Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-01-2010, 08:50   #1
Grand Wizard Of The Inner Clique

Too Secure?

Just paid a monthly bill online, details are saved and all I have to do is press pay.

At least that's what used to happen, then as added security my bank added an extra feature, give us a password and we will ask you a security question.

O.K. so months ago I did this, now every month I'm transferred to my banks security, and they'll ask give us the 2nd, 23rd & 455th digit of your password.

This I duly do, only to get told in bold red letters that I'm incorrect, I then re-enter the letters after carefully double checking on my fingers and yes I was right the first time.

Again I'm told I'm wrong, again I enter the digits not only am I wrong, but this time I am scolded and told to continue by entering all my card details again then creating a new password.

So thinking logically I enter the password I thought it was after all if it was wrong when I tried to use it before it will be right next time I use it.

Up comes another nag screen telling me I'm not allowed to use the same password that is already in use, so I have to change it again, then once I've done that the money is taken from my account and put through to the one I wanted to pay.

To prevent this frustration happening next month I then go to my account details and change the password back to what it was before, sorted I think, only it isn't, I know I will have this problem again with the next bill I want to pay.

Sometimes I think on line banking can be a little too secure, anyone else have this problem.

P.S. Just a quick message to the mod's I know I've put this in general chat, if you think it should be in questions and answers please move it now before I upset a female member for being allowed to stick it where I like just as any other member would.
Less is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 08-01-2010, 09:04   #2
God Member

Re: Too Secure?

I have had that problem and have been locked out a few times. At first I was fuming but since that time realised that it is needed. There are that many dodgy people and programs (being polite) around that I accept this pain knowing it keeps my money safe. Cyberspace is a dangerous place and the dodgy ones will always be trying to find ways to get at your money so the banks try and stay ahead. Mine has its own message that asks me to update their protection attached to the site to be sure it is secure. The thing is though are they ever really secure?

As for it being moved I dont think it should as a lot of people use online banking even at a basic level and might be able to give insight or help.

If it gets moved bribery might be needed.

By the way at least these red letters aint that bad.

All comments above are nothing to do with here and therefore not the resposibility of the Accrington Web site owners admins or mods.

THEY ARE MINE!!!!

Last edited by SPUGGIE J; 08-01-2010 at 09:05. Reason: forgot a bit
SPUGGIE J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:09   #3
God Member

better safe than sorry..
Old 08-01-2010, 09:23   #4
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Thought it was only me, am sick of keep having to change me password.cant understand it, if someone had nicked yer card, they sure as hell would NOT pay your bill wi it.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:24   #5
Resting in Peace

I have moved this thread from general chat as it is a question
can members please check the section they are posting a thread in and use the appropriate section on the site thanks.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 09:27   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
I have moved this thread from general chat as it is a question
can members please check the section they are posting a thread in and use the appropriate section on the site thanks.
Aaaaaw! Sulky, Sulky, Sulk, Sulk! whimper, snarl, why me? Oh God, why me?

Life is so unfair.

Think I'll dash off and read the rules that don't apply to me 'cos I'm special!

Old 08-01-2010, 09:30   #7
Resting in Peace

The rules apply to ALL members including ROY i slapped Roy's hands once for posting in Russian

Last edited by Mick; 08-01-2010 at 09:32.
Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 10:09   #8
Resting in Peace

I use LloydsTSB which operate the password system, I haven't had any problems at all with my account and I use it on a regular basis, however I do change my password on a regular basis without being prompted to do so
Old 08-01-2010, 10:10   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I use LloydsTSB which operate the password system, I haven't had any problems at all with my account and I use it on a regular basis, however I do change my password on a regular basis without being prompted to do so
There's always one isn't there?

What are you doing posting something about the actual thread?
Old 08-01-2010, 10:36   #10
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
There's always one isn't there?

What are you doing posting something about the actual thread?
Dunroamin
Old 08-01-2010, 12:02   #11
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
The rules apply to ALL members including ROY i slapped Roy's hands once for posting in Russian

Oops I keep forgetting we have rules
Old 08-01-2010, 12:51   #12
Beacon of light

I know it is a bind, but the banking fraternity remind us that it is in our own interests to change our password periodically, for security reasons and to thwart those inscrutable bar stools who try to rob us.

I had to laugh Less, I thought it was only me who had to resort to fingers to check I had got the letters and numbers right........I am glad I am not alone.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 16:58   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Oops I keep forgetting we have rules
Only for those that need them,

the rest of us can get away with murder!

(Check your wallet, last time we met I slipped a free pass card in there).

P.S. So long as you don't use it, it gives you the full rights of an accyweb executive just like what I've always been able to use.

Old 08-01-2010, 18:06   #14
Resting in Peace

Excuse me for my interference sir .. I have a story.

In August .. got E-Mail from my bank re. this ... 'cause like your goodyerself (nah just yerself) forgot all about it too, until I was asked for this on an ancestry site in December. Didn't particularly read this as thought was some sort of club to join ... said 'no thanks'.

Next time I went on this site ... I had realised what it was all about ... so signed up my present details (well, after forgetting and renewing my password). They refused my payment quoting that this member had notified them that they did not hold a security pass ... They still will not let me on.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 19:35   #15
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less View Post
(Check your wallet, last time we met I slipped a free pass card in there).

And took a tenner out at the same time

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..