Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 1 Post By Margaret Pilkington

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-02-2013, 17:02   #1
God Member

Toad in the hole ...

Was just reading Susie's recipe for loose potato pie ... my mouth watering at the memory of the crust, thinking of ham shank and pea soup, tripe and onions, baked heart ... and reading the Guardian web site ... even males can multi-task. A buddy of mine dropped by to see if I had a beer to help with his hangover. I mentioned that I was reading an article on Toad in the Hole. "What the "f-bomb" is that," he inquired? Hungover bikers are not given to delicacy of expression Does anyone have a simple ... or even complicated recipe for this delicacy?

Oh, and please, Marg P., no pics of your creations. That would count as "cruel and unusual punishment" under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 07-02-2013, 17:09   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Toad in the hole ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Was just reading Susie's recipe for loose potato pie ... my mouth watering at the memory of the crust, thinking of ham shank and pea soup, tripe and onions, baked heart ... and reading the Guardian web site ... even males can multi-task. A buddy of mine dropped by to see if I had a beer to help with his hangover. I mentioned that I was reading an article on Toad in the Hole. "What the "f-bomb" is that," he inquired? Hungover bikers are not given to delicacy of expression Does anyone have a simple ... or even complicated recipe for this delicacy?

Oh, and please, Marg P., no pics of your creations. That would count as "cruel and unusual punishment" under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms.
Bring it on Marg
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 17:45   #3
Resting In Peace

There you go Eric - can't go wrong with Delia. Just looking at that pic is making me salivate. Real comfort food - much nicer than poutine - not that I've ever had that - but sounds disgusting!

If you don't want to make the onion gravy but get your gravy from another source then you can obviously leave out roasting the onions at he beginning of the recipe.
Old 07-02-2013, 21:00   #4
Beacon of light

well, I don't make toad in the hole...so I won't be making you slavver Eric.
The closest we come is when I do sausage and mash and make a yorkshire pudding......I don't put the sausages into the yorkshire pudding just because himself prefers them separate.
I do make onion gravy...for himself as it doesn't agree with me(funny, I can remember my grandma telling me th same thing)........I roast the onions when I am cooking the yorkshire...make the gravy separately and then I put some plain gravy aside for me and put the roasted onions into the gravy for Mr P.
There is never any left, and the plate is always cleaned to within an inch of its life...so I have to believe it is fair tucker.
Eric likes this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:33   #5
Resting in Peace

If you care to look round the site you would find we have a section on food & recipes
http://www.accringtonweb.com/forum/g...d-recipes.html
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:34   #6
Beacon of light

well, would you believe it?....I never knew that.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:58   #7
God Member

I don't recommend you buy toad in the hole as a ready meal.
(they are legally bound to accurately describe ingredients)

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 11:24   #8
Beacon of light

I don't buy ready meals for myself, but sometimes himself will buy something that I won't make(Thai chicken curry and lasagne spring to mind)....any curry has to be eaten when I am out of the house...preferably for at least an overnight visit away.
He has been buying Findus Lasagne.....and he liked them........I'm going to have to rein him in on that one(sorry, I know it's not very good)....and it has never made him ill or given him the trots(again...sorry).....but it explains a lot about why he gallops round the shops.
I'll get my coat.
shillelagh likes this.
Old 08-02-2013, 15:44   #9
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I don't buy ready meals for myself, but sometimes himself will buy something that I won't make(Thai chicken curry and lasagne spring to mind)....any curry has to be eaten when I am out of the house...preferably for at least an overnight visit away.
He has been buying Findus Lasagne.....and he liked them........I'm going to have to rein him in on that one(sorry, I know it's not very good)....and it has never made him ill or given him the trots(again...sorry).....but it explains a lot about why he gallops round the shops.
I'll get my coat.
Take my advice; geld him. Either that or rent him out to make videos

I've already got my coat on ... time for exercise Canadian style: shivering and shovelling
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..