Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-12-2011, 15:20   #2386
God Member

Re: weather??

After a week of near solid fog it finally seems to have lifted - can now see grey clouds in a grey sky.....what a grey day!

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 01-12-2011, 15:49   #2387
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobertol View Post
After a week of near solid fog it finally seems to have lifted - can now see grey clouds in a grey sky.....what a grey day!
Sorry to hear that, hon ... I hope the grey is just on the outside
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 15:58   #2388
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
Sorry to hear that, hon ... I hope the grey is just on the outside
Definitely Eric, feeling pretty much in the pink inside today

“Beauty is an experience, nothing else. It is not a fixed pattern or an arrangement of features. It is something felt, a glow or a communicated sense of fineness.”
~ D. H. Lawrence
mobertol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 20:27   #2389
God Member

Thought I'd resurrect this, rather than starting a new one about the weather in Australia. We've been getting news of major fires in the Adelaide Hills, and I'm wondering how our down under friends are getting along in what seems to be severe heat.

We have the opposite ... we had a frost quake early this morning ... and there are reports of one in Ottawa, although that might have something to do with all the hot air from the House of Commons fronting with the frigid outdoor temperatures.
Old 07-01-2015, 22:52   #2390

[QUOTE=Eric;1128844]Thought I'd resurrect this, rather than starting a new one about the weather in Australia. We've been getting news of major fires in the Adelaide Hills, and I'm wondering how our down under friends are getting along in what seems to be severe heat.

Not too bad here in Perth Eric, had one day at 44c, but mostly in mid 30s. A couple of small fires.
Thank god we have good air-conditioning. Best thing since sliced bread.
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 04:50   #2391

[QUOTE=Aussie Irene;1128867]
Quote:
Thought I'd resurrect this, rather than starting a new one about the weather in Australia. We've been getting news of major fires in the Adelaide Hills, and I'm wondering how our down under friends are getting along in what seems to be severe heat.

Not too bad here in Perth Eric, had one day at 44c, but mostly in mid 30s. A couple of small fires.
Thank god we have good air-conditioning. Best thing since sliced bread.
The Adelaide bushfire control was helped when we had steady rain overnight, and is now80% under control,no loss of life but about 30 homes destroyed.
The weather dep,t now tell us that we could be in for the heaviest rains for some years.
Eric likes this.
south aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:31   #2392

Strange weather here in South Australia – a few days ago it was in the 40’s and that terrible bushfire was raging, and now we have been warned to expect major flooding in many parts of South Australia. It is very humid at the present time.

The bushfire has been devastating for many people and animals, so much destruction, heartbreaking for all concerned. The brave and caring volunteers who risk their lives fighting fires such as this are truly heroic.

My niece’s property is in one of the towns that were affected by the fire but thankfully she is all right as is her house and also her animals, though it is probably a different story for the wildlife that abounded nearby. She is one of the lucky ones, so many were not as fortunate.
Eric likes this.
dotti34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 15:08   #2393
God Member

[QUOTE=Aussie Irene;1128867]
Quote:

Not too bad here in Perth Eric, had one day at 44c,
Not that I have much choice, but I'll take -30 any day ... you can always keep warm by cuddling critters and drinking Fireball and hot choc.

Bottom line is tho', whatever the weather, Australia and Canada (alphabetical order) are always in the top ten best places on the planet in which to live. By the way, I hear that it's no longer compulsory to have a criminal record in order to get into Australia.
Old 08-01-2015, 22:57   #2394

Not that I have much choice, but I'll take -30 any day ... you can always keep warm by cuddling critters and drinking Fireball and hot choc.

Bottom line is tho', whatever the weather, Australia and Canada (alphabetical order) are always in the top ten best places on the planet in which to live. By the way, I hear that it's no longer compulsory to have a criminal record in order to get into Australia.[/QUOTE]

That's not nice Eric.

I thought you would have known, it's not the Fireball and hot choc that keeps you warm Eric, it's the fleas from the critters
Aussie Irene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 08:51   #2395
Junior Member+

It's looking like we could get our first lot of snow this evening. Stay safe on the roads everyone!
stjosephsfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 14:05   #2396
God Member

Time to bundle up folks.

Alerts for: Kingston - Prince Edward - Environment Canada
Old 13-01-2015, 18:18   #2397
Full Member+

I saw a picture in the paper the other day of a koala having its feet treated for burns after escaping the bush fires. Its so sad for the animals caught up in the fires (as well as the people, obviously), poor things.
Old 13-01-2015, 19:21   #2398
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by westendlass View Post
I saw a picture in the paper the other day of a koala having its feet treated for burns after escaping the bush fires. Its so sad for the animals caught up in the fires (as well as the people, obviously), poor things.
Any extreme weather is hard on the critters ... and some unfortunate humans, the one's that get left behind or pushed aside by life. We like to joke about our harsh winters; but the dangers are real. If one is taking a trip, particularly in the remoter areas of this country ... and there are lots of those ... one should be prepared for the worst. Most folks I know have a survival kit in their vehicles. Best advice is: If you get stuck in the middle of nowhere (Oswaldtwistle, for example), stay in your vehicle, fire up some canned heat, and wait. Oh, and hope.

Many animals don't survive. Stray cats, for example. But lots of folks put out food. If they have a gut full, and they can find a warmish place to hole up, they have a good chance of making it till spring.

Meanwhile, it is most definitely brass monkey weather here ... or, as we say, cold enough to freeze the nuts off of a steel bridge. But it looks as if there is a warming trend coming this weekend, and we may be back to normal ... which is -5 for a daytime high. Talking of a daytime high, it's time to spark up a joint, pour a big glass of Fireball and watch the idiot box.
westendlass likes this.
Old 13-01-2015, 20:14   #2399
Beacon of light

With your permission Eric......I am going to use that one 'Cold enough to freeze the nuts off a steel bridge' it made me smile
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 20:36   #2400
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
With your permission Eric......I am going to use that one 'Cold enough to freeze the nuts off a steel bridge' it made me smile
Go ahead, hon; be my guest. And if you want some cold weather to go with it, we got more than we need over here ... we can spare as much as you want.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..