Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-01-2010, 18:50   #1

Used cooking oil??

Hi all,
Is there anyone out there that uses used cooking oil in there diesel car,
If so PM me
mumtotwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 11-01-2010, 19:25   #2
I am Banned

Re: Used cooking oil??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumtotwo View Post
Hi all,
If so PM me
You can't just put cooking oil in a diesel, it has to be processed first.

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 13:14   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retlaw View Post
You can't just put cooking oil in a diesel, it has to be processed first.

Retlaw.
True for most vehicles it usually requies converting to Bio fuel, some older diesel engines can just run on straight cooking oil although it would be inadvisable in the current weather.
Old 14-01-2010, 13:42   #4
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumtotwo View Post
Hi all,
If so PM me
If you wanted to use used cooking oil it does need processing first. Nasty acids and bits of chips in used oil. It is converted to bio diesel using a process called transesterification usually using methanol. This gives you bio diesel. The funny thing is that the methonal comes from crude oil so it not very bio

I used to use bio from a legal source a few years ago but I had an older non direct injection diesel car. I would only use bio in a new diesel engine if it was supplied by the big companies.

Older indirect injection diesels can use straight vegetable oil (SVO). The only problem as mentioned above is the temperature. When cold veg oil is thick and puts a lot of strain on your fuel pump which is expensive. the way around it is to heat the oil to about 80c where it is similar in viscosity to diesel at 10c - yes I have written this from memory and yes i am a sad git.

Saying all that in summer a few years a go I was throwing 3 litre veg oil bottles straight in the tank. The bottle neck is the perfect size for the fuel filler hole. My plastic bottle recycling bin was very full lol. It was best with a bit of ordinary diesel to thin it out a bit. Completely illegal though as no duty has been paid on the fuel.

On veg oil the car was smoother running at low revs but was a little less powerful on the motorway. It was damn cheap at the time as the supermarkets were having a bit of a price war. Used to get funny looks with 15 3 litre bottles of oil in my Sainsbury's trolley and a loaf of bread

Out of interest what is your car and how old is it?
Old 14-01-2010, 17:08   #5

Hmm, are you sure that she is asking that?

Looks more like she may have some available to me.

Hence the PM request.
mattylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 17:15   #6
God Member

do not use cooking oil or bio-diesil in new cars it will ruin your car, just google about it and you will see how it corodes seals etc

however my mate had an old perkings diesil engine and mixed neat cooking oil not used and diesil together and ran with no problems but it was an old engine which was not hampered by modern technology lol

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 17:20   #7
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattylad View Post
Hmm, are you sure that she is asking that?

Looks more like she may have some available to me.

Hence the PM request.
You can make bio on the stove in small batches but are more likely to end up with soap than bio diesel
Old 14-01-2010, 17:21   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You can make bio on the stove in small batches but are more likely to end up with soap than bio diesel
well if you cant run yor car off it you can at least clean it

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-01-2010, 17:28   #9
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!

A diesel car will run off engine oil, they are a bit smokey though when they do it. Oh yes and it melted a piston and all the glow plugs when mine did it

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..