life would be much easier if I had a bedside telephone extension. In this spacious flat it is a long walk from the bedroom to the phone in the lounge, and I sometimes don't make it there in time to answer. I do have several daytime naps.

I used to use a radio phone a few years ago, but reverted back to a corded phone when I learned how much radiation radio phones emit. So don't bother suggesting that as a solution.

I have phoned BT who have said that they would charge £200+, but they do not object to DIY jobs using extension kits. Such DIY was within my capabilities at one time but now it is beyond me, especialy since the BT main socket is behind heavy furniture.

Do you know of any local tradesmen who could do the job?

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 24-12-2013, 13:26   #2
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Re: Telephone extension

No, most tradesmen are frightened of dying from blood poisoning from hitting their thumb tacking your cables than any minute mild dose of radiation they may get from the airways.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 14:36   #3
Senior Member+

I've just approached a mate of mine for you, Margaret. he is a retired GPO phone man but turned the job down because wiring has changed since his day.
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 15:05   #4
God Member

I am sure that a conventional telephone cable would be adequate - I wont be operating a PC at the extension.

It looks as though I will need a recently retired BT engineer who needs a bit of cash. Having a decent 'works pension' means that such persons will be as rare as rocking horse doodoo.

Last edited by MargaretR; 24-12-2013 at 15:11.
Old 24-12-2013, 15:14   #5
Senior Member+

Margaret, you can buy a small double socket which plugs into your lounge socket so you can plug in the lounge phone and run an extension round the carpets or wall to the bedroom. You can buy very long extensions(I have a spare one but we're too far away) and if you don't want to pin it use little strips of Blutack to stick it on the bottom of the skirting board.
No re-connecting or re- wiring needed, your son could do it if he's handy.
Gordon Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 15:15   #6
Beacon of light

Gordon, I was just about to suggest that.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 15:18   #7
Senior Member+

Just in addition to Gordons suggestion, if you get broadband through your telephone line you`ll also need a filter for the second phone.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 15:31   #8
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpick24 View Post
Just in addition to Gordons suggestion, if you get broadband through your telephone line you`ll also need a filter for the second phone.
not with the new bt main socket
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 15:34   #9
Senior Member+

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
Good point. Margaret's in a new apartment so may have the latest main socket. If she hasn't she'll already be having to use a filter so just needs another one.
Old 24-12-2013, 15:37   #10
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxthecollie View Post
I`m a bit behind the times, i`ve not had broadband through the phone line for a few years. The new ones have built in filter?
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 15:39   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
Margaret, you can buy a small double socket which plugs into your lounge socket so you can plug in the lounge phone and run an extension round the carpets or wall to the bedroom. You can buy very long extensions(I have a spare one but we're too far away) and if you don't want to pin it use little strips of Blutack to stick it on the bottom of the skirting board.
No re-connecting or re- wiring needed, your son could do it if he's handy.
Because of the layout of the rooms I will need a lot more cable that such an extension would provide.
It would have to be routed along three walls in the lounge - needing about 38' - then it will travel the length of a long hallway going 'up and over' 3 door frames, before entering the bedroom where a further 26' would be needed to reach the bedside.

I told you this flat was big - I should have said 'palatial'
When I found it on the web these were the photos in the agents ad.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 83132_532063B_IMG_03_0000.JPG (79.4 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 83132_532063B_IMG_05_0000_max_135x100.JPG (2.1 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg 83132_532063B_IMG_04_0000.JPG (62.7 KB, 30 views)

Old 24-12-2013, 15:59   #12
God Member

These are the other agents ad photos (since I know I would want to see them too)

Two bathrooms!, the long hallway includes a large built-in storage cupboard.
I can't lay cable under carpet - it is glued down (office style)
The kitchen is 'open plan' of sorts - behind the wall where the TV is in these photos.
The main bedroom is bigger than the lounge and has two windows and an en-suite

Last edited by MargaretR; 24-12-2013 at 16:06.
Old 24-12-2013, 16:00   #13
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post

I told you this flat was big
That's certainly big, Margaret. I can see why you can't get from bedroom to lounge before it stops ringing!
If you don't fancy a cordless how about plugging an answerphone in? If it's important they'll leave a message.
Old 24-12-2013, 16:04   #14
Senior Member+

Quote:
I`m a bit behind the times, i`ve not had broadband through the phone line for a few years. The new ones have built in filter?
yeh my bt one has
gpick24 likes this.
maxthecollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2013, 16:13   #15
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Booth View Post
That's certainly big, Margaret. I can see why you can't get from bedroom to lounge before it stops ringing!
If you don't fancy a cordless how about plugging an answerphone in? If it's important they'll leave a message.
If I don't answer my son thinks I'm dead

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..