Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 19:31   #16
Resident Waffler

Re: what age should a child be left in on their own??

Yes some are far more immature than others.

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 09-05-2007, 19:41   #17
Resting in Peace

Agree, have got to know your own child, but would not myself have left even a 13-year old, only because of the child I was at that age.

My gran lived with us until she died when I was thirteen. My mum and dad wanted to go to my Aunt and Uncles up Burnley Road near Huncoat. Was quite happy to let me be on my own ... an adventure I thought.

Took myself off to bed,but was not the human variety or thoughts of fire that scared me, just that my imagination ran riot and started thinking of goolies, spooks, you name it. Got myself dressed and walked all the way up to my Aunts. Will not forget the look on my mum's face as she saw me at the door, and how she must have been embarassed about what my Aunt was thinking.

Even later in life at 18 .. brother taken himself off to Cambridge, and at last got the backroom to myself (always slept in the same room as my parents.. 2 up/2down). One night very windy and could have sworn someone knocked on the closet door .. never went back in that room again.

So you see, not always about Human dangers, a young mind can be scared of other elements.
katex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 19:43   #18
Beacon of light

From the age of 11 I was responsible for my three younger brothers. I used to get them ready for school in a morning.....and take the youngest to the child minder. I also had chores to do in the home. I know I felt very grown up.....and believe I was very sensible. I have always felt that these responsibilities, given to me by my parents because they trusted me, made me the person I am today.
I do not think you can generalise about what is the right age to leave a child....you have to know the maturity and the capapbilities of the child before you make such a decision.
Margaret Pilkington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 19:44   #19
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
You need to have them at home so they can carry you up the stairs and dump you on your bed when you get in
No I tend to get phone calls half way through the night asking me what time they should expect me home!!!!!

In fact after stanley match at clitheroe on monday I dropped some people off back at oaklea and was dragged into the pub against my will and then got a phone call from my eldest asking me where I was and did I know what time it was!!!!

So I think in this household there is a bit of role reversal going on...just wish they did all washing and ironing too

I know this may come as a shock but believe it or not all views I may air on here are my own work!!!!!
harwood red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2007, 19:46   #20
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margaret Pilkington View Post
From the age of 11 I was responsible for my three younger brothers. I used to get them ready for school in a morning.....and take the youngest to the child minder. I also had chores to do in the home. I know I felt very grown up.....and believe I was very sensible. I have always felt that these responsibilities, given to me by my parents because they trusted me, made me the person I am today.
I do not think you can generalise about what is the right age to leave a child....you have to know the maturity and the capapbilities of the child before you make such a decision.
When I was 12 I used to be kept off school to look after my several month old brother while my stepmother went to bingo........ cow
Old 09-05-2007, 19:48   #21
Beacon of light

I can also remember during the school summer holidays collecting pop bottles so that we could get the money to go on the bus to Whalley. I certainly would not be much older than 12. I made a picnic and we spent the day on the banks of the Ribble in Whalley...the boys fished for tiddlers and sticklebacks....I collected a large bunch of very stinky wild garlic flowers and we went home at teatime, having had a lovely adventurous day.......can you imagine the headlines today if a mother allowed her children to do such things.
It was all part of growing up and I would not have had it any other way.
Old 09-05-2007, 19:49   #22
Beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancsdave View Post
When I was 12 I used to be kept off school to look after my several month old brother while my stepmother went to bingo........ cow
I was very proud that my parents entrusted the care of my brothers to me....although sometimes they were a blooming imbuggerance.
Old 09-05-2007, 19:58   #23
Administrator

Ace Driver Champion!
Onslaught 2.1 Champion!
Defender of the Holy Pig Champion!

Quote:
..I made a picnic and we spent the day on the banks of the Ribble in Whalley...the boys fished for tiddlers...
I am not trying to be awkward (for a change ), but the Ribble does not go through Whalley. The Calder does though.
Old 09-05-2007, 20:02   #24
Beacon of light

OK Neil....it wasn't the Ribble......but we had a picnic on the banks of whatever river it is that runs through Whalley. I never was any good at geography....even local stuff.
Old 09-05-2007, 20:13   #25
God Member

Quote:
I was very proud that my parents entrusted the care of my brothers to me....although sometimes they were a blooming imbuggerance.
Unfortunatley it wasn't that sort of environment I lived in. Fair to say if I was a child nowadays living under her roof she would be locked up.
Old 09-05-2007, 20:16   #26
Resting in Peace

Bin there, done that Margaret.

One thing I was always grateful for though, I was never a 'latch-key' child, always my mum/gran to greet me with a lovely meal at the end of a school day.

Would not ever have given my children/grandaughter the responsibilty of this title either, even when becoming a single parent when my son was 4 ... always made sure he had somewhere safe to go until I got home .. no choice but to earn a crust for them you see .. but the thought of them having to return from school to an empty house made my skin crawl. However, as in the thread that this has sprung from would not be judgemental of other people.
Old 09-05-2007, 20:22   #27
Beacon of light

Katex, both of my parents worked......there were 7 of us with me being the eldest......so work was a necessity if you wanted to eat....there was very little available in the way of benefits in those days.....I'm talking 1950's.
I always knew that cash was limited and that to do my share was important...it helped my parents to put bread on the table. We NEVER had holidays....there wasn't the money to do that......but we had a warm comfortable home...plenty of books, records and we played outside a lot. I didn't feel like a latch key child.
We also had good neihbours who would look out for us too.
It was a different kind of life.......but some of the things that we did, our parents would be severely censured for in todays climate.
Old 09-05-2007, 20:28   #28
Resting in Peace

Like I said Margaret .. not judgemental at all .. worked for your family then.. crumbs !! 7 children, eh ?

Yeh, think these days .. probably will be open to more criticism.
Old 09-05-2007, 20:33   #29

Well i would not like to say my brother was baby sitting for some one at 15 year,s of age
mallard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 14:56   #30

It completely depends on the person. I have been able to look after myself (to and from school, home alone etc) pretty much from the last year of primary school(16 now). I do know that this would have been too early for some but for me I would have been able to manage it earlier. Saying that I would be useless as a child minder and have no doubt that there are countless 13 year olds out there that would outshine me in an instant.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..