Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 31-07-2003, 14:38   #1
Caz
God Member

Post Thyroid Groups

Anyone know of a thyroid self help group in the local area?
I am particularly thinking of hypothyroidism. Any commnication on this subject welcome.

I am not young enough to know everything.
- Oscar Wilde
Caz is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 04-08-2003, 09:25   #2

Post Re: Thyroid Groups

dont think there is one in accy.
had thyroid trouble since 1982 ? how long you?
tommey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2003, 09:34   #3
Caz
God Member

Since 1993
Underactive. Less than 2.5 which is the lowest reading they take.
Don't know how long it took you to get diagnosed, with me it was nearly a year, by which time - well you can imagine. Went to the docs with several complaints, which with hind sight were obviously symptoms of it.
Considering it is such a common complaint with symptoms that should be obvious to a GP, can't understand why it took so long.
Don't know about you, but even with medication, I've never been anywhere near 100% well since.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 05-08-2003, 08:56   #4

GOOD DAYS BADDAYS 150ml a day checked every 6months then went 12months now back to 3, go next month they never get it right. it would be nice to be able to not want to fall asleep at the wrong time and be able to just feel ok
Old 05-08-2003, 09:57   #5
Caz
God Member

Nice to hear from someone who has the same problem.

The tiredness thing is a real problem.

How do you feel in a morning?

I always wake up feeling like I've got a hangover. Takes me ages to come round. Always have to make sure I allow enough time in the morning to become normal, otherwise I have a crap day!

Been to the docs recently, but he says there is no problem at the mo - just down to my age. They have no idea. The age thing actually complicates things.
Thinking of changing to a new one soon. Might get reassessed then.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 05-08-2003, 14:43   #6
Resting in Peace

wont  the Hospital be able to help ???
they should know the support groups in the area ???
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2003, 14:44   #7
Resting in Peace

Or ask your Consultant
Old 05-08-2003, 17:08   #8
Caz
God Member

I don't have a consultant. Was diagnosed 10 years ago by my doctor. I wasn't referred. just started on the meds, (which I now have to take for the rest of my life)
you don't get any sort of follow up checks apart from regular blood tests, and just basically have to get on with it.

They don't give you any info, such as I have since learned from a variety of sources, like certain things food wise are BEST AVOIDED, and complications which arise. most of my info has come from the internet.

At least when you know other people have the same probs, when they are supposedly OK, It's not just you.

It is up to people to find out what they can from where ever and make an intelligent decision.

I know there are groups out there, but haven't found one round here yet.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 05-08-2003, 17:15   #9
Resting in Peace

ho sorry the med im taking is life long too
Old 05-08-2003, 20:06   #10
Caz
God Member

I leave the tablets near the kettle so I won't forget to take them. One of the things with the condition is it can cause memory problems.

What was I saying again??  ;D ;D

- Oscar Wilde
Old 06-08-2003, 10:07   #11
Resting in Peace

i have to take 8 in the morning and 6 at night but i also have to take one with me when i go out incase of a angina attack
Old 06-08-2003, 15:29   #12

3 every morning before i do anything
Old 08-08-2003, 08:07   #13

what did someone say about eating certain foods
Old 08-08-2003, 11:07   #14
Caz
God Member

Brussel sprouts,  turnips, cauliflower, cabbage  almonds, peanuts and walnuts sweet corn,  
soya – this combined with a high fibre diet causes too much thyroid hormone and iodine to be excreted from the body.
raw Swedes, turnips and kale - These are sometimes fed to cattle and comes to us via their milk products.

Did you know that fluoride was used in the past to treat hyperthyroidism and that it was frequently used at levels below the current “optimal” intake of 1mg per day. Did you know that Fluoride is able to mimic the action of TSH? Researcher Andreas Schuld has found that excess fluoride correlates with other thyroid-related issues such as iodine deficiency. When there is excess of fluoride in the body it can interfere with the function of the thyroid gland.

Oestrogen
Any oestrogen raises the levels although thyroid activity is unchanged. This could make your levels look within the normal range, whereas they are really below it. Oestrogen provides more of the transport protein, making the hormone inactive. After starting on any oestrogen therapy, a woman should always have TSH tested to see if the oestrogen is having an impact on overall TSH and thyroid function and might require a dosage adjustment.

Ask your doctor about taking any vitamin supplements.
hypothyroidism tends to affect the absorption of necessary vitamis and minerals, so you need to keep a check on your balance. But many supplements have iodine. Always check with your GP or Chemist.

- Oscar Wilde
Old 08-08-2003, 11:09   #15
Caz
God Member

Did you know by the way, that there is fluoride in tea?

- Oscar Wilde

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..