Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 20-10-2014, 21:19   #16
I am Banned

Re: Three Point Turns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
4am is the time for handbrake turns, surely?
Get with the times Studio25........

Doughnuts
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 21-10-2014, 06:23   #17
Full Member+

I was taught observation and anticipation, anticipate what other drivers are likely to do and expect the unexpected, that is not passive driving that is defensive driving. If someone is sat in a car, checking the traffic in both directions, it is likely they want to pull out. If I am in a position to let them out I will.
The alternative is to hare up to them, rely on ABS to stop inches from their bumper and then pretend that you are in full control of the vehicle.
Michael1954 likes this.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 06:46   #18

It's aggressive drivers who are more likely to get involved in road rage.

Last edited by Michael1954; 21-10-2014 at 06:50.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 09:06   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael1954 View Post
You're the one who's screeching around Great Harwood!
Not me, guv. If I tried a handbrake turn in my car, I'd end up on my roof.

I've only ever done one such turn when not in a rally car. About 20 years ago I nipped out to the supermarket for some beer with my sister's boyfriend. I asked him about the bloke he'd brought to the houseboat for a meal.
"He's from work." (work was a bail hostel kitchen)
"Why am I cooking for a cook?"
"No, he's a 'client' not staff."
"Oh, what's he in for?"
"Alleged rape."
"You left a rapist alone in my home with my wife and my sister?"
Before he could repeat "alleged" we were heading back the way we came. I think I might have broken the speed limit too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DtheP47 View Post
Get with the times Studio25........

Doughnuts
Now you're talking my language. I do plenty of those. Usually plain, with a brew.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 11:56   #20
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
......If someone is sat in a car, checking the traffic in both directions, it is likely they want to pull out. If I am in a position to let them out I will.....
How do you let someone know that you are prepared to let them pull out?
Studio25 likes this.
Old 21-10-2014, 12:01   #21

Quote:
I was taught observation and anticipation
Good start...

Quote:
...that is not passive driving that is defensive driving.
I think we might be talking at cross-purposes here. I have no problem with allowing other drivers out of parking spaces or side roads if I'm in slow moving traffic. I've no problem with anticipating someone else's need to (say) change lanes and adjust my speed accordingly (either speed up so they can slot in behind me or slow down if it's not going to compromise my two second gap or generate a risk from the car behind me). I only really slow down to give up my right of way for lorries and school buses, though. Lorries because their need to maintain momentum is far more than mine, and school buses because it doesn't matter how evil you were in a former life, there's nothing that justifies being subjected to schoolkids on a bus.

I don't even have a problem with people who make a genuine mistake. It happens - and to me as well.

The specific instance I was talking about was the bully-behind-the-wheel. yanking his car out of his parking space on the wrong side of the road. I resolutely defend my right of way against people who seem to think the rules of the road only apply to other drivers and are there just so they can blast through in any lane at any speed and the other guy is always going to get out of the way.

Yes, you have to drive in such a way that you can stop if (say) a child runs out from between parked cars, but if nobody does anything they are just eventually going to end up as a red stain on somebody's bumper. So, you pip your horn or give them an earful. Much of the time it might help to educate them, some the time you'll just get an obscene sign back. If you don't do it because of the latter group, who unfortunately are no longer a minority, you're being bullied.

Same with the bully driver, although he's safely encased in a metal box, they still have the potential to cause damage to themselves and others. You can do the road rage thing and get out of your car, or you can make their manoeuvre pointless. Which is best? I know your answer already. Someone forces you to brake just so they can get out, you just wave them on. It's not helping.
Big Dave likes this.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 15:55   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
How do you let someone know that you are prepared to let them pull out?
The same question could be asked of you, unless, of course, you never let them pull out.
Old 21-10-2014, 17:30   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I would usually slow down leaving a space for them to pull into. I do not flash my lights at people like so many do
Old 21-10-2014, 17:37   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
I would usually slow down leaving a space for them to pull into. I do not flash my lights at people like so many do
Good answer. If you flash your lights and they pull out and hit another vehicle, it's possible you could be held responsible.
Old 21-10-2014, 17:55   #25
Beacon of light

When I was driving I was taught that even if someone flashed you, it was your responsibility as the driver, to ensure that the action you were about to take was safe.....and never to trust the judgement of another motorist...to make your own judgements.
I would indicate by hand signals to let another driver out in front of me
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 17:55   #26
Senior Member+

Three Point Turns

Flashing lights isn't a sign you are giving up right of way, it's a sign to say "I'm here"
gpick24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2014, 18:04   #27
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

I have heard about people being blamed after flashing lights to let someone out so I don't do it. Many do though and many don't know what to do when you wait for them to pull out but you haven't flashed.

Lets be sensible about it though, if I did flash to say I was letting you out it should still be your responsibility to make sure your movement is safe. The judge who let it go the other way wants sacking!!
Old 21-10-2014, 21:53   #28

This is informative.

Flashing Headlights
Old 22-10-2014, 06:06   #29
Full Member+

Studio25 - I believe we are at cross purposes but if the bully driver forces his way out, I just let him. Not to be passive but to ensure the safety of myself and my passengers. Blocking some hot head is not a sensible move as it will just make them more aggressive and in extreme cases put others in danger. What happens if Mr. Aggressive bumps into you and he is not insured or the car is stolen - much hassle for you.

Leaving a gap and a gentle wave of the arm is enough to indicate you are letting someone out, if the other person doesn't understand the signal, they really shouldn't be driving.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2014, 22:39   #30
Senior Member+

Courtesy costs you nothing.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..