Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 15:58   #91
a multieloquent Mule

Xeno Tactic Champion!
Re: Wetherspoons Pub coming to Accy???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaysay View Post
Makes no difference to me Kate, a restaurants a restaurant a pubs a pub end of as far as I'm concerned
Must admit I like a Pub that's a Pub, a smoky (as was) den of depravity that served Draught Ale & the only bottles you get are Spirits or mixers (with maybe a couple of bottles of Milk Stout for Old Mary as she won't have owt else), non of your southern shandy drinking multi lumocoloured, sweet, sticky, fruity, trendy, alcopop rubbish thank you very much

But Pubs can't live by Ale alone so now we tend to see an increase in Gastro-pubs, where you don't just go for a bevvy after work or to watch the Footy or a fly pint before Sunday Dinner, that culture has long since disappeared, you may occasionally find a "Working Mans' Club" (also dying out due to the Equalities harridans) somewhere where time has stood still & they're true to the old ways but the majority of places now offer you an "experience".

It may not quite be the experience you'd like to partake of but it's just moving with the times & the Landlord hedging his bets to keep turnover coming in, simple enough to avoid if it's not your thing just go take refuge in the "Railway" (I believe that's the place for the harried & harassed to be ). You never know they may even organise a day out ! Enjoy it while you can !

DaveinGermany is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 03-04-2011, 20:15   #92
God Member

Re: Weatherspoons Pub coming to Accy???

Since you have wandered off topic
....this is a better depiction of a club coach trip

MargaretR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 08:24   #93
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargaretR View Post
Since you have wandered off topic
....this is a better depiction of a club coach trip
Well I've been on a few pub trips Margaret, but none of um quite like that
Old 04-04-2011, 18:10   #94
Senior Member+

If Pubs don't move with the times then the majority of them will close as we are seeing - how many have closed in Hyndburn in the last few years? Yes, let's keep the traditional watering holes, but do not dismiss the Gastro-Pubs out of hand.
What would you prefer, a Gastro-Pub in the centre of Accrington or a boarded up building?
I know what my preference is.
Old 06-04-2011, 13:30   #95
God Member

I would certainly have no objections to the Commercial being turned into a gastro-pub; it would cetainly be far preferable to Weatherspoons ruining the place.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 14:01   #96

I can't wait! Just what accy needs! a decent looking pub with good prices and a beer garden!!

Wahey! Is all I can say its been a long time coming!!!

- Look in the mirror before you start to judge others -
Lancashire Lassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 20:23   #97
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by katex View Post
Can see am banging my head against a strong (Nori ? ) brick wall here.

Of course, wouldn't like to see children in The Bridge/Bees Knees and places like this ... but is a dining pub. Take a look at their menu :

Quality Food, Great Value | Food Menu | J D Wetherspoon

It's because they cater for families, they are so successful.
Children are allowed in The Bees Knees during the day, but I agree with you Kate as to why they are so successful. As well as the fact they buy in bulk and don't have to pay for a music licence hence the cheap prices. Although at weekend nights the Brun Lea - Wetherspoons in Burnley, The Eric Bartholomew (Morecambe) and one of the Liverpool City Centre ones do play music.

With regards to the name I think it should be named after one of the Accy Pals or be named The Accrington Pals.

All in all i'm with Lancashire Lassie on this one, I can't wait.....cheap cocktail jugs!!!!! (haha)
Lolly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 20:48   #98
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

thinkin about it, aint such a bad idea, cheap ale, cheap scran, should keep all the brats outa what pubs are left.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:25   #99
Resting in Peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
thinkin about it, aint such a bad idea, cheap ale, cheap scran, should keep all the brats outa what pubs are left.
Never thought of it that way cashy
Old 07-04-2011, 16:26   #100
Senior Member+

Weatherspoons Pub coming to Accy???

Here is the site we are discussing where Weatherspoons are moving into
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 16:31   #101
Senior Member+

Weatherspoons Pub coming to Accy???

and second photo shows where Costa will be moving into, this is at the top end of Broadway, on the original site of The Odeon cinema
Atarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 17:05   #102
bzk
Junior Member+

I can't see why some people think Wetherspoons won't do well. In both Burnley and Blackburn they are probably their busiest pubs. There are TWO in Burnley and I bet they are the number 1 and 2 busiest pubs in the town centre. One is even busy on a Thursday night, can you say that about any pub in Accy these days?
bzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2011, 11:46   #103
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
Try it Cashy, I found the one in Bristol to be very good and there was no shortage of good pubs in Bristol - just the beer was crap but Kronenbourg is Kronenbourg
Old 21-04-2011, 12:21   #104
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Yates View Post
Try it Cashy, I found the one in Bristol to be very good and there was no shortage of good pubs in Bristol - just the beer was crap but Kronenbourg is Kronenbourg
used to pop in one in manchester centre about 10 yrs ago, wi daughter, disliked intensely.
Old 21-04-2011, 16:39   #105

The real ale in Spoons is good. Abbot ale is the house beer which is very nice, along with Ruddles which tastes like dishwater.

Last edited by phil8715; 21-04-2011 at 16:42.
phil8715 is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..