Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-10-2007, 21:38   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

That Cat!

So she and I, (that cat!), have existed together for about four months, besides the fact that she is eating me out of house and home and growing by the minute, I must confess that by now I would have thought she would have settled down.

O.K. there are times when she will sit or lie next to me, purring away most contentedly,but, there are times like tonight when she will decide that after starting with just a touch of affection she gets the claws out, my left hand is now covered in open wounds, so far I have resisted what the pain has inclined me towards, (giving her a bloody good clout), hoping she will settle down but no, she ain't doing that, have I got a wild cat?

Until now I've always had dogs and by now I would have had the hound under control, this beast I don't understand, but I am getting fed up losing blood to it!

Do I find it a more tolerant owner or is there some way of taming the little begger?

P.S. don't advise me patience, I'm fed up with the scars I keep getting from her 'friendly' swipe across my nose.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-10-2007, 21:53   #2

Re: That Cat!

get your cat a scratch post and let the cat go out side and it will carm down give it a try
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2007, 21:56   #3
Senior Member+

Get cat a friend (no you cant class my dad as her friend!) we have 2 kittys twins so they are the same age and if they have any fighting to do they do it with each other! and they play together and they dont get lonely when they are on their own! see Less solution.
Old 15-10-2007, 21:59   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by mallard View Post
get your cat a scratch post and let the cat go out side and it will carm down give it a try
It goes outside, everything in the house is a scratch post, but it prefers to see my blood, I have been very tolerant but it just seems wild.

House trained, it is always spot on hygiene-wise but, well, actually it's VICIOUS!

Old 15-10-2007, 22:05   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUMMIBOO View Post
Get cat a friend (no you cant class my dad as her friend!) we have 2 kittys twins so they are the same age and if they have any fighting to do they do it with each other! and they play together and they dont get lonely when they are on their own! see Less solution.
Bog off! so as well as my left hand covered in blood you want my right hand in a similar fashion?

Look let's face it I got the cat for company not to go in the ring at Chipperfields Circus! I'm not a professional trainer I wanted a pet.

No wonder sacks are scarce around here they are full of cat's learning to swim in the cut!

(For all cat lovers please be aware that was an attempt at a joke).
Old 15-10-2007, 22:25   #6

Look to be honest, I'm here in the front room and the cat is in the kitchen, not because I hate the little devil but because when we are in the same room it usually attacks, I've put up with it until now but I'm getting fed up with the violent attacks, I may as well be married again!
Old 15-10-2007, 22:54   #7
God Member

Has she got any toys? Not really a cat person myself so that is the best I can suggest.
Old 15-10-2007, 22:59   #8

Well, after being on it's own for a short while, it has calmed down, I went through to the kitchen and was greeted like a long lost friend, Purr, purr, rub against the leg, etc. (and the cat did the same back), back in here and she's led across my feet as if I'm something wonderful, but I know as soon as I move she will attack, I want her to be a friend, but how do I tame the beast?
Old 15-10-2007, 23:04   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Has she got any toys? Not really a cat person myself so that is the best I can suggest.
I am tripping over toy's not only did I buy some but Mick turned up with a sack full that his cat doesn't use.

(every time I go shopping I bring it something back, it's the fact that I'm a softy I'm putting up with such an ungrateful wild beast, you should know what I mean you've got Ianto!).
Old 15-10-2007, 23:07   #10
God Member

Oh well just a thought
Old 16-10-2007, 08:31   #11
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

They say lead between the ears quietens them down (another attempt at a joke)
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 10:34   #12
Senior Member+

I've had my ginger tom cat from about 4 weeks old (he's 8and 1/2 now) and he was a right ****** from the very start, I still have a couple of scars on my arms and one on my leg from him climbing it like a drain pipe!!! He did eventually grow out of it but in the interim its annoying and painful.

However there are a few things you can try disciplin wise, firstly most cats are largely averse to water and a quick squirt from a water pistol can act as a real discouragement, however its not always practical.

Also the other thing you can try is something the mother cat would do, firstly try a tap (and only a tap, like the flat of a cats paw) to the top of the head between the ears, (don't leave your hand there as it may become a target!!!) if this doen't work the mother cat would then nip the ear with her teeth (finger nails work just as well!!!). Please don't think I'm cruel for suggesting this as it was suggested to me by the vet.

Other than that, shutting them in another room can work as punishment, as long as there are no toys to play with in there, cats are social pack animals and don't like being isolated.

If none of the above works, get your cat stoned on catnip drops!!!
sparkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 13:07   #13
Beacon of light

Less, she is still only a kitten and equates movement with prey......this is a primitive instinct....one that would ensure she had food to eat.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 13:10   #14
God Member

Stroking that space between the ears (forehead) has a calming effect - have been told that lions and tigers can be calmed this way (never tried it )

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2007, 13:14   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Stroking that space between the ears (forehead) has a calming effect - have been told that lions and tigers can be calmed this way (never tried it )
Thanks Margaret, I've just tried stroking my forehead, yes it does have a calming effect until the cat thinks it's a new game and comes in for the kill!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..