Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-10-2014, 09:47   #1

Three Point Turns

Has anyone else noticed the number of young drivers doing 3 point turns lately, last week there was one doing it in Union Road Ossy, I passed my test in the 60's and I don't think I've done a 3 point turn since. also taxi drivers see to be catching on to it, but then they have their own rules. Whilst I'm on my rant also cars parking facing the wrong way on main roads and then sticking the nose out to make other drivers let them out
does my head in
Gremlin and Alan Varrechia like this.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-10-2014, 11:01   #2

Re: Three Point Turns

My navigation isn't so good, so I have to do many three point turns over the years.
Michael1954 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 12:47   #3
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Dave View Post
Has anyone else noticed the number of young drivers doing 3 point turns lately, last week there was one doing it in Union Road Ossy, I passed my test in the 60's and I don't think I've done a 3 point turn since. also taxi drivers see to be catching on to it, but then they have their own rules. Whilst I'm on my rant also cars parking facing the wrong way on main roads and then sticking the nose out to make other drivers let them out
does my head in
Where my ma lives, you have to be very good at doing three point turns......if you weren't you would never get back down the hill.

I stopped driving twelve years ago, but when I was working, and given my favourite parking spot......you had to be good at three point turns....many folk were not and I reckon that is why that particular place to park was always left vacant.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2014, 14:29   #4

Quote:
Has anyone else noticed the number of young drivers doing 3 point turns lately, last week there was one doing it in Union Road Ossy, I passed my test in the 60's and I don't think I've done a 3 point turn since...
It's not that big a deal, I reckon - it's called the "turn in the road" and ideally should be done in as few points as possible, but whether you use three or more, it's deemed an important enough skill that new drivers are tested on it.

What irritates me about three-point-turns is the number of other drivers or pedestrians who can see what you're doing, but come barrelling right up to you and get in the way, anyway.

And, the number of people who try to use a mini roundabout to return the way they came, then have to reverse because their car doesn't have the turning circle to do it. The mini-roundabout outside my house has signposts on all four corners, so they can't even do it in one move by mounting the pavement (not that that makes it acceptable).

Quote:
...Whilst I'm on my rant also cars parking facing the wrong way on main roads...
If they do that at night, it's illegal. Not that there's anyone who bothers to enforce that particular law.

Quote:
...and then sticking the nose out to make other drivers let them out
It's the ones that lunge halfway out of the space that upset me. I tend to brake late as if I didn't see them, then come to a halt a few inches from their bumper. They aren't going anywhere 'til they reverse back in.

Still, not many people can spare their journey time for a wry little lesson like that.
Big Dave likes this.

Studio25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 08:15   #5
Full Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio25 View Post
It's the ones that lunge halfway out of the space that upset me. I tend to brake late as if I didn't see them, then come to a halt a few inches from their bumper. They aren't going anywhere 'til they reverse back in.
What a fine example of a un-courteous driver.
The world would be a much better place if drivers like you didn't believe they have a divine right to be in front of everyone else.

How do you get out of a parking space?
Barge your way out I would bet.

http://www.studiosoft.co.uk

Family History - Can you help to fill in the gaps? - http://www.hodgkinsonclark.co.uk
Hodgkinson, Clark, Baxter, Gardner, Spilman, Ward, Lofthouse, Fowler, Westwell
Morecambe Ex Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 08:32   #6

You park in a manner that doesn't inconvenience all the other road users
Studio25 likes this.
Big Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 08:41   #7
I am Banned

It's them Chelsea tractor drivers and white van men that park close up to your motor on carparks. So close that it's requires a contortionists skills to get into your car.
That really get's my goat D.
maxthecollie likes this.
DtheP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 10:00   #8

Accidents are caused by two arrogant bone heads meeting up, neither of whom will give way. I was taught to drive in a defensive manner. Too many drivers drive in an aggressive manner. And really: what is the issue of someone doing a three point turn?
Old 20-10-2014, 12:14   #9
Beacon of light

the only issue is that it is done in a safe manner and a safe place.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 13:00   #10
Full Member+

Looking out of the window yesterday morning the first thing I saw was a police car doing a three point turn in front of my house. Taxis also do it regularly too, its a bit odd as the street is quite narrow with a high kerb on one side.
Old 20-10-2014, 15:19   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
Quote:
What a fine example of a un-courteous driver.
The world would be a much better place if drivers like you didn't believe they have a divine right to be in front of everyone else.
I don't believe I have a divine right to be in front of everyone else. I do believe I have a divine right to react to bullies in a way that makes them think before trying it on someone else.

Because so many drivers are passive the way you think they should be, these bullies are all over our roads. You aren't helping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morecambe Ex Pat View Post
How do you get out of a parking space?
Barge your way out I would bet.
Um nope. Big Dave said it already, I don't put myself in that situation.

Old 20-10-2014, 15:49   #12

I don't think 3 point turns or u-turns should be done on a main Rd.
DtheP47 and Big Dave like this.
Alan Varrechia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2014, 19:08   #13
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Varrechia View Post
I don't think 3 point turns or u-turns should be done on a main Rd.
I think it depends on the road and the conditions. At 4pm maybe not but at 4am might be ok.
Old 20-10-2014, 20:32   #14

4am is the time for handbrake turns, surely?
Alan Varrechia likes this.

Old 20-10-2014, 20:36   #15

Quote:
4am is the time for handbrake turns, surely?
You're the one who's screeching around Great Harwood!

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..