Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

Like Tree73Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2015, 13:42   #2446
God Member

Re: weather??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accyexplorer View Post

....No chance of more of your extreme weather pics is there E?
I think the old batteries in my camera rebelled against the cold ... best I can do is a selfie. Maybe it's that selfie that [deleted] up my camera.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (362.7 KB, 28 views)
mobertol, maxthecollie and Turtle like this.
Eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 02-02-2015, 13:58   #2447
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric View Post
I think the old batteries in my camera rebelled against the cold ... best I can do is a selfie. Maybe it's that selfie that [deleted] up my camera.
Very photogenic E,What a delight for all the ladies of Accrington web (and the world) ...

...bet you've got a selfie stick hiding in your house

My photobucket account http://s28.photobucket.com/user/Accy...?sort=2&page=1
password--Accyweb
Accyexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 14:56   #2448
Senior Member+

Sorry Eric, can't handle this spine chilling 10deg any longer, off to Mexico, they say it's going to be 85 this week, pain doctor.
Eric likes this.
ossy kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2015, 15:24   #2449
God Member

Quote:
Very photogenic E,What a delight for all the ladies of Accrington web (and the world) ...

Are we looking at the same picture
Old 02-02-2015, 15:52   #2450
Senior Member+

Quote:
Are we looking at the same picture
Yes,"selfies" are usually done by those young urchins trying to look pretty,you however have broken that cycle by showing folk "selfies" are for all generations,I'll spare you the part about how you look well for your age and how your radiant appearance really shows in photo's..

...Let's face it, any picture which portrays oneself tends to be infinitely more interesting too

password--Accyweb
Old 02-02-2015, 17:13   #2451
God Member

Quote:
Yes,"selfies" are usually done by those young urchins trying to look pretty,you however have broken that cycle by showing folk "selfies" are for all generations,I'll spare you the part about how you look well for your age and how your radiant appearance really shows in photo's..

...Let's face it, any picture which portrays oneself tends to be infinitely more interesting too
And here's me thinking it was the eyebrows
Old 02-02-2015, 17:39   #2452
Senior Member+

I started doing a photocron at the new year. I have a good app for it. Started off with number 2 on top and clean shaven... A selfie every day... growing the hair and beard... a few months, perhaps a year down the line the app makes creates a video
Old 02-02-2015, 19:08   #2453

Quote:
You're braver than I am! I wouldn't dare to post a selfie of myself shovelling snow this morning - my grim countenance scared off all the wildlife (and the neighbours)
Eric and mobertol like this.
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:56   #2454
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
You're braver than I am! I wouldn't dare to post a selfie of myself shovelling snow this morning - my grim countenance scared off all the wildlife (and the neighbours)
Hi hon, check this out ... don't you feel sorry for those poor folks ... awww, -9

Snow blankets much of Britain after coldest night of the year | UK news | The Guardian

Turtle likes this.
Old 03-02-2015, 15:05   #2455
God Member

Great news ... the temperature has surged upwards to a bearable -19

Bad news ... it's snowing again.
mobertol and Turtle like this.
Old 03-02-2015, 16:13   #2456
Senior Member+

Why is it some folk seem not to be effected by the cold at all??
I see lads (and some girls) walking around town without a jacket sometimes in just a Tshirt ,some of them even wearing shorts......in this weather

Ive got to admit,Im envious in a way, I'm a lover of layers when it comes to clothes and I like to stay warm.

Im not "trolling" , I'm genuinely curious as to why some folk dont seem to feel the cold at all,is it folk just putting on a hard front or is it possible to build resistance to the cold ?

password--Accyweb
Old 03-02-2015, 17:20   #2457

I once had a theory that people from England came over to Canada with a kind of resistance to the cold winters over here. I, like many, grew up in Brit houses with no central heating, and with one coal fired fireplace to heat the whole house. I found my first couple of Canadian winters to be no trouble at all (I came over in 1966). The Canadian homes I lived in had central heating and were well insulated. Then after a couple of years I started to notice the cold. My child's mind saw this as my blood having become 'thinner'. Now I think that maybe my reliance on central heating lowered my resistance to cold temps.
mobertol and maxthecollie like this.
Old 03-02-2015, 17:21   #2458

Oops! Ever the turtle, me. My smilie ended up in the wrong place.
Old 03-02-2015, 17:53   #2459
God Member

Quote:
Why is it some folk seem not to be effected by the cold at all??
I see lads (and some girls) walking around town without a jacket sometimes in just a Tshirt ,some of them even wearing shorts......in this weather

Ive got to admit,Im envious in a way, I'm a lover of layers when it comes to clothes and I like to stay warm.

Im not "trolling" , I'm genuinely curious as to why some folk dont seem to feel the cold at all,is it folk just putting on a hard front or is it possible to build resistance to the cold ?
Don't think it's too much of the "hard front" or "resistance" ... it's just that, whatever the weather, shiite has to get done. Folks have to go to work, school, shopping, dog walking ... all the normal everyday kinda stuff. And snow has to be shoveled ... Snow and cold come ... the sanders, plows, and shovels come out, and, bingo, it's all sorted out until the next blast hits. And those wearing shorts and tees ... either they are Canadian (after all, -9 is a pleasant winter temperature) or just trying to show off how "tough" they are. All they really are is dumb.

I spent almost 20yrs in Saskatchewan, and have seen, and lived thru, temps in the minus 50s, without the windchill. You get used to it. Never learn to like it, but you just shrug your shoulders, put on your long johns, pick up your shovel, and get on with your life.
Old 03-02-2015, 18:12   #2460
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle View Post
I once had a theory that people from England came over to Canada with a kind of resistance to the cold winters over here. I, like many, grew up in Brit houses with no central heating, and with one coal fired fireplace to heat the whole house. I found my first couple of Canadian winters to be no trouble at all (I came over in 1966). The Canadian homes I lived in had central heating and were well insulated. Then after a couple of years I started to notice the cold. My child's mind saw this as my blood having become 'thinner'. Now I think that maybe my reliance on central heating lowered my resistance to cold temps.
Growing up in a similar environment, I thought I was hardy to the cold T,after seeing the youth of Accrington in shorts and Tshirts ,I've reassessed that opinion.
On the other hand Mother grew up in the same house and she can happily sit there with the logs burning and thata in the middle of the UK's hottest days (I'm not keen on being too hot either).
I guess I'm just mard when it comes to the weather

Quote:
Don't think it's too much of the "hard front" or "resistance" ... it's just that, whatever the weather, shiite has to get done. Folks have to go to work, school, shopping, dog walking ... all the normal everyday kinda stuff. And snow has to be shoveled ... Snow and cold come ... the sanders, plows, and shovels come out, and, bingo, it's all sorted out until the next blast hits. And those wearing shorts and tees ... either they are Canadian (after all, -9 is a pleasant winter temperature) or just trying to show off how "tough" they are. All they really are is dumb.

I spent almost 20yrs in Saskatchewan, and have seen, and lived thru, temps in the minus 50s, without the windchill. You get used to it. Never learn to like it, but you just shrug your shoulders, put on your long johns, pick up your shovel, and get on with your life.
Is it how our brains process temperature change then?

Or perhaps today's urchins are so dumb they don't feel the cold?

We use to get 'real snow' in winters back in the day (-10 max) and like you say life went on now it's more like:-

image.jpg

password--Accyweb

Last edited by Accyexplorer; 03-02-2015 at 18:15.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..