Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By jaysay
  • 2 Post By Margaret Pilkington
  • 2 Post By jaysay

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2013, 10:02   #1
Resting in Peace

Virtual Ward

Just wondering if there is anybody else making use of this scheme on here. When I was discharged from hospital back in December, I was discharged to the Virtual Ward, its a step forward from the Community Matrons which helped me out for a few years, the principal is the same. If my health does a nose dive, I can ring a number anytime of day and night and a front line nurse will come round to check me out, the idea is that your treated at home as opposed to going into hospital, the nurses work in conjunction with you GP and are able to prescribe certain medications antibiotics steroids etc. I called them yesterday because my chest is playing up a bit, I just hope I can stave of the three 999s trip to the Royal
Judith Addison likes this.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 12-02-2013, 10:22   #2
Beacon of light

Re: Virtual Ward

I think this is a good idea John...you are much safer (from the point of view of hospital aquired infections) in your own home, you are much less stressed too. Being in familiar surroundings has to be better than hospital.
I hope the early intervention works for you John and you don't end up at RBH again.
mobertol and Judith Addison like this.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 17:27   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
I think this is a good idea John...you are much safer (from the point of view of hospital aquired infections) in your own home, you are much less stressed too. Being in familiar surroundings has to be better than hospital.
I hope the early intervention works for you John and you don't end up at RBH again.
It seems like the pseudomonas has reared its head again Margaret, but I can combat that, will know more when the test results are back from the path lab maybe Monday, would think we won't bother with anti bios if the pseudomonas is only + + + I can live with that, if its higher may have to take a course of ciprofloxacin, but that can be counter productive
Old 14-02-2013, 15:53   #4
Senior Member+

How fast did they turn up?
Old 14-02-2013, 17:12   #5
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restless View Post
How fast did they turn up?
within 2 hours and have been back every day since, just to check everything is okay, plus if I have any problems which rear up suddenly I can ring 24/7 and will get instant attention
Restless and Judith Addison like this.
Old 02-06-2013, 17:11   #6
Resting In Peace

Just discovered this thread and thank you John for your posts. I have an elderly relative in Accy with various heath problems, was speaking to her on the phone earlier and she said her paperwork mentions St Peter's virtual ward. She hasn't a clue what that means but thanks to you I have some more information. It sounds like a very good idea to me.
Old 02-06-2013, 17:25   #7
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Just discovered this thread and thank you John for your posts. I have an elderly relative in Accy with various heath problems, was speaking to her on the phone earlier and she said her paperwork mentions St Peter's virtual ward. She hasn't a clue what that means but thanks to you I have some more information. It sounds like a very good idea to me.
It's a very good idea, which is designed to keep older people out of hospital where possible, If I'm not feeling well, instead of ringing my GP, I ring the virtual ward nurse, who will come to see me the same day, these nurses are able to prescribe antibiotics and other drugs, but they also work with your GP too. At present I haven't seen anybody since January, I'm just hoping it carries on like that
Old 02-06-2013, 17:30   #8
Resting In Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It's a very good idea, which is designed to keep older people out of hospital where possible, If I'm not feeling well, instead of ringing my GP, I ring the virtual ward nurse, who will come to see me the same day, these nurses are able to prescribe antibiotics and other drugs, but they also work with your GP too. At present I haven't seen anybody since January, I'm just hoping it carries on like that
Fingers crossed for you from me. My relative hates seeing her GP so hope this will work out better.
Old 02-06-2013, 17:47   #9
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by susie123 View Post
Fingers crossed for you from me. My relative hates seeing her GP so hope this will work out better.
Its actually an advanced stage from the Community Matrons which was started a while back, but it works for me and the referral after an hospital stay is better too.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..