Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-09-2009, 16:56   #16
God Member

Re: TV channels disappearing.

This is actually due to a new secret government initiative, which is being piloted in Granadaland. It has been found that there are far too many people on the rock 'n' roll and the like who, instead of going out looking for work, do nowt but stay in bed all day and watch telly all night. Therefore yer telly is being switched off after midnight so you will all be up as the cock crows looking fer jobs.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 10-09-2009, 09:22   #17
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tealeaf View Post
This is actually due to a new secret government initiative, which is being piloted in Granadaland. It has been found that there are far too many people on the rock 'n' roll and the like who, instead of going out looking for work, do nowt but stay in bed all day and watch telly all night. Therefore yer telly is being switched off after midnight so you will all be up as the cock crows looking fer jobs.
They don't knock satellite off Tealeaf, so the experiment is failing
Old 08-10-2009, 19:05   #18
God Member

There is a way round this booster problem.
The tenant in my block who has been supplied with it
and is paying for the power it uses
has told me the make and model, how it works, and where I can get one.

He has switched it off a few times, causing me to replug into the old ariel that hasn't been removed yet. He says he is switching it off regularly early evening as he goes to bed early. I have only noticed it twice because I don't watch TV very much.

I am hanging back from shelling out a tenner for one because I think Hyndburn Homes should supply one to each tenant. I have mailed them to ask how they propose to resolve the problem.

I can understand and appreciate why he is switching it off. Apart from the cost, although its minimal, there is a principle at stake here
(......and the added factor that the 'mentally challenged' man who lives above him watches TV at high volume during the early hours )

We have had no word from HH when the extra rent charge will be added.
We will then be paying over a £1 a week for the use of the ariel which is an inescapable rent charge

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 20:52   #19
I am Banned

[quote=MargaretR;751756]There is a way round this booster problem.
The tenant in my block who has been supplied with it
and is paying for the power it uses
has told me the make and model, how it works, and where I can get one.

He has switched it off a few times, causing me to replug into the old ariel that hasn't been removed yet. He says he is switching it off regularly early evening as he goes to bed early. I have only noticed it twice because I don't watch TV very much.

Surely if he is powering the booster and switching it off at night, then what will you achieve by buying a booster, if the main one is off, theres nothing to boost.
Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 21:00   #20
God Member

The way it was explained to him by the ariel fitter is as follows -
It 'switches on the ariel'
It plugs into your mains supply and has another lead which you plug into one of the 4 outlets in the new socket which leads to the multi ariel.
This is it-
Triax TMPR Power Supply Unit

PS -so I misled you - not a booster - a power supply for the ariel

Last edited by MargaretR; 08-10-2009 at 21:03.
Old 08-10-2009, 21:28   #21
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
It plugs into your mains supply and has another lead which you plug into one of the 4 outlets in the new socket which leads to the multi ariel.
This is it-

I still stand by what I said, if the man turns the power supply off at night to the power supply unit and that unit supplies the other properties, then there will be no signal to apply power to in your property, what you need is to bypass his Triax unit, then you can use your own Triax Power supply Unit.

Like in the old days when water for houses were fed from the top house, if they shut the water off, you were all off.
Thats why all houses are supposed to have their own supply from the street mains and there own stop cock

Retlaw.
Old 08-10-2009, 21:45   #22
God Member

I don't think that this system can be compared to water supply which comes through one pipe, because the exterior cabling (heck of a lot of it) indicates that each of us has a wall socket which is cabled to that ariel -so any one of us has the capacity to switch it on.

Old 08-10-2009, 21:59   #23
I am Banned

Quote:
I don't think that this system can be compared to water supply which comes through one pipe, because the exterior cabling (heck of a lot of it) indicates that each of us has a wall socket which is cabled to that ariel -so any one of us has the capacity to switch it on.
Sorry Margaret, I think you will find that all that cableing goes to his Triax unit, otherwise you would still get a signal when he switches off.
If you look at the aerial there is only one cable running down from the top. All the other cables are from his Triax unit.
Retlaw.
Old 08-10-2009, 22:06   #24
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
Sorry Margaret, I think you will find that all that cableing goes to his Triax unit, otherwise you would still get a signal when he switches off.
If you look at the aerial there is only one cable running down from the top. All the other cables are from his Triax unit.
Retlaw.
I will need to go out to look at it in daylight tomorrow.
From memory, I recall seeing many cables to a large box set on the wall beneath the ariel.
There is so much cabling on this ariel system that it is secured in a bunch with cable ties and the bunch is several inches in diameter - rather unsightly, running all around the exterior walls of the flats.
The ariel is so complex and large that it resembles a mobile phone mast

Old 08-10-2009, 22:11   #25
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
This is it-

The aerial does not need power but it sounds like it may have a mast head amplifier that will need the power from the power supply you mention or the power could feed a distribution amplifier in the roof space that then feeds to each flat.

It is crazy that one person can switch of the aerial feed to everyone's flat. The sensible thing to do would be if the person who supply's the power for the amplifier did not pay the 70p per week rent for the aerial.

Out of interest you must have lights inside the stair area of the flats - who supplies the electricity for those lights? It could be you.
Old 08-10-2009, 22:20   #26
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
The aerial does not need power but it sounds like it may have a mast head amplifier that will need the power from the power supply you mention or the power could feed a distribution amplifier in the roof space that then feeds to each flat.

It is crazy that one person can switch of the aerial feed to everyone's flat. The sensible thing to do would be if the person who supply's the power for the amplifier did not pay the 70p per week rent for the aerial.

Out of interest you must have lights inside the stair area of the flats - who supplies the electricity for those lights? It could be you.
The stairwell lights have a seperate meter housed in the flat below mine. The bill is paid by HH.
The man who moved in that flat was most confused at having two meters and we needed to trace back the power cables from the lights so that we could tell which meter he needed to read as his supply.
Maybe they should have considered installing this power supply unit with its connection to that meter - instead they have taken the easy way out.

PS they did not access the roof space during the installation

Old 08-10-2009, 22:33   #27
God Member

pps - this is firm HH are using
The Systems
http://www.dastv.co.uk/commercial/la...php#IRS_System
Each flat has a wall tv socket with 4 places to plug in - the man who has been given this power supply unit has a socket with 4 just like mine. He was told to plug in this gadget in the one at top right.

Last edited by MargaretR; 08-10-2009 at 22:42.
Old 15-12-2009, 13:02   #28
God Member

The ariel that has been erected for use in the block of flats I live in needs a power supply unit in order to operate.

Only one has been supplied for 12 flats.
The man who has been given it, has to finance the electricity it uses, and quite naturally feels a little put out about it.

There have been several times since the switchover when I have found that he has switched it off.

He knows that I have bought one of my own, but others on this block don't appear to have done so.

The ariel install company have advised him that each flat should have one, but Hyndburn Homes are not doing anything about it.

It does come in handy - I know that the man with the official plug in, unplugs it at night, and I only use mine very rarely (don't watch TV much)
Amazing how I no longer have my sleep disturbed by the noise of the TV in the flat under mine

What is surprising, is that none of the other 10 residents appear to be complaining.

Old 15-12-2009, 15:43   #29
Resting in Peace

Quote:
The ariel that has been erected for use in the block of flats I live in needs a power supply unit in order to operate.

Only one has been supplied for 12 flats.
The man who has been given it, has to finance the electricity it uses, and quite naturally feels a little put out about it.

There have been several times since the switchover when I have found that he has switched it off.

He knows that I have bought one of my own, but others on this block don't appear to have done so.

The Ariel install company have advised him that each flat should have one, but Hyndburn Homes are not doing anything about it.

It does come in handy - I know that the man with the official plug in, unplugs it at night, and I only use mine very rarely (don't watch TV much)
Amazing how I no longer have my sleep disturbed by the noise of the TV in the flat under mine

What is surprising, is that none of the other 10 residents appear to be complaining.
I've given up on them Margaret, I'm using my satellite system as they can't provide Sky Multi room,but would like the aerial connecting as a backup for when Sky goes on the blink
Old 16-12-2009, 07:22   #30
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
I've given up on them Margaret, I'm using my satellite system as they can't provide Sky Multi room,but would like the aerial connecting as a backup for when Sky goes on the blink
You can always screen live free view through your computer

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote

« help | Eye Test »

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..