Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 19-02-2009, 18:11   #1

Travelodge Blackburn or Burnley

Hi All

Can anyone please advise me as to which of the two travelodges would be the best to stay in for about 4 nights, Blackburn would be my preference but would go to Burnley if there is a big difference. I know they are cheap and basic but if they are run down and dirty I won't bother and look elsewhere. I going back to sunny Clayton/Accy for a birthday party (my first visit for about 3 years and looking forward to it!!) and the Dunkenalgh want too much for midweek stays. Any other (clean!!) suggestions would also be appreciated
Many thanks
claytonheath is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 19-02-2009, 18:30   #2
Resting in Peace

Re: Travelodge Blackburn or Burnley

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldclaytonian View Post
Hi All

Can anyone please advise me as to which of the two travelodges would be the best to stay in for about 4 nights, Blackburn would be my preference but would go to Burnley if there is a big difference. I know they are cheap and basic but if they are run down and dirty I won't bother and look elsewhere. I going back to sunny Clayton/Accy for a birthday party (my first visit for about 3 years and looking forward to it!!) and the Dunkenalgh want too much for midweek stays. Any other (clean!!) suggestions would also be appreciated
Many thanks
None of the Travelodges I have stayed in over the years have been 'cheap and dirty' and no more basic than some hotel rooms ... have everything you need. Ok .. some are older than others, but always of a very high standard. Both locally are fairly modern, the only problem with Blackburn is that it is on the service station. You will of course have to go to Little Chefs, etc., if you wish to eat close by. If it were me, would go for Burnley .. but depends on what you are looking for in terms of service.

The thing I like about them is that you pay as you check in and no hassle with queing up at reception to pay your bill before departure next morning. Always parking spaces of course.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 18:45   #3

Quote:
Hi All

Many thanks

Accrington Hotels - Lifestyle - Accrington Observer

Have a look at this - may help
Old 19-02-2009, 19:26   #4
God Member

There's a new Holiday Inn Express in Burnley at J10, same turn-off as the Travelodge.
Old 19-02-2009, 19:30   #5
God Member

I stayed at Holiday Inn Manchester airport a few years ago - lovely, but it was dearer than Travelodges

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 19:36   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
There's a new Holiday Inn Express in Burnley at J10, same turn-off as the Travelodge.
Yes, know about that, but he asked about Travelodge. Actually the Holiday Inns Express are slightly more up market, but not much, usually have more facilities if you want a bite to eat. They are all clean Old Claytonian, so no worries there. (better than some hotel rooms sometimes, as they have a national standard). I did slightly prefer the Holiday Inns, but only because of the restaurant/cafe bar.

Thing is, if you have any problems with your room, ask to see the Housekeeper, they are a proud lot.
Old 19-02-2009, 19:37   #7
Senior Member+

The Maple Lodge - Guest House, Clayton le Moors, Accrington

This one seems nice enough, never stopped there, only driven past
emzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2009, 19:38   #8

Thanks all for your help. Blackburn would be better for me as it is nearer to my wife's family and meals are not a problem as we would be eating out with them or friends. As long as the place is clean and the beds are OK then that is all we need. It is just that I have heard recently about some Travelodges being run down so was checking if anyone knew if those two were OK
Old 19-02-2009, 19:41   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Thanks all for your help. Blackburn would be better for me as it is nearer to my wife's family and meals are not a problem as we would be eating out with them or friends. As long as the place is clean and the beds are OK then that is all we need. It is just that I have heard recently about some Travelodges being run down so was checking if anyone knew if those two were OK
Won't have a problem with the Blackburn one, just a little noisier that's all due to the Service Station traffic. They are usually double glazed though.
Old 19-02-2009, 19:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzy View Post
The Maple Lodge - Guest House, Clayton le Moors, Accrington

This one seems nice enough, never stopped there, only driven past
Was born a few yards from there - tried it but full for dates I wanted, would have been a good nostalgia trip - that is why I tried Dunkenalgh - used to play in their grounds and help them get rid of some of their apples!!

Last edited by claytonheath; 19-02-2009 at 19:44.
Old 19-02-2009, 19:42   #11
God Member

Travellodge at Gatwick was very shabby and the restaurant food was awful

Old 19-02-2009, 19:52   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Travellodge at Gatwick was very shabby and the restaurant food was awful
Travelodges do not have restaurants; the best you can hope for is a Cafe with Bar.

I stayed in one outside Bristol, that was quite old and was disappointed as of all the 100's I have stayed in, this definately needed refurbishment.
Old 19-02-2009, 19:54   #13
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Travelodges do not have restaurants; the best you can hope for is a Cafe with Bar.

I stayed in one outside Bristol, that was quite old and was disappointed as of all the 100's I have stayed in, this definately needed refurbishment.
Re Gatwick - Perhaps I should have said 'caff' with waiter service - it was attached to the Travelodge building

Old 19-02-2009, 19:54   #14
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Yes, know about that, but he asked about Travelodge. Actually the Holiday Inns Express are slightly more up market, but not much, usually have more facilities if you want a bite to eat. They are all clean Old Claytonian, so no worries there. (better than some hotel rooms sometimes, as they have a national standard). I did slightly prefer the Holiday Inns, but only because of the restaurant/cafe bar.

Thing is, if you have any problems with your room, ask to see the Housekeeper, they are a proud lot.
Should have gone to specsavers young lady

Quote:
Any other (clean!!) suggestions would also be appreciated

I prefer the Holiday Inn Express because of the power showers . and the facilites usually are better, but as Margaret says, slightly higher price.

I seem to recall the Stanley lot mentioning a B&B near the football ground thats okay. The Maple Lodge doesn't ring a bell so it might be another one.
Old 19-02-2009, 21:13   #15
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
Should have gone to specsavers young lady

Watcha' trying to say ... do know what I am talking about ...

I prefer the Holiday Inn Express because of the power showers .

A lot of the Travelodges do have power showers too

I seem to recall the Stanley lot mentioning a B&B near the football ground thats okay. The Maple Lodge doesn't ring a bell so it might be another one.
It will be Norwood Guest House, Stuart there is very fussy, and the rooms are absolutely beautiful with excellent food, however, not cheap and if you are rolling in drunk at night, will have to creep around.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..