Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-10-2007, 19:04   #1
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!
Cribbage Master Champion!

What Are They?

noticed at the bottom of owd bobs, where they are demolishing the old G@A plastics factory, on the gable wall are 5 red brick arches diminishing in size the further up the gable you go. the highest 2 are probably about 4ft, just wondered what they were once used as? think the factory was black and whites before it became G@A, just thought after another week probably they will have vanished forever, any ideas? its bugging me. thanks.
Old 08-10-2007, 19:13   #2
God Member

Re: What Are They?

go and take some pics of it cashy
Old 08-10-2007, 19:17   #3
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashytart View Post
go and take some pics of it cashy
cant left me camera in spain.lol plus if i had it, dont know how to put em on here.
Old 08-10-2007, 19:20   #4
God Member

ya dozey ******,lol, i havent been down owd bobs in ages, i used to love going down to gatty park wi mi grandad when i was ickler, i remember when there was a bit of water to the left of the wall on owd bobs field, we used to go fishing for newts in it, sadly its not there anymore
Old 08-10-2007, 20:03   #5
God Member

Could they be for a hoist? Just a thought for when they were getting big loads delivered.
Old 08-10-2007, 21:51   #6
Resident Waffler

Oh I wish I'd known earlier. We just drove past that way tonight and I had my camera with me too!

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 00:26   #7
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BERNADETTE View Post
Could they be for a hoist? Just a thought for when they were getting big loads delivered.
no sure they wern't for a hoist bernie, wondered if they were owt to do with the river stink? does it go directly under there?
Old 09-10-2007, 00:35   #8
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
no sure they wern't for a hoist bernie, wondered if they were owt to do with the river stink? does it go directly under there?
Possibly but I do have a vague memory of them taking stuff in there. Could be wrong it is just in my head since you asked. Will see if I can find some more out from my brother.
Old 09-10-2007, 00:44   #9
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Oh I wish I'd known earlier. We just drove past that way tonight and I had my camera with me too!
the arches consist of 3 red brick stood on the long edge of the brick,in a semi circle, the center is red brick faced, wondered if they had been put in when the arches were no longer useful, if that makes any sense?
Old 09-10-2007, 00:47   #10
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Possibly but I do have a vague memory of them taking stuff in there. Could be wrong it is just in my head since you asked. Will see if I can find some more out from my brother.
the arches are only 4ft high and start ground level,thats why i discount the hoist.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:24   #11
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashman View Post
the arches are only 4ft high and start ground level,thats why i discount the hoist.
The more I think of it I can see the lorries dropping things off when it was an engineering firm. Surely somebody else can remember it, after all I was only a kid but I can see the deliveries being made at the bottom of Owd Bob's. That was definetly the delivery point.
Old 09-10-2007, 04:00   #12
God Member

sorry for the wander , but I wonder if any members of the local historical society follow this web-site for tips about Accringtons past , because stuff is thrown up on here from time to time which should definatly be noted down or looked into
steeljack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 13:54   #13
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
The more I think of it I can see the lorries dropping things off when it was an engineering firm. Surely somebody else can remember it, after all I was only a kid but I can see the deliveries being made at the bottom of Owd Bob's. That was definetly the delivery point.
there is actually an owd wooden "loading door" just above the 2 nd arch,so definately that must have been used for deliveries, but those arches??
Old 10-10-2007, 14:50   #14
Resident Waffler

Could they have been windows? (I haven't been and looked yet.)

WillowTheWhisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 16:04   #15
Coffin Dodger.

Jewel Quest Champion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillowTheWhisp View Post
Could they have been windows? (I haven't been and looked yet.)
possible willow,but think it would be rare at ground level, for a factory anyway?

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..