Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 28-02-2009, 10:03   #16
Resting in Peace

Re: Weather 1960-68

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Well she does say before 68 so my '66 or 67' is reasonably accurate
want to know what I had for breakfast that day?
It was in 1967 Margaret, it happened round about 2-45pm I was actually diving from Clitheroe to Whalley at the time and I just pulled up in a lay by because I hadn't a clue what was happening, it was very scary to say the least, the reason I know it was 67 was because I was working for Franklands contractors at the time and only worked for them in 67
Old 28-02-2009, 10:49   #17
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
It was in 1967 Margaret, it happened round about 2-45pm I was actually diving from Clitheroe to Whalley at the time and I just pulled up in a lay by because I hadn't a clue what was happening, it was very scary to say the least, the reason I know it was 67 was because I was working for Franklands contractors at the time and only worked for them in 67
ah if it was then i retract i was not drunk or stoned, i was probably suffering from physical exaustion as i was at franklands also.
Old 28-02-2009, 11:09   #18
Resting in Peace

seem to remember being sent home from school..... and people saying the world was about to end: my grandma said it was grandads fault something to do with his homebrew..... with copper pipes that went round the shed for some strange reason ;-)
magpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2009, 17:57   #19
Resting in Peace

i remember it well, the world has never been the same since, i think it was a sign telling everybody the sixty's was coming to an end, [them good old days]
darwendosser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 20:49   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
I was working at DSS Charlotte St Burnley on the top floor
It was very eerie looking down on the town in darkness in the middle of the day
I remember the DSS building in Charlotte Street - I worked at the Blackburn office in Peter Street, but went to work at Burnley on a few occasions.

Some of the old DSS offices were located in 'unusual' buidings weren't they?

The Blackburn office had originally been a Co-op emporium - there was a very impressive staircase from reception up to the first floor.

Sorry I can't remember the sky turning black.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 20:56   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
What time of year was it Jaysay?

Do you remember the day we had the 'cloudburst' which destroyed the house at Rising Bridge - I know it was the first Saturday of Accrington holidays. I remember the rain flooding down all the streets leading from the Coppice into Accrington. I think it was about 1965 or 1966.
claytonender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:13   #22
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
What time of year was it Jaysay?

Do you remember the day we had the 'cloudburst' which destroyed the house at Rising Bridge - I know it was the first Saturday of Accrington holidays. I remember the rain flooding down all the streets leading from the Coppice into Accrington. I think it was about 1965 or 1966.
Remember it well claytonender, was the first Saturday of the Accy Wakes weeks, think it was 65 but not 100% sure, started raining about 11am, I'd just been shopping down Accy and managed to get in the house before the heavens opened. Can remember going down Milton street when it stopped and there was a torrent of water running past what is Gayles house now and the plantation (foxhill nature reserve) was completely flooded, don't think it has rained as hard since
As for the day it went black, think it could have been late August early September but again not sure

Last edited by jaysay; 02-03-2009 at 11:15.
jaysay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 11:19   #23
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by claytonender View Post
I remember the DSS building in Charlotte Street - I worked at the Blackburn office in Peter Street, but went to work at Burnley on a few occasions.

Some of the old DSS offices were located in 'unusual' buidings weren't they?

The Blackburn office had originally been a Co-op emporium - there was a very impressive staircase from reception up to the first floor.

Sorry I can't remember the sky turning black.
In the sixties I worked for Pilkingtons who did a lot of maintenance work on government offices must have worked in the lot around that time plus the GPO and Hospitals too

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..