Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 13-11-2011, 10:16   #2326
Resting in Peace

Re: weather??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
In fact the sun is shining on Italy today - it's all the hundreds of others who also need to be ousted that cause me to worry. Italy has always had a so-called unstable government but historically - even if they don't last long in office, effectively it's always the same lot changing position, party name and logo at every election
Oh, I'm not an Italian citizen by the way and have no right to vote here -wouldn't want to have any part...
Surely your allowed to vote in Euro elections and whats to stop you registering to vote as an overseas voter for elections here in blighty
Old 13-11-2011, 12:33   #2327
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Join the club Di, I've taken stick for being a "Kraut" from some, Barry for being a "Frog", but hey broad shoulders & slopey (as to stick about Europe I give it out too even though I live here In Germanland Johnny foreigner deserves all he gets & I'm just working on it from the inside as the Politicos are so apt to opine better in pishing out than out pishing in )

The crap just rolls off & no worries, I was offered membership to the Bratty society & I explained to a rather bemused official that in no uncertain terms I was English born & bred & would take my last breath as an Englishman when I shuffle off this mortal coil at some point in the future irrespective as to where I choose to reside Cut me in half & the George cross runs through my core with an edging of union (flag) colours around the edges. As Ma (MargeP) so wisely points out it's more about how you see yourself than where you live.

Incidentally the weather here's turning proper nippy now & there's been a couple o' mornings when I've had to have a damn good scratch (Ice off the car). Don't think the snow's to far away & the temps are hovering between 0-3°C quite regularly of late, Winter tyres will be getting fitted tomorrow so then the weather can do what it likes.

Last edited by DaveinGermany; 13-11-2011 at 12:39.
DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 13:40   #2328
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Which all goes to show that nationality is more about how you see yourself, than where you actually live.
Wise words Margaret -I will make sure i remember them!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 13:43   #2329
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Surely your allowed to vote in Euro elections and whats to stop you registering to vote as an overseas voter for elections here in blighty
You are right John on both counts -can vote here in Euro elections and at home have done so with a postal vote.

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 13-11-2011, 13:46   #2330
God Member

[quote=DaveinGermany;947447]Join the club Di, I've taken stick for being a "Kraut" from some, Barry for being a "Frog", but hey broad shoulders & slopey
Nice day here today -just finished my daily cycle in the sunshine - getting cooler though.
Loved your post - perhaps the excercise will broaden my shoulders too!

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 13-11-2011, 13:59   #2331
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!

Quote:
Loved your post - perhaps the excercise will broaden my shoulders too!
I find lifting weights, pint sized ones works well Di. Get out there & bring it on

Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life. (Cecil Rhodes)

It applies equally when you insert English Woman.
Old 13-11-2011, 14:05   #2332
Beacon of light

Oh...as G will tell you I don't really do the wisdom stuff.......I am more for common sense than wisdom.....but thankyou anyway.......and remember when you are far from home and little down in the mouth a rousing chorus of God Save the Queen puts everything into perspective
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 14:07   #2333
God Member

Nice one Dave - funny though at Uni. all the Rhodes scholars were from overseas! Mainly American and South Africans...

Like the quote..

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 13-11-2011, 14:08   #2334
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
Oh...as G will tell you I don't really do the wisdom stuff.......I am more for common sense than wisdom.....but thankyou anyway.......and remember when you are far from home and little down in the mouth a rousing chorus of God Save the Queen puts everything into perspective
Admit to standing while watching it at lunchtime for the ceremony at the Cenotaph

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 13-11-2011, 14:34   #2335
Beacon of light

Jerusalem is another good one for shaking off the homesickness.

I spent quite a bit of time in Oz and I was always homesick when I came back.......I was looking in Asda for groceries sold in Coles.......and in M&S for Myers stuff. How sad is that?
Old 13-11-2011, 15:05   #2336
God Member

I have a very funny memory of that song tied to a Xmas at my Nanny's when I was about 8 - a proper family party with a few of the oldies - Nanny's brothers Frank and Jack disappeared in to the front room all afternoon with a bottle of whiskey which they downed.
When it was time to go home, Nanny's sister Elsie went in to call them and found them both drunk -managed to get them into their hats and overcoats and brought them in to say good-bye, they had to go back to Padiham. Frank started singing Jerusalem because he was so drunk he thought he'd died and gone to heaven! Dad had to help my Grandad get them both out and into the car...
It comes back whenever I hear the song...

~ D. H. Lawrence
Old 13-11-2011, 16:45   #2337
Beacon of light

If the song has the power to evoke such a memory, then it surely would bring some laughter into your life when you are in the most need of it.
I only imagined the scene and I was chuckling....but then, I do have a very graphic imagination.
Old 13-11-2011, 19:30   #2338
God Member

Quote:
How wise - I suppose it's like Canada being lumped together with the USA as North America.... you wouldn't really want that either!
How's the weather over there Eric -has the cold arrived yet - still mild here so far...
Don't forget Mexico

We have very close ties with the US ... NAFTA for eg. ... but NAFTA is the kind of thing that most European countries could live with. And NORAD ... people forget, or are not aware of, the fact that the RCAF plays a large role in the defence of North America ... in fact, we have purchased a bunch of F-35s from the US to beef up our contribution to NORAD, and to make us a force to be reckoned with in the North. However, we are an independent nation, and go our own way in foreign and domestic policy. We recognize Cuba; the yanks don't. We didn't participate in the Iraq fiasco. The yanks didn't like it; but screw 'em if they can't take a joke. And our decision proved to be the right one. We helped in the bailout of the US auto industry ... to the tune of about $25 billion, I think. The payoff for that was jobs for Canadian auto workers. The yanks are baulking at the building of the pipeline which would take Canadian oil to the Gulf ... and they have been told in no uncertain terms that if they don't want the oil, the Chinese will be more than happy to take it .... I'm using too many words again (sorry Marg P) ... but the bottom line is: you can have close economic, political, and military ties without giving up sovreignty, whatever the weather.

Enough EU stuff: the weather here is unseasonably warm ... but a few days down the road shows below normal temps; and maybe some of the white stuff.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2011, 20:30   #2339
Beacon of light

don't apologise Eric...it is interesting stuff.
Old 17-11-2011, 23:45   #2340
God Member

Beautiful weather here today - blue skies and sunny. Am in Bologna to meet up with an old friend -actually ate out "al fresco" this evening!!! Ok so they had those patio burners and gave out rugs to put round your knees (all i needed was a bath-chair and i could have been in an Agatha Christie plot...)

Spent much of the time drooling -not for the food but for the lovely Alberto Tomba -drop dead gorgeous- who was at the next table OMG!!!!!!

Cold though as you can see from Neptunes attributes in the photo

Impressive trident though
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4446.jpg (208.3 KB, 3 views)

~ D. H. Lawrence

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..