Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-09-2009, 21:02   #1
Senior Member+

Wall Scratching.........

As anyone had a dog who has had a compulsive plaster scratching disorder?

I know it sounds well stupid but everytime we leave Clio at home alone she scratches the plaster and it's so bad now that I can see the bare blockwork.

I've looked online and it says that it's due to anxiety but we can't take her out with us all the time. I can't find any advice on stopping it. Anyone any ideas whilst I still have some walls left?

So much muck to eat before you die
junetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 28-09-2009, 21:15   #2
God Member

Re: Wall Scratching.........

Know it sounds daft but if its scratching the walls with its paws like its trying to escape. its possible if your house walls may have plaster containing "beach' sand its using the plaster as a salt lick .
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 21:20   #3
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by junetta View Post

I know it sounds well stupid but everytime we leave Clio at home alone she scratches the plaster and it's so bad now that I can see the bare blockwork.

I've looked online and it says that it's due to anxiety but we can't take her out with us all the time. I can't find any advice on stopping it. Anyone any ideas whilst I still have some walls left?
Gosh Junetta ... when I was on holiday the other week .. was reading a really good weekly ex-pats' freebee publication and they had a pet's corner type feature and talked about dogs doing this type of thing as well as barking when the owners were out. Perhaps Royboy has some back copies ? Will pm him.

I remember the one about barking where there are collars that are tuned into their vocal chords, and everytime they bark squirts out this lemon type smell (they musn't like it) and stops them. Thought about getting one for my friend's husband for every time he moaned ....LOL.

If I remember, someone asked this question about chewing, etc., but the advice was going to be in the following publication after I had left. Sorry, that's a bit of a non starter and not very helpful really ... but was due to anxiety.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 21:23   #4
God Member

Quote:

Lump of lead....left ear....sorry pal could'nt avoid that.

Blackburn Rovers Supporter Since 1950
Royboy39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 21:29   #5
Senior Member+

its called seperation anxiety - buy it some toys or get another dog to keep it company - or have someone look after it whilst your out..
we had the same problem with a dog we once had (now in doggie heaven - rip dave) - she effectively ate the kitchen walls, door,skirting and cupboards and lino...we got a dog walker which although aint cheap saved us a fortune on repairing/getting new kitchen units etc every week
glasgow guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 21:35   #6
Resting in Peace

Quote:

I had a dog that gave me the same problem tillI I trained it to be a to be an Ironmongers dog.
Every time it scratched the plaster I kicked it in the the nuts and it made a Bolt for the door

Some people think I'm a bit of an animal, but I'm quite tender really
Benipete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 21:38   #7
Senior Member+

We've had her since she was eight weeks old and she's now over two years old. She's never chewed furniture or door frames, rarely barks just the odd wuff and has toys available for her.

Her addiction stopped for six months and we thought she was over it but two weeks ago it all started again. She knows what she has done, hides under the sofa and doesn't get 'good girl' biscuits.

I really hate it as she's so lovable.

Old 28-09-2009, 21:57   #8
Resting in Peace

I've found it Junetta ... there is more if you go back to previous articles :-

http://www.euroweeklynews.com/featur...n-anxiety.html
Old 28-09-2009, 22:07   #9
I am Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
I've found it Junetta ... there is more if you go back to previous articles :-

http://www.euroweeklynews.com/featur...n-anxiety.html
Won't open comes up with error 403.
associated with spyware and malware

Retlaw.
Retlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2009, 22:14   #10
Resting in Peace

Working ok for me .. how about you Junetta ?

There are other parts to these articles which are easy to find ... if you can read them .. LOL.
Old 28-09-2009, 22:15   #11
Senior Member+

I'll leave that then but thanks for your efforts Katex x

Old 28-09-2009, 22:19   #12
Resting in Peace

Quote:
I'll leave that then but thanks for your efforts Katex x
Can you not get it then ?

Just go directly onto the site yourself ....

www.euroweeklynews.com and search from there for Pet's Corner and separation anxiety.. it is really good.
Old 28-09-2009, 22:22   #13
Senior Member+

I got it and I can see where it's going. We do make a fuss when we leave her and when we come home if she's a good girl. Maybe shouting when she's been naughty isn't helping...........something to ponder on x

Old 29-09-2009, 09:54   #14
Resting in Peace

My other half had a springer cross and every time it was left alone it attacked the peddle bin, if she forgot to put on a kitchen unit before she went out. Even if she remember and went back in it was to late the bin would be trashed

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..