Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 15-07-2013, 01:04   #1

The "Lodge" on Blackburn Rd, Church

When I was growing up in "Church" in the late 40's early 50's there was a "Lodge" almost opposite Henry St, it was behind a wall on Blackbuirn Rd and stretched from basically opposite Henry St to opposite "The Queens Hall".

I was looking at a map of the area the other day, as is ones want, and noticed that "The Lodge" and had apparentl disappeared and replaced by houses eg Knotwood Court" etc, can anyone let me know when this happed.
keith higson is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 15-07-2013, 04:15   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: The "Lodge" on Blackburn Rd, Church

within the last few years I think they are just finishing off building the last couple of houses on there.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 07:06   #3
Senior Member+

The lodge was filled in years ago though, I remember swimming in there in mid/late eighties but it was filled in not long after that.
Once filled in, I think they have to leave it a long time before they can build on it.
gpick24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 09:34   #4
Senior Member+

Between this lodge and the Grammar school there have been many changes along Blackburn Rd. No Sacred Heart church, lots of houses and whole streets gone. An enormous health centre between Lonsdale and Leyland Streets. There's a mini-roundabout at the spot between the end of the lodge and the block of houses/shops before turning into Market St
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2013, 09:39   #5
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Raistricks Foundry was next to the lodge, worked yon fer awhile in 60s, Thats also long gone.
Old 15-07-2013, 10:02   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Raistricks Foundry was next to the lodge, worked yon fer awhile in 60s, Thats also long gone.
Are houses built on Antley Fields?
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 13:36   #7

The lodge that you ask about Keith and another on the opposite side of the railway, used to belong to Steiners printworks I believe, I used to fish the one
that you mention in the early 1970s when Accrington and District fishing club used to stock it with Rainbow Trout.
taddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 15:07   #8
Senior Member+

Much of the land around the Church boundary there was owned by Steiners, who bought it off the Peels I think. Some of the street names, probably chosen by one or the other, are puzzling me as to the reason for their use
Bob Dobson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2014, 16:37   #9

All gone over the last few years I am afraid all new houses now.
jack preston is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..