Accrington Web

Home Gallery Arcade Blogs Members List Today's Posts
Go Back   Accrington Web > AccyWeb > Questions and Answers
Donate! Join Today

Questions and Answers Feel free to ask any questions about Accrington and the surrounding area and hopefully one of our members can help you out.

Welcome to Accrington Web!

We are a discussion forum dedicated to the towns of Accrington, Oswaldtwistle and the surrounding areas, sometimes referred to as Hyndburn! We are a friendly bunch please feel free to browse or read on for more info.
You are currently viewing our site as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, photos, play in the community arcade and use our blog section. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please, join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 22-08-2009, 21:38   #16
God Member

Re: What is the cheapest, healthy recipe you know of?

road kill is free

take a walk over the tops and look for mangled rabbits

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

Last edited by Mick; 23-08-2009 at 04:41.
accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Accrington Web
Old 22-08-2009, 21:42   #17
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1 View Post
I transport the goods to the shop .

Message - Accrington Gallery

So you'll know how ruddy expensive Booths is then!!

Ive been watching my weight recently and also expense, so eat a lot of very simple healthy stuff! Such as Stir Frys, Baked Spuds with various fillings, Beans on Toast etc. You can get large bags of Stir Fry veg at places like Asda for as little as 50p which can do for 2 meals. The secret i think is ...depending on whether you like spices or not... to add as much flavour as you can..i love chilli and garlic, again you can get these fresh and cheap and because they are strong flavours you feel like you are eating a lot, even though you arnt! Bottled spicey sauces near there sell by date are also good in stir frys. I've even managed to buy Smoked Salmon very cheap at Asda recently, they sell smoked salmon scraps, pre-packed for only 88p!! Again lots of flavour and really good for you! I would echo another post about Lambs Liver too, very cheap and full of B vitamins, again because i like spicey food, i pan fry it in a little oil or butter along with chopped garlic and chilli...lovely! Supermarket Cheese is pretty cheap usually around £1.50 for own brand 200grm pack, great grated with spuds..on toast..or grilled with an egg on top....oh and theres another...if you buy the cheapest supermarket eggs they are around 88p for 6!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 21:46   #18
Senior Member+

I don't set the prices . I just drive for them .
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 21:46   #19
Senior Member+

soup/stew, add some pasta and lentils and its pretty filling
i made fritata the other day, fried up some veg (i had pre boiled potatoes,courgettes,mushrooms, peas) and a bit of ham then mixed it with some eggs in the frying pan, left to cook then grilled the top... bit like an omellette but thicker, was nice

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 21:48   #20

Cheese is fine for the cheap meals but remember its pretty much pure saturated fat so aint doing the healthy side of things any good.

Healthy food at a reasonable price try the veggie options - Quorn and Linda McCartney stuff is often on special offer so you can have a meal for about the quid mark. No doubt it doesn't taste as good as real meat but it is ridiculously healthy again high protein low fat low sat fat low salt.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 21:49   #21
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taggy View Post
So you'll know how ruddy expensive Booths is then!!

Ive been watching my weight recently and also expense, so eat a lot of very simple healthy stuff! Such as Stir Frys, Baked Spuds with various fillings, Beans on Toast etc. You can get large bags of Stir Fry veg at places like Asda for as little as 50p which can do for 2 meals. The secret i think is ...depending on whether you like spices or not... to add as much flavour as you can..i love chilli and garlic, again you can get these fresh and cheap and because they are strong flavours you feel like you are eating a lot, even though you arnt! Bottled spicey sauces near there sell by date are also good in stir frys. I've even managed to buy Smoked Salmon very cheap at Asda recently, they sell smoked salmon scraps, pre-packed for only 88p!! Again lots of flavour and really good for you! I would echo another post about Lambs Liver too, very cheap and full of B vitamins, again because i like spicey food, i pan fry it in a little oil or butter along with chopped garlic and chilli...lovely! Supermarket Cheese is pretty cheap usually around £1.50 for own brand 200grm pack, great grated with spuds..on toast..or grilled with an egg on top....oh and theres another...if you buy the cheapest supermarket eggs they are around 88p for 6!!

Best Regards - Taggy

I have been eating stir fry, I like throwing my salmon in it. I won't buy battery farmed eggs because I believe you get quality out of what is put into the animal. I wouldn't buy meat from the supermarket either if it wasn't from a good, British source, but I'd rather buy from the local butcher when I get chance. Otherwise I do without.

The only thing that I eat or drink that I'd consider unethical is Coca-Cola. Everything else tends to be locally sourced. But I want to stretch it out to get the best that I can out of it. Rather than hunting down cheap meals.

I can eat my 70p shepherds pie when I'm on my last £2, but I'd like to be able to avoid that in future by being as efficient as possible with what I actually cook. Like, if I buy a chicken, I'd like to know how to make a soup the next day out of the carcass... for example.
blazey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 21:50   #22
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Cheese is fine for the cheap meals but remember its pretty much pure saturated fat so aint doing the healthy side of things any good.

Healthy food at a reasonable price try the veggie options - Quorn and Linda McCartney stuff is often on special offer so you can have a meal for about the quid mark. No doubt it doesn't taste as good as real meat but it is ridiculously healthy again high protein low fat low sat fat low salt.

I don't eat processed foods if I can help it. I don't class it as 'healthy' if it's full of crap to keep it all stuck together either.
Old 22-08-2009, 21:51   #23
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
road kill is free

take a walk over the tops and look for mangled rabbits

if you fancy a curry look at roadsides for cats
Did you watch that episode of wife swap with the hunter husband who did actually bring home roadkill to eat?

We have rabbits running around campus and a gunsmith in town. How easy do you reckon I could get a licence?

And how quick do you reckon I'd get caught shooting rabbits on campus
Old 22-08-2009, 21:52   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
I don't eat processed foods if I can help it. I don't class it as 'healthy' if it's full of crap to keep it all stuck together either.
Ah so by healthy you don't mean nutritionally sound.
SamF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 21:54   #25
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamF View Post
Ah so by healthy you don't mean nutritionally sound.
eh? that doesnt make sense... processed food is nutritionally sound?

I finally found someone daft enough to marry me, my wonderboy is 11, my monkeygirl is 3 and my bananaman is 2, my beautiful little flower was born in feb 2012
emamum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 21:55   #26
Senior Member+

Onion Soup!!

Best Regards - Taggy
Taggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 21:57   #27
Senior Member+

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazey View Post
Did you watch that episode of wife swap with the hunter husband who did actually bring home roadkill to eat?

We have rabbits running around campus and a gunsmith in town. How easy do you reckon I could get a licence?

And how quick do you reckon I'd get caught shooting rabbits on campus
I know the gunsmiths shop . I come past it daily .
david1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 21:58   #28
God Member

I don't want to be eating stuff out of a packet that I just have to throw into the oven.

I want fresh ingredients. Put into a home cooked meal. Supporting local farmers and industry.

I'm struggling to see what is so difficult about this concept.

It doesn't matter now anyway. I'll look at the recipes in the community section and ask the butcher.
Old 22-08-2009, 21:58   #29
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david1 View Post
I know the gunsmiths shop . I come past it daily .
guns excite you do they ?

ive just started a relationship with a blind woman !Its quite rewarding but quite challenging ! it took me ages to get her husbands voice right

accyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-08-2009, 21:59   #30
God Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by accyman View Post
2.2 air rifle and a scope , silent kill from a distance then walk and collect your lunch when the coast is clear

use any spare pellets to kill cats for practice

yes i did see that episode of wife swap i thought it was hilarious , teh guy was pretty much a knob though infact i reakon he wa steh weird kid at school and how teh hell e ever found a wife god knows , maybe he tortured her in to it or somat ?
I really liked him! I remember thinking to myself that I want a life just like that, husband included. Fantastic.

Other sites of interest.. More town sites..