Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-11-2007, 23:51   #1
God Member

Very simple ...

A very simple question to fill a blank. What was the name of the hospital in Accrington. I don't know what street it was on, but it was on the old #1 bus route from Clayton to Ossy? And is it still there?
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 29-11-2007, 00:03   #2
God Member

Re: Very simple ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
A very simple question to fill a blank. What was the name of the hospital in Accrington. I don't know what street it was on, but it was on the old #1 bus route from Clayton to Ossy? And is it still there?
Accrington Victoria Community Hospital. The main entrance was on Thorneyholme Road.
Old 29-11-2007, 03:19   #3
God Member

That's it. Thanks. I remember looking at it almost daily as I took the bus to school. The name would just not come to me.
Old 29-11-2007, 05:34   #4
Resting in Peace

Not Thornyholme Rd for main entrace but Heywood Rd
Ber999T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 07:06   #5
Resident Waffler

It's still there but a mere shadow of its former self. We have to go to Blackburn for most things now. Here are some photos I took a little while ago.

The road where you passed it in the bus on the way to Clayton was Whalley Road - that's still the bus route to Clayton.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg AccyVic 001.jpg (110.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg AccyVic 002.jpg (153.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg AccyVic 003.jpg (56.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg AccyVic 004.jpg (57.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg AccyVic 005.jpg (120.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg AccyVic 006.jpg (92.4 KB, 1 views)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 08:37   #6
☆ V.I.P Member ☆

Iremember when there was a maternity ward there, and many a times going to casulty for a broken arm...

same they had to shut it, you cant even have xrays there now I believe
Old 29-11-2007, 08:44   #7
Senior Member+

i was at the minor injuries clinic the other day and there was a sign saying to ring the bell if you had x rays.. the clinic was brilliant!! we dont have a doctor yet so i took my lad up there with ear ache, your seen by a nurse and then by the doctor, like in a a&e,

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2007, 23:01   #8
God Member

It was very sad to see this close . my mum was a nurse there on the female medical ward and i rem having my appendix out there .. it was spotlessly clean and well run . and went there with my first child . ..
ahhh the days ..
cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 06:21   #9
Full Member+

Saints and Sinners Bingo Champion!
Bezerk Champion!

In days gone by it was known locally as The Cottage Hospital but no idea why, just remember my mum calling it that.
MITZY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2007, 18:32   #10
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITZY View Post
In days gone by it was known locally as The Cottage Hospital but no idea why, just remember my mum calling it that.
Yeah, I remember that too.
Old 01-12-2007, 14:21   #11
God Member

My youngest son was born at Accy Vic - what a different experience it was to when I had my eldest at Queens Park five years earlier - such a shame the maternity unit closed there.
AccyMad is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..